logo
Old 10-09-2018, 08:54 AM
Find More Posts by Geno
Lets play a game of WATCH THIS
Kelowna, BC Canada
Joined Dec 2008
2,937 Posts
For our elevation and style of flying your seeking dan..cans would be the way to go. Pipes give you more top end ..great for heavier airframes or higher elevation when the extra power is needed. I haven't ran pipes now for 6yrs and couldn't be happier with the proflows. Just my opinion
Geno is offline Find More Posts by Geno
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 10-10-2018, 08:00 PM
Find More Posts by banditpowdercoat
Canucklehead
Canada, BC, Malakwa
Joined Aug 2017
37 Posts
Where's the thumbs up button LOL. Thx Geno. I guess I'll add Pro Flows to my list to get.
banditpowdercoat is offline Find More Posts by banditpowdercoat
Old 10-20-2018, 02:43 AM
Find More Posts by The Beast
United States, OH, Hudson
Joined Jan 2017
61 Posts
I had a tech from desert air tell me you will get MORE POWER with gp but its not gona last as long he had no reson to lie
The Beast is offline Find More Posts by The Beast
Old 10-20-2018, 09:35 AM
Find More Posts by svan
United States, IA, Marshalltown
Joined Feb 2017
294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beast View Post
I had a tech from desert air tell me you will get MORE POWER with gp but its not gona last as long he had no reson to lie
I would agree in principle with that statement. An engine producing more power from the same displacement would tend to wear faster however the GP 123 uses very high quality components and will give long service, particularly compared to the DLE 120. Observations I have made of the 3 engines over the last 5 years in my club are that the GP 123 is very similar to the DA 120 and much better than the DLE 120.
I purchased my GP 123 from Joe at Aviator Plus and he has provided service to guys in my club on a par with DA.
svan is offline Find More Posts by svan
Old 10-20-2018, 11:32 PM
Find More Posts by velocity
Joined Dec 2011
493 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by svan View Post
I would agree in principle with that statement. An engine producing more power from the same displacement would tend to wear faster however the GP 123 uses very high quality components and will give long service, particularly compared to the DLE 120. Observations I have made of the 3 engines over the last 5 years in my club are that the GP 123 is very similar to the DA 120 and much better than the DLE 120.
I purchased my GP 123 from Joe at Aviator Plus and he has provided service to guys in my club on a par with DA.
Totally agree
velocity is offline Find More Posts by velocity
Old 10-21-2018, 12:16 PM
Find More Posts by kaboomski
In thrust we trust!
Finland, Uusimaa, HKI
Joined Feb 2010
383 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beast View Post
I had a DA-120 in a stick type plane. I fly lazy level eights and loops, no 3D. At the beginning of the flight #91 the crankshaft twisted and resulted the engine to stop. This was repaired under warranty. About 300 flights later this happened again. This time I had to pay for the repair from my own wallet, the cost was roughly one third of the price of a new engine. Before the second crash the engine started having reliability issues. The engine stopped at the end of vertical uplines such as stall turns. And yes, we did a lot of testing and tuning trying to fix this, unsuccessfully. After one of these dead sticks of the dozens of them I was had no space to land properly and lost the airframe. I moved the engine to a slightly smaller airframe where it lasted about ten flights. Someone mentioned that it sounded a bit rough on idle. I assume these reliability problems were caused by the then only slightly twisted crankshaft.

I have a GP-123 in my latest build. Four gallons of fuel so far. The engine is still being broken in, but it feels good already. Very similar power curve compared to the DA. I have never own of flown a plane powered with a DLE-120. The ones I have seen seem to lack a bit of power in the low and middle range. The high end is good, but it comes with higher rpm compared to the GP and DA. I have had a DLE-55 and a DA-50. They had the same difference in behavior.

Because of this behavior, the DLE was not on my short list when I was choosing the engine for this project. The DA was not on it because of my earlier experience. I am not saying that the DAs are no good. The DAs of the other guys seem to be eternal tickers. Perhaps mine was just built a bit too early on a Monday morning.

In EU the DA costs 1428, GP 900 and the DLE 739 euros. In other words, you can buy two DLEs with the price of one DA and three GPs with the price of two DAs. You can convert these costs into flying costs. If the DA lasts 1000 flights, the GP needs to last 630 and the DLE only 517 flights to meet the same cost. Service procedure for the DA and GP is quite simple. The DAs are sent to Germany and the GPs to Taiwan. The round-trip time to Germany is slightly shorter. I have no experience on the DLE’s service.

Finally, back to answering the question. At this point with all my knowledge and experience of these engines my choice would be the GP-123.

--kaboomski;
kaboomski is offline Find More Posts by kaboomski
Old 06-28-2019, 04:44 PM
Find More Posts by The Beast
United States, OH, Hudson
Joined Jan 2017
61 Posts
I have a hoobyking rcgf copy and its got more power than any of them yes sir they made a fine copy of the rcgf120 long stroke its an rcg120 hoobyking also has fine customer service only problem is warranty engs as soon as gas hits the carb but other than that it will spin the prop off of itself if your not carefull
The Beast is offline Find More Posts by The Beast
Old 06-29-2019, 07:37 PM
Find More Posts by closetguy
United States, OH, Berlin Heights
Joined Jul 2006
5,961 Posts
I can't even find a rcgf 120 on RCGF USA website.Wonder if they still making them.
closetguy is offline Find More Posts by closetguy
Old 06-29-2019, 08:20 PM
Find More Posts by FGNewbie
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Mar 2010
6,421 Posts
beast just like to revive old threads.
FGNewbie is offline Find More Posts by FGNewbie

Quick Reply