logo
Old 01-29-2016, 06:07 PM
Find More Posts by ghoffman
United States, FL, Jupiter
Joined Nov 2009
11,564 Posts
I saw that, I was thinking some side views and basic dimensions.
ghoffman is offline Find More Posts by ghoffman
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 01-29-2016, 06:19 PM
Find More Posts by loopandroll - Ozzy
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2016
60 Posts
I asked Uncle Mike and he said a manometer measures pressure.
loopandroll - Ozzy is offline Find More Posts by loopandroll - Ozzy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled) Quick reply to this message (Disabled)
Old 01-29-2016, 07:45 PM
Find More Posts by FX777
Having fun!!
United States, FL, Fort Lauderdale
Joined Jan 2009
1,506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theKM View Post
the X24 has 100amps per power circuit, two per input... so it's rated to 200amps continuous. Compare to other popular products for giant scale that max out at 30amps or whatever. You can have all your servos at their stall current and the X24 wont care.

The voltage is set by whatever you feed it (for HV, wire in some 2S lipos, for regular servos connect up LiFE, etc). X24 is not regulating the servo output; less things to go wrong, but also so people can go with direct-to-battery setups that can handle larger spikes and power demands.

I'll have to let Jim comment on handling voltage feedback from newer servos...

Thanks for the explanation. I am very impressed and look forward to obtaining the X24. Also very much interested in the voltage feed back isue and look forward to Jim's input. Thnaks again.
FX777 is offline Find More Posts by FX777
Old 01-30-2016, 10:28 PM
Find More Posts by dbishw92
United States, IL, Donovan
Joined Dec 2014
295 Posts
thanks for the teaser Jim cant waite
dbishw92 is offline Find More Posts by dbishw92
Old 01-31-2016, 02:31 PM
XPS
Find More Posts by XPS
XPS
CEO/Mad Scientist
United States, AZ, Lake Havasu City
Joined Mar 2015
379 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyo69cowboy View Post
On the ignition BEC, do you just assign it to a channel like gear or similar, and will it be a kill switch? Isolated so no ignition interference? Sorry if I'm not understanding correctly, but sounds as if we can eliminate using something like a TechAero BEC, right?
Yes, yes, and yes.
XPS is offline Find More Posts by XPS
Old 01-31-2016, 02:32 PM
XPS
Find More Posts by XPS
XPS
CEO/Mad Scientist
Joined Mar 2015
379 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghoffman View Post
The more I read about this , the more interested I am in getting one. How much is the Pro going to go for? What are the approximate dimensions of the box?
There is no firm price on the Pro yet, but I think it will be a $50 upgrade - but this will come MUCH later after the release. There has to be a lot of testing done before releasing the flight stabilization option. The X24 coding and features were basically borrowed from the X10+ which has several years of proven operation in thousands of models. As a modeler myself, I don't like the idea of being someone's guinea pig - so I test until I can stand testing anymore and then continue testing.

The size of the X24 is 3.1" x 3.6" x .6". Weight is exactly 3oz.
Last edited by XPS; 01-31-2016 at 02:40 PM.
Old 02-04-2016, 09:52 AM
Find More Posts by hutchinstuff
Big sky country...
United States, NH, Hollis
Joined Jan 2014
77 Posts
This looks great. Don't tell my wife I'll need to buy an airplane to try it on!
hutchinstuff is offline Find More Posts by hutchinstuff
Old 02-04-2016, 10:16 AM
Joined Nov 2009
11,564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by XPS View Post
There is no firm price on the Pro yet, but I think it will be a $50 upgrade - but this will come MUCH later after the release. There has to be a lot of testing done before releasing the flight stabilization option. The X24 coding and features were basically borrowed from the X10+ which has several years of proven operation in thousands of models. As a modeler myself, I don't like the idea of being someone's guinea pig - so I test until I can stand testing anymore and then continue testing.

The size of the X24 is 3.1" x 3.6" x .6". Weight is exactly 3oz.
Thanks! For the power inputs, does it "ping-pong" between the (higher voltage) inputs? like a "Powersafe" rx to draw down the batteries semi-equally?
Old 02-04-2016, 11:32 AM
Find More Posts by FGNewbie
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Mar 2010
6,421 Posts
Ps safes do not ping pong. They simply draw from the battery with the highest voltage.
FGNewbie is online now Find More Posts by FGNewbie
Old 02-04-2016, 11:48 AM
Joined Nov 2009
11,564 Posts
Will this do the same?
Old 02-04-2016, 12:18 PM
Find More Posts by theKM
needs more yaw authority
Central PA
Joined Oct 2008
1,748 Posts
battery sharers are usually using diodes (high voltage drop) or FETs that default as on, but switching based on the high voltage. to my knowledge, the FETs in the X24 are on, and use the switch to close their gates (standby). So when you first connect the power to the system, it will be on, and you need to turn it off. This is so that anything strange happens with your power source and the connection hiccups, the default is to be on... other systems with a total loss of power may have their soft switch logic reset and be off when power reconnects. Everything is made with a high level of paranoia,

...so I don't think it "battery shares" like other products, and should treat the packs as being in parallel, Will let Jim spiel on how it treats packs of different voltage
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old 02-04-2016, 01:28 PM
Joined Nov 2009
11,564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theKM View Post

...so I don't think it "battery shares" like other products, and should treat the packs as being in parallel, Will let Jim spiel on how it treats packs of different voltage
Then it would not be possible to run twin 3S packs regulated to 8.5V because the BEC's would be in parallel. With the PS receivers, you can, because it draws from one at a time.
Old 02-04-2016, 08:16 PM
XPS
Find More Posts by XPS
XPS
CEO/Mad Scientist
Joined Mar 2015
379 Posts
The packs are isolated, but drained equally with the X24. This is the ONLY way possible to have constant current from the power source that is not affected by changing pack voltages. Trying to juggle different type/capacity battery packs is an electronics nightmare, requiring huge components and a huge amount of circuit board space... 100A diodes are huge! The method used by the X24 is the most reliable way to go because it involves the fewest amount of components, and allows for dual sets of redundancy.

You should NEVER be using a regulator to control the voltage of a 3S pack. Either use the 3S pack (and servos that can handle it - the X24 can), or use a 2S Lipo/Life instead. Using ANY type of regulator for the servo voltage is asking for trouble! The last thing you want is another piece of electronics trying to throttle the voltage (which throttles current as well). The X24 was built so that it can pass as much current (at whatever voltage you want to use) as the servos will draw. When using dual inputs, both are used to provide voltage/current. If one pack fails you still have one that works. Regulators can't supply enough current for giant scale planes. My Hangar 9 Extra 260 (35%) has 7 JR8711 servos, perfectly matched, and pulls a little over 60A of current on a snap-to-snap maneuver. It's not long - about 25ms for the peak, but it certainly happens. Servos do NOT draw their peak current during a stalled condition - they draw 2-5 times the stall current during a direction change.

As a radio system manufacturer we have seen every type of "bad" setup you can imagine, and the one that are always the biggest problem are the ones using some type of regulator, followed by switches, followed by Nimh batteries. Power was the biggest issue we faced when we introduced the first full range 2.4GHz modular system to the R/C world. This is why our receivers operate down to 1.8 volts, and the X24 itself operates down to 2.1 volts. Servos stop working long before the X24 does, and since servo load is the only cause for a brownout, the X24 would be working non-stop while the servos are struggling to come back on line.
Last edited by XPS; 02-04-2016 at 08:37 PM.
Old 02-04-2016, 09:17 PM
Find More Posts by theKM
needs more yaw authority
Central PA
Joined Oct 2008
1,748 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by XPS View Post
The packs are isolated...
would this isolation allow two regulators to between packs and the expander?...
(not that I would set up this way myself, but people will ask, as above) am just curious if i should say "that isn't ideal" or if I get to upgrade it to "you'll blow something up"
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old 02-05-2016, 07:58 AM
Joined Nov 2009
11,564 Posts
Will the Pro unit have to be mounted in a specific orientation?

Quick Reply