logo
Old 04-19-2020, 09:40 PM
Find More Posts by Knifedive
Joined Mar 2011
139 Posts
Help!
Futaba 18 SZ Ail flaps speed prog

Hi,

Okie. I have been programming my Bushmaster, and I have programmed the Ail - cramb. So when I move the ailerons, the flaps is moving as well, that is fine.

On the flaps, I have set the servo speed - slow deflection/ retraction. It’s cool. The only problem is that when I Move the Ailerons, the flaps is moving with the slow speed and not the speed of Ailerons...

I’m sure it has to be a way to program the ail flaps to move same speed, and the flaps it’s own slow speed. Some tips on the settings ? - Kind regards
Knifedive is offline Find More Posts by Knifedive
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 04-20-2020, 03:19 AM
Find More Posts by RobFB
United Kingdom, England, Gloucestershire
Joined Jun 2015
53 Posts
If you have used the servo slow for your flaps in the Linkage menu return this to the default fastest setting 0, to slow the flaps go to AFR in the system menu go to screen 2 change the function to Flap then alter the speed in the bottom box. I have just set up an Ultra Stick with flaps and have set flap speed in and out to 16.
I have set the Stick up so that I can switch the flaps working with the ailerons on and off using conditions. Just need to wait for this Covid shut down to ease so I can maiden it .
RobFB is offline Find More Posts by RobFB
Old 04-20-2020, 09:55 AM
Find More Posts by Knifedive
Joined Mar 2011
139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobFB View Post
If you have used the servo slow for your flaps in the Linkage menu return this to the default fastest setting 0, to slow the flaps go to AFR in the system menu go to screen 2 change the function to Flap then alter the speed in the bottom box. I have just set up an Ultra Stick with flaps and have set flap speed in and out to 16.
I have set the Stick up so that I can switch the flaps working with the ailerons on and off using conditions. Just need to wait for this Covid shut down to ease so I can maiden it .
Thank you! Yes, now it works - Yes I had maiden today, with the Bushmaster and it was great. No work, but lots of time to fly :-)
Knifedive is offline Find More Posts by Knifedive
Old 04-21-2020, 02:33 AM
Find More Posts by RobFB
United Kingdom, England, Gloucestershire
Joined Jun 2015
53 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifedive View Post
Thank you! Yes, now it works - Yes I had maiden today, with the Bushmaster and it was great. No work, but lots of time to fly :-)
👍
RobFB is offline Find More Posts by RobFB
Old 04-26-2020, 06:09 PM
Find More Posts by rocket_33
Joined Jan 2012
274 Posts
I have a similar problem but different :-)

First, I have two flap channels. With my current configuration when trying to use full span ailerons, I too have the same issue with the flap moving at the slow speed. One exception though is only FLP channel responds, not FLP2.

Second, I did not adjust the speed using the speed in Linkage menu, nor did I do it under AFR. Believe it or not I have to try and find where I did it.

Let me explain. When I first set the Flap/Elevator mixing for my X-Cub, it took a long time because the problem I had was the ability to slow the Flaps down BUT the elevator would immediately snap to the next position. Meaning it would not follow the smoothness of the flap deployment.

It took some time but I was finally able to get the flaps to move slowly and the elevator follow the flap deployment smoothly. So since I had done the work to get this to work smoothly I just copied this setup and thought it would be easier to modify it (which I am finding it is not).

I have played with it for a while so when I saw this post I was excited but still stumbling to find the correct configuration. Besides the slow deploy of Flap/Elevator and ability to use full span ailerons (as OP pointed out), I also want to employ CROW and Flap to Elevator mix so any help would be much appreciated.

I will dig more into my config and see where I slowed the speed down and update this later
rocket_33 is offline Find More Posts by rocket_33
Old 04-26-2020, 06:13 PM
Joined Jan 2012
274 Posts
Found it. I adjusted the speed under the AFR Cambe Function and is set to 20 in and 20 08t
Old 04-29-2020, 06:43 AM
Joined Jan 2012
274 Posts
Wow, perhaps I stumped the audience??
Old 04-29-2020, 10:24 AM
Find More Posts by Judge
Team Futaba
United States, CA, Ladera Ranch
Joined Jan 2006
12,936 Posts
Well you found it! Never use the servo speed adjustment since that is active all the time.
Judge is offline Find More Posts by Judge
Old 04-29-2020, 12:42 PM
Joined Jan 2012
274 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
Well you found it! Never use the servo speed adjustment since that is active all the time.
Well not really as I didn't find any other option that worked. So while I have painted myself in a corner with the solution I was able to get to work perhaps, I don't have an optional path to follow
Old 04-29-2020, 12:48 PM
Find More Posts by Judge
Team Futaba
Joined Jan 2006
12,936 Posts
The solution you found is the way I do it and what I would have suggested if I had seen your post earlier. You are not painted into a corner as far as I can see.

Using the servo speed menu can lead to all kinds of issues and I always suggest avoiding it whenever possible.
Old 04-29-2020, 01:09 PM
Joined Jan 2012
274 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
The solution you found is the way I do it and what I would have suggested if I had seen your post earlier. You are not painted into a corner as far as I can see.

Using the servo speed menu can lead to all kinds of issues and I always suggest avoiding it whenever possible.
Ok. Unfortunately I still have all of the problems I wrote about in my original posting even using the AFR as that is what I am using.

I had a suggestion on another forum to set up as a Motor Glider and I am trying to read up on that at the moment.
Old 04-29-2020, 03:13 PM
Find More Posts by Judge
Team Futaba
Joined Jan 2006
12,936 Posts
OK, I just did a quick test model. 2-Ail/2-Flap airplane

Went to AFR for flaps set 20 in/20 out in Speed menus (lower left on 2/2)
Flaps move slowly when I move the switch I set them on.

Went to AIL-> Camber Flap
Set travel for both left and right/Flp& Flp2 to 100 in all directions

When I move the ailerons the flaps move at the same speed as the ailerons
When I move the flap switch they move slowly

I prefer to use the P.Mix for elevator compensation, but be careful not to have elev. comp on while flaperons are active. You'll get some weird interactions.

What type of aircraft is this??
Old 04-29-2020, 08:24 PM
Joined Jan 2012
274 Posts
Interesting. It gives me something to start with on the bench. I will have to play with settings to make sure I have throws needed.

Funny thing is when I had the flaps on and the full span on (which would not be a normal flying condition, the flaps did not seem to move slowly.

Will give this a play tonight and in the morning.

The plane I am putting together is a Timber 110
Old 05-03-2020, 03:45 PM
Joined Jan 2012
274 Posts
Hey Judge. Wanted to say thank you for that tip. I am able to get the full span going. and still maintain my slow flap deployment with matching elevator mix. Thank you.

Next I am working on implement CROW where I turn it on and off via a switch and adjust the amount of CROW via the slider on the back of the transmitter (left or right, I haven't decided yet)

This is the next "programming" feat I am working on and I am sure I will be picking your brain on this.

Thanks for the help (now and I am sure in the future)
Old 05-03-2020, 04:40 PM
Find More Posts by Judge
Team Futaba
Joined Jan 2006
12,936 Posts
Glad it worked out. Always happy to help.

Quick Reply