logo
Old 05-22-2020, 08:37 AM
Find More Posts by Motomazzo
United States, TX
Joined Nov 2019
2,354 Posts
Discussion
Voltage Question

So, when a receiver says “4.8-6 volts”.....does that imply that the “.6” extra voltage is okay? Said another way, there isn’t a 6-volt pack, so is that a hard number and must be regulated? Or is using one of the common 6-volt battery combinations okay?

Specifically, I’ve got a Futaba R617FS receiver and a 6.6 volt LiFE pack I’d like to use.

Question also applies to servos but I was more concerned about the receiver.

If the answer is regulation, I have to wonder why these manufacturers wouldn’t factor in common battery voltages in their product design.

Thank you.

JAM
Motomazzo is offline Find More Posts by Motomazzo
Last edited by Motomazzo; 05-22-2020 at 11:14 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 05-22-2020, 08:57 AM
Find More Posts by FGNewbie
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Mar 2010
6,421 Posts
For our purposes receivers are not voltage limited...that is you can run straight 2s lipos (8.4v) with no problem. So you’re fine with life packs.
FGNewbie is online now Find More Posts by FGNewbie
Old 05-22-2020, 09:43 AM
Find More Posts by Judge
Team Futaba
United States, CA, Ladera Ranch
Joined Jan 2006
12,936 Posts
^^^^What he said^^^

I can confirm for you that all current Futaba 2.4 receivers will works fine on 2S lipo voltage. It is the servo voltage of the servos you are using that limit system voltage.

FWIW, I tested the R617FS on 3S lipo voltage pulling 10 amps and it worked perfectly.

Servos are another matter. There are some brands that when they say 6.0 volts max, that is an absolute limit. Other brands are more tolerant. I ran several Futaba 3150 servos, rated at 4.8 volts on 2S LiFe (7.2 volts fully charged) for a couple of years with no issues. So it really matters what brand you are using.
Judge is offline Find More Posts by Judge
Last edited by Judge; 05-22-2020 at 10:28 AM. Reason: Thai-Poh
Old 05-22-2020, 11:18 AM
United States, TX
Joined Nov 2019
2,354 Posts
Awesome, guys. Thank you.

Regarding the servos - they’re Futaba 3004 servos. Not a high-end servo by any means. But I ran them a bit with the pack plugged in and it seemed to work okay. I guess the question would be how long they will run that way. I can’t imagine an extra “.6” volts being a deal-killer. Again, why anyone would design a servo to take 6 volts, but not the voltage of the common 6-volt packs is beyond me.

The servos are in a large scale Decathalon so basic sport flying. Nothing extreme. Was just hoping to make good use of the pack I had.
Old 05-22-2020, 02:18 PM
Find More Posts by ml82232
United States, NE, Wahoo
Joined Oct 2013
222 Posts
I'm running R617FS in 7 planes on 6.6V LiFe
With both analog or digital servos
Mixed bag of servos from several manufacturers
None are listed as HV
1 plane has 3004s
started 4 yrs ago
No problems
ml82232 is offline Find More Posts by ml82232
Old 05-22-2020, 03:52 PM
Find More Posts by Judge
Team Futaba
Joined Jan 2006
12,936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomazzo View Post
Awesome, guys. Thank you.

Regarding the servos - they’re Futaba 3004 servos. Not a high-end servo by any means. But I ran them a bit with the pack plugged in and it seemed to work okay. I guess the question would be how long they will run that way. I can’t imagine an extra “.6” volts being a deal-killer. Again, why anyone would design a servo to take 6 volts, but not the voltage of the common 6-volt packs is beyond me.

The servos are in a large scale Decathalon so basic sport flying. Nothing extreme. Was just hoping to make good use of the pack I had.
Those servos will be just fine on a 2S LiFe pack.

As to why some servos are less tolerant, that's an unknown. I can tell you that all the Futaba servos I am aware of do not have that kind of sensitivity. Especially the standard size / larger digital servos.
Old 05-22-2020, 09:51 PM
United States, TX
Joined Nov 2019
2,354 Posts
More great info. Thanks guys.

FWIW - I was just talking to the guy I received the plane from and ironically, he used a 6.6v LiFe on the plane as well. So, I think we’ve put this one to bed. Y’all have a good Memorial Day weekend!

JAM
Old 05-23-2020, 12:07 PM
Find More Posts by Swampflier
Costa Rica, San José Province, San José
Joined Feb 2007
653 Posts
3004 servos date from several years ago... at the time almos all rc'ers used nicd packs a 4 cell nicad is rated 4.8 to 6.0 volts, fully charged gets a bot over 6.0 volts, a 5 cell nicd gets closer to 7 volts fully charged, no problem on said 3004 servos.
Life's work fine
Swampflier is offline Find More Posts by Swampflier
Old 05-23-2020, 03:38 PM
Find More Posts by haribo
Joined Dec 2016
984 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
FWIW, I tested the R617FS on 3S lipo voltage pulling 10 amps and it worked perfectly
I would like to believe you but the manual doesn't recommend it

haribo is offline Find More Posts by haribo
Old 05-23-2020, 04:53 PM
Find More Posts by Judge
Team Futaba
Joined Jan 2006
12,936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by haribo View Post
I would like to believe you but the manual doesn't recommend it

Well, you are certainly free to believe what you wish to. The manual is fairly dated and long experience of myself and countless others have proven that this receiver, and every other current Futaba RX is fully capable of operating on unregulated 2S lipos. It is your servos that limit the battery voltage you choose.
Old 05-23-2020, 11:38 PM
Find More Posts by Truckracer
Des Moines, Iowa USA
Joined Nov 2007
7,492 Posts
All of these receivers have internal voltage regulators that regulate the input voltage to a lower voltage for receiver operation while the bus that provides power to the servos continues to operate at the supply / battery voltage. As others have stated, no issues operating these receivers at higher voltages. I've never heard of a receiver failure due to running at typical HV voltages. Going to the next level of 12V plus may exceed the input voltage limits of some of these receivers but we're not discussing that here.
Truckracer is online now Find More Posts by Truckracer

Quick Reply