logo
Old 01-11-2021, 05:46 PM
Find More Posts by Motomazzo
United States, TX
Joined Nov 2019
2,354 Posts
Discussion
Servo Matcher/Reverser with Spektrum Radio

Hello - Question. I have read in the manual for the AR12310T receiver not to use any reversing "Y" harness. What I'd like to know is "why", for one. But also, is this a hard "No"? Or, is it one of those things that if you hook one up and all works as advertised, are you good to go? The note in the manual only says that doing so "may cause servos to operate erratically or not function at all." Sort of sounds like a disclaimer. It also doesn't tell you if that means the servos hooked to the reverser only. Or does it potentially adversely affect ALL servos connected to the receiver? Anyway, thanks for any input / experience you may have with this.
Motomazzo is offline Find More Posts by Motomazzo
Last edited by Motomazzo; 01-11-2021 at 07:04 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 01-11-2021, 06:24 PM
Find More Posts by Bunky F. Knuckle
Just your Average Joe.
Joined Jan 2006
9,237 Posts
Please do not use a Y harness or Reversing Y harness, you are adding failure points. If your Tx has the capability of mixing and matching servos. You have the 12 ch Rx, so as long as you have a minimum of a 9ch Tx, depending on your aircraft choice, so each servo gets its own channel.
Bunky F. Knuckle is offline Find More Posts by Bunky F. Knuckle
Old 01-11-2021, 06:38 PM
United States, TX
Joined Nov 2019
2,354 Posts
I need 10 channels and I have a 9 channel Black Edition. Do you know what’s behind the matching / reverser problem? I am not an electronics guru so I don’t understand it.
Old 01-11-2021, 07:10 PM
Find More Posts by tande
United States, MI, Millington
Joined Sep 2008
1,832 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomazzo View Post
I need 10 channels and I have a 9 channel Black Edition. Do you know what’s behind the matching / reverser problem? I am not an electronics guru so I don’t understand it.
FWIW......just use this & be done with it .......
tande is offline Find More Posts by tande
Old 01-11-2021, 07:14 PM
United States, TX
Joined Nov 2019
2,354 Posts
Tande -

Right. I was either going with the Equalizer II or the PowerBox MicroMatch. But I’m now questioning using either if the Spektrum receiver can’t tolerate them.

Do you use the Equalizer II with your Spektrum receiver? Thanks.

JAM
Old 01-11-2021, 07:51 PM
Find More Posts by DGrant
Just havin' fun!
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2006
1,832 Posts
Double check, but you should be fine with a MatchBox. Spektrum is specific in every radio/Rx to not use a reversing Y though. So the reverse thing is definitely NO.

The only reason you'd need a reverse-Y would be to mirror your elevator servos... which is why we suggested to put the Matchbox on the rudder servos into single channel(which don't need to be mirrored), and run each elevator to its own dedicated channel (one will need reversing in the tranny to mirror them).

Makey sensey?
DGrant is offline Find More Posts by DGrant
Old 01-11-2021, 07:57 PM
Find More Posts by FGNewbie
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Mar 2010
6,421 Posts
matchbox or something similar would be fine. the problem with reversers is that they sometimes drift which is really bad if the servos are ganged together.
FGNewbie is offline Find More Posts by FGNewbie
Old 01-11-2021, 08:12 PM
Find More Posts by tande
Joined Sep 2008
1,832 Posts
Quote:
Tande -

Right. I was either going with the Equalizer II or the PowerBox MicroMatch. But I’m now questioning using either if the Spektrum receiver can’t tolerate them.

Do you use the Equalizer II with your Spektrum receiver? Thanks.

JAM
I've used "Many" Equalizer II with no issues......BUT I also don't use Spektrum products.....sorry, wish I could help
Old 01-11-2021, 08:30 PM
United States, TX
Joined Nov 2019
2,354 Posts
Okay, so I WOULD be using this on the rudder. That’s been the plan all along. I won’t be using the reversing function but didn’t know if using a widget that had that capability would still put me in jeopardy? I was planning on using the Equalizer II or the PowerBox MicroMatch but only to tweak the servos and make sure they’re not fighting each other. So is using a widget like these okay with Spektrum as long as I don’t use the reversing function?
Old 01-11-2021, 08:54 PM
Find More Posts by tande
Joined Sep 2008
1,832 Posts
Quote:
Okay, so I WOULD be using this on the rudder. That’s been the plan all along. I won’t be using the reversing function but didn’t know if using a widget that had that capability would still put me in jeopardy? I was planning on using the Equalizer II or the PowerBox MicroMatch but only to tweak the servos and make sure they’re not fighting each other. So is using a widget like these okay with Spektrum as long as I don’t use the reversing function?
OK.....so it sounds like you are using two servos on a single control surface (rudder)?......if yes, then you really need a "Servo Balancing" device to do the job correctly ......the Equalizer II is not that device.....
Old 01-11-2021, 08:54 PM
Find More Posts by FGNewbie
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Mar 2010
6,421 Posts
you can use servo reversing on the external devices without a problem. the receiver has no idea what is on the other end. when it becomes a problem is when the servos fight each other, which in itself has nothing to do with the reversing function. like the ailerons, you simply want to ensure that the servos don't fight each other through their range of travel. i have used a JR Matchbox in a 38% Yak for exactly what you describe.
FGNewbie is offline Find More Posts by FGNewbie
Old 01-11-2021, 09:30 PM
United States, TX
Joined Nov 2019
2,354 Posts
Okay. It was my understanding the JR MatchBox was no longer made. I thought the Equalizer II and the PowerBox MicroMatch would accomplish the same thing. If so, just wanted to be sure they would play nice with the Spektrum Receiver.
Old 01-12-2021, 06:08 AM
United States, TX
Joined Nov 2019
2,354 Posts
Here is an excerpt from the PowerBox MicroMatch product from PowerBox’s website:

..... “The MicroMatch provides a very simple method of fine-tuning the servo travels and centre positions of both outputs. Its main application is for systems where two servos operate a single control surface; the unit can match them electronically to run exactly in parallel. This prevents the servos counteracting each other, and allows the torque and speed of both servos to be exploited to the full. A further positive effect is a significant reduction in current drain and servo wear.

The MicroMatch includes a servo reverse function which changes the direction of rotation of the servos with a single click. This is ideal for elevator servos which are installed as a mirror-image pair, allowing them to be operated using just one channel. Further applications are twin rudders or steerable nosewheels........”

So, after some discussion here - I guess the question becomes - Would this product be okay to use with Spektrum so long as I do not use the reversing function? Or is the fact that is HAS a reversing function a deal-killer, even if it’s not used? I am going to contact PowerBox to get their input as well. Same with Smart-Fly.
Old 01-12-2021, 06:12 AM
United States, TX
Joined Nov 2019
2,354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tande View Post
OK.....so it sounds like you are using two servos on a single control surface (rudder)?......if yes, then you really need a "Servo Balancing" device to do the job correctly ......the Equalizer II is not that device.....
Tande -

Do you mind elaborating on that a bit for me? I have been looking at both the PowerBox product and the Equalizer II. According to the Smart-Fly website, servo balancing is the purpose of the Equalizer II. I would like to know, from your experience, why you say that. Thank you.

From Smart-Fly:

“The Equalizer II can control the centering and throw of two servos. This accomplishes several things. First, it increases battery life, especially with digital servos, when multiple servos are used to control a single surface such as the rudder. It does this since the servos precisely track each other over the full positive and negative travel range. The servos are no longer wasting energy fighting each other. The other benefit of this is increased power being transferred to the flight surface instead of to the other servo(s). With the servos no longer fighting each other the full torque of the servos can be transferred to the flight surface. The Equalizer II can also reverse the direction of any servo. The Equalizer II uses a three-point calibration on each output to precisely control the centering positive throw and negative throw of the servo attached to that output. The user sets the centering, positive endpoint and negative endpoint during setup and the Equalizer II will adjust the natural servo travel to the calibrated travel over the entire range of the servo. The Equalizer II was designed to make it easy for one person to perform the setup. The Equalizer II has options the user can setup before the servo adjustments that tailor the Equalizer II to the task at hand making setup easy and painless.“
Old 01-12-2021, 10:47 AM
United States, TX
Joined Nov 2019
2,354 Posts
FWIW - I just received this email response back from Smart-Fly:

“Hi,
I think the Spektrum manual is referring to the cheap reversing units that Hobby King sells that are analog. These drift with temperature. The Equalizer is completely digital with a crystal reference. It does not drift.

We can be use with all types of receivers and you can use all the functions of the Equalizer with your receiver.”

Quick Reply