Old 01-21-2020, 11:06 PM
Find More Posts by ululi1970
United States, NC, Chapel Hill
Joined Jan 2016
32 Posts
Question
How to use and maintain a GT80 spring starter

I recently acquired a P47 with a GT80. To use the spring starter,
how many turns should be applied from where compression start?

Also, the seller mentioned that I should apply a lubricant to the starter one-way bearing. Do I need to disassemble the starter in order to lubricate it?

I searched online, but the manual on the horizonHobby website does not mention the sprint starter at all.

Thanks
ululi1970 is offline Find More Posts by ululi1970
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 01-21-2020, 11:15 PM
Find More Posts by 2walla
United States, WA, Walla Walla
Joined Apr 2007
2,359 Posts
You have to pull the engine to get to the spring starter as its on the back inside the mount. It needs greased every year. If you let the grease dry up it can seize up and break the spring and or the mount, and or the crankcase. so not good..

On starting it-- get it wet and about 1/2 turn back and let go.. watch your hands.
2walla is offline Find More Posts by 2walla
Old 01-22-2020, 07:13 AM
Joined Jan 2016
32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2walla View Post
You have to pull the engine to get to the spring starter as its on the back inside the mount. It needs greased every year. If you let the grease dry up it can seize up and break the spring and or the mount, and or the crankcase. so not good..

On starting it-- get it wet and about 1/2 turn back and let go.. watch your hands.
Thanks. I was planning to pull the engine anyway to make sure there are no surprises (around here mud wasps can build nests pretty much anywhere...). Once the engine is off the firewall, do I need to
take the whole starter apart to grease it? And what kind of grease? I recently replaced the front wheel bearings on my truck, so I have that kind of grease on hand.
Old 01-22-2020, 07:25 AM
Find More Posts by Bill Vargas
3W/ZDZ Flyer
United States, CA, Apple Valley
Joined Mar 2011
3,263 Posts
Grease for the spring starter bearing here at B & B,,, http://www.bennettbuilt.com/shop/Eng...ng_Grease.html
Bill Vargas is offline Find More Posts by Bill Vargas
Old 01-22-2020, 10:34 AM
Find More Posts by BarracudaHockey
Multi Platform Pilot
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Dec 2007
9,838 Posts
Those things scart the hell out of me, I converted mine to EI and did away with the half ton of weight associated with that.
BarracudaHockey is offline Find More Posts by BarracudaHockey
Old 01-22-2020, 12:54 PM
Find More Posts by waldo3690
United States, IL, Champaign
Joined Jul 2009
89 Posts
I converted mine as well. Easy start, runs and idles better loose the weight of coil and fly wheel for a very reasonable.
waldo3690 is online now Find More Posts by waldo3690
Old 01-22-2020, 01:27 PM
Find More Posts by Texastbird
United States, TX, La Porte
Joined Oct 2008
1,263 Posts
I have to admit that I have used wheel bearing grease on my G62 spring starter. Works fine as well as I can tell. It helps to have someone hold the plane down while you are flipping the spring starter. At least until you get comfortable with how it operates.
Texastbird is offline Find More Posts by Texastbird
Old 01-22-2020, 02:36 PM
Find More Posts by Truckracer
Des Moines, Iowa USA
Joined Nov 2007
5,019 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texastbird View Post
I have to admit that I have used wheel bearing grease on my G62 spring starter. Works fine as well as I can tell. It helps to have someone hold the plane down while you are flipping the spring starter. At least until you get comfortable with how it operates.
A thick grease like wheel bearing grease will work just fine in warm weather but may prevent the one way bearing from working properly when it gets colder. Frankly though I don't remember what grease I used when these were common. These starters were the hot ticket on the old mag equipped engines and especially on warbirds where you needed the weight anyway. EI all the way though if you don't need the weight. I never found them uncomfortable or awkward to use and in fact, they could be a blessing at times.
Truckracer is online now Find More Posts by Truckracer
Old 01-22-2020, 03:36 PM
Find More Posts by Tony Hallo
springdale, pa usa
Joined Aug 2006
690 Posts
Zenoah's were difficult to start due to the three magnet design.. Agreed the spring starter was a blessing.
Tony Hallo is offline Find More Posts by Tony Hallo
Old 01-22-2020, 03:55 PM
Find More Posts by Bill Vargas
3W/ZDZ Flyer
United States, CA, Apple Valley
Joined Mar 2011
3,263 Posts
Once you had it figured out with the clocking of the prop and the magnets the spring start worked great !
Bill Vargas is offline Find More Posts by Bill Vargas
Old 01-22-2020, 09:29 PM
Joined Jan 2016
32 Posts
Thanks for all the good suggestions. I have ordered a tube of grease from B&B.

I am new to the world of Giant, so I have a lot to learn. One thing though caught my attention.
While I was looking for the Zenoah manual, I noticed that Horizon Hobby sells the Zenoah GT80 for $899. From Horizon I can get a DLE 120 for $150 less that the Zenoah. Almost twice the power and almost 2 lbs less.
So why does the Zenoah command such a high premium? I understand that especially for warbirds, one needs all the weight upfront that can be mustered, but $150 buys a lot of lead.
I also understand that Zenoahs can shed a lot of weight by moving to EI and dispensing with the spring starter, but that probably adds another $100 to the deal.

Of course, in my case I do not care, since I got the Zenoah as a package deal and as long as it hauls the P47 I will be happy, but I am just curious about such a price differential.
Old 01-22-2020, 10:14 PM
Find More Posts by 2walla
United States, WA, Walla Walla
Joined Apr 2007
2,359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ululi1970 View Post
Thanks for all the good suggestions. I have ordered a tube of grease from B&B.

Of course, in my case I do not care, since I got the Zenoah as a package deal and as long as it hauls the P47 I will be happy, but I am just curious about such a price differential.
Two things. One. Quality costs money and Two. See one.

Horizon likes to maximize profit and probably figures they can make more selling 100 cheap engines than 10 higher quality ones. Most modelers are too cheap and a model engine that will go 1000 plus hours doesn’t appeal to them.
2walla is offline Find More Posts by 2walla
Old 01-23-2020, 07:15 AM
Joined Jan 2016
32 Posts
My experience with DLEs is limited to a couple of 20cc, and
they have been reliable engines (I wish I were as reliable a pilot )

So Zenoahs must really be great engines.
In this case, I am even more pleased with my purchase. The whole
p47 RTF costed me less than the engine alone!
Old 01-23-2020, 10:45 AM
Find More Posts by Philkoury
United States, MS, Picayune
Joined Feb 2007
437 Posts
I am a Zenoah user and all but one of my models are War Birds that need the weight. I have a 16 year old G-62 in my Bates Wildcat and the G-445 in my Byron T-28 is going on 18 years. Both still running strong. I have changed the plugs but nothing else. I did buy carb rebuild kits but have not needed to use them. Except for the old days when some fliers still used the Lawnboy Ashless oil I have never seen a worn out Zenoah.
All of my spring starters are in plastic bags on the shelf since I now use an electric starter for both Magneto and EI engines. I had a shoulder injury years ago so I had to use the electric starter, after healing I stayed with the starter for the ease of it.
Philkoury is offline Find More Posts by Philkoury

Quick Reply