logo
Old 08-04-2007, 10:30 AM
Find More Posts by Toucan
San Francisco CA
Joined Jul 2007
17 Posts
Re: Full scale 3-D, Toucan turboprop

Madmax,
Thanks for having me here, glad to share. Ken Erickson, our chief pilot and Dave Morss are both bigtime RC fans, and I think I'll take a crack at it again when the TT electrics come out!
Toucan is offline Find More Posts by Toucan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 08-04-2007, 05:25 PM
Find More Posts by p-80
palm city florida
Joined Jun 2006
45 Posts

hey david that is an awsome plane realy you guys are making probly the coolest planei have seen yet for the aerobatics and at least now i have somthing good to look foward to in respect to air shows because ive been devistated since the crash of jim leroy rip sorry i brought this up though cuzz this is of course the toucan thred and im pacianly awating the news ans vids please good luck with the program and please come to south florida some time next year
p-80 is offline Find More Posts by p-80
Old 08-04-2007, 10:54 PM
Find More Posts by pitviper51
Burn Gas.. Bend wings.
Kentucky
Joined Apr 2006
9,354 Posts

an electirc TT SWEEEET!!! put me on the list!
mike
pitviper51 is offline Find More Posts by pitviper51
Old 08-04-2007, 10:58 PM
Find More Posts by F3AFlyer7
L'ectrics r COOOOOL!!!
New Baltimore, Michigan
Joined Jan 2006
281 Posts

Dave,

You wouldn't happen to have a simple 3 view drawing of this plane would you? I think it would make a great foamy!!
F3AFlyer7 is offline Find More Posts by F3AFlyer7
Old 08-05-2007, 12:04 AM
San Francisco CA
Joined Jul 2007
17 Posts

Hi p-80, F3AFlyer7 and all.
The news about Jim was just horrible. Looked at the video over and over again. There is a lot going on with the masters of disaster/Mary’s lamb thing. One thing Jim just can’t practice is for all the smoke on the ground, and there was a lot. My wife and I spent time with Jim on several occations, a great guy.

I am flattered you’d put us in the same category as a Jim LeRoy. Truthfully, we haven’t earned it yet. We will not be doing high energy gyroscopics and snaps like Jim did or Sean. We are all about vertical performance and graceful maneuvering, like the good old days with Bob Hoover. We’ll have plenty of magic though! Anyway, we are about what you haven’t seen before and complementary to what Sean, Patty and the gang are doing.

We just hope we create something that is memorable.

As for 3-view drawing for foamies, under our deal with Quique, I am obligated not to distribute 3 view drawings for the purpose of building scale models. So, you can always ask Quique, he’d be your man!

-Cheers, David
Old 08-05-2007, 12:17 AM
Find More Posts by F3AFlyer7
L'ectrics r COOOOOL!!!
New Baltimore, Michigan
Joined Jan 2006
281 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toucan View Post

As for 3-view drawing for foamies, under our deal with Quique, I am obligated not to distribute 3 view drawings for the purpose of building scale models. So, you can always ask Quique, he’d be your man!

-Cheers, David
Definitely understandable! I am SOOOO excited to see this thing fly. The first time I saw a picture of it I think I stared at it for a good 5 minutes. Truly beautiful airplane!
F3AFlyer7 is offline Find More Posts by F3AFlyer7
Old 08-05-2007, 09:04 AM
Find More Posts by p-80
palm city florida
Joined Jun 2006
45 Posts

your right but i hope you can acheive something as memorable as jims act one day anyway if there are any pictures of the moddels to please post the other thin was and this is for you david what type things will quequi be doing if he performs at "some" of the airshows thanks

travis
Old 08-05-2007, 09:54 AM
Find More Posts by pitviper51
Burn Gas.. Bend wings.
Kentucky
Joined Apr 2006
9,354 Posts

nice vertical lines are great then stop and hover haha, im sure some one will just use the pics you have out of theTT to make a foamy.. TT profile MAN that would be fun! cant wait to see the show!
mike
pitviper51 is offline Find More Posts by pitviper51
Old 08-12-2007, 01:15 AM
Find More Posts by sprice50
Shaun Price
Victoria, BC, Canada
Joined Jan 2006
1,795 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toucan View Post

-Cheers, David
Hello,

How would someone else obtain dimensions to build their own scale version for a scale contest then for example as I am assuming Quiques will be optimized a little for IMAC/3d and will not have true scale lines?
sprice50 is offline Find More Posts by sprice50
Old 08-12-2007, 08:58 AM
Find More Posts by BoneDoc
Closet Jesus Freak
San Antonio, TX
Joined Jan 2006
3,557 Posts

Just eyeball it yourself my friend . After all, it's based on the Pitts M12 anyway right?
BoneDoc is offline Find More Posts by BoneDoc
Old 08-13-2007, 12:09 AM
San Francisco CA
Joined Jul 2007
17 Posts

It's not really modelled after a model 12. The fuselage was built in the same jig, but not without major mods. Firewall forward is entirely different. Wings are different. Tail feathers are different and canopy and cockpit is entirely different. CG and all is WAY different. All the systems are a major departure from any M14 powered model 12.

It is kind of like saying the 757 is just like a 737 only bigger.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:49 PM
Find More Posts by p-80
palm city florida
Joined Jun 2006
45 Posts

its a realy realy cool "kinda m12" on super steroids lol
Old 08-14-2007, 02:59 PM
Find More Posts by vupilot
Flyin' Around
Avon, IN
Joined Jul 2007
8 Posts

Who came up with the Toucan name? Thats pure genius. It would look really funny with that long nose without painting a big--- beak on the front of it. Whoever came up with that needs a raise. Love it, I really admire people like you guys that get in there and DO IT and not just talk about how cool it would be to have a little lightweight biplane with a big PT-6 on it. Talk is cheap, you guys are an inspiration.
vupilot is offline Find More Posts by vupilot
Old 08-14-2007, 06:06 PM
Find More Posts by Widow-2-DDD
Joined Jul 2007
21 Posts

The TT should be able to do graceful stuff like this though right?

http://media.putfile.com/FUTABA-and-Super-Extra-002

http://media.putfile.com/Comp-Arf-Su...ABA-DigiServos

Seeing a full size 100% scale plane do this with smoke would be awesome!
Widow-2-DDD is offline Find More Posts by Widow-2-DDD
Last edited by Widow-2-DDD; 08-15-2007 at 12:37 AM.
Old 08-14-2007, 07:15 PM
San Francisco CA
Joined Jul 2007
17 Posts

You guys are too much, thanks for the kind words. I guess I'll have to give myself a raise (the net income would be the same if that is any hint)! Actually, there is a long story behind the paint scheme. On the surface, you are correct; it really is designed to balance out the overall length of the cowl/fuselage. It aesthetically helps balance things out, without the design, it really stood out, which we really didn't want.

As for the longer version, I have always been a big fan of Parrots and exotic birds. I was a professional animal trainer while going to college, and in fact, it help pay for part of my education. I was primarily a bird trainer, and way back in the early 80’s; under contract I did the bird show for Busch Gardens. Seven shows a day, seven days a week during the summer.

I made appearances on Late Night with David Letterman and a few other shows before I continued on with my career. One of my favorite pets was a Toco Toucan, they are actually very fun birds to have. So, it was only natural that I draw from my past when taking on this new endeavor. I’d tell you more but I’d bore the hell out of yah.

As for the video links, great stuff! I wish we could do that kind of stuff. I’d be happy to just hover, accelerate out and do a few other maneuvers you’ve never seen out of a full scale plane. You guys are light years ahead of full scale.

Quick Reply