Old 08-31-2019, 09:27 PM
Find More Posts by atchfoot
United States, KS, Atchison
Joined Feb 2008
289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airboss/oc View Post
send it to DA
Why would I do that? I believe that Desert Aircraft only does service on their own branded engines.
atchfoot is offline Find More Posts by atchfoot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2019, 10:55 PM
Find More Posts by airboss/oc
desert racer
United States, CA, Orange County
Joined Aug 2007
6,772 Posts
that's why we buy them . what does the engine rep do ? can you send it in ?
airboss/oc is offline Find More Posts by airboss/oc
Old 08-31-2019, 11:05 PM
Joined Feb 2008
289 Posts
Engine rep? I give up. What does an engine rep do?
Old 09-01-2019, 12:41 AM
Find More Posts by KMatch
United States, TX, Bay City
Joined Nov 2016
690 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atchfoot View Post
Engine rep? I give up. What does an engine rep do?
Dude... certain folks might feel like they're being helpful but learn to look the other way. DA won't help you - as you already know.
KMatch is offline Find More Posts by KMatch
Old 09-01-2019, 12:50 AM
Joined Feb 2008
289 Posts
Telling me to send it to DA is not really in the spirit of helping me solve an ignition problem on a DLE
Old 09-01-2019, 06:18 AM
Find More Posts by closetguy
United States, OH, Berlin Heights
Joined Jul 2006
5,961 Posts
With it back firing with old and new ignition and sensor.The prop hub key may have sheared or the crank may have slip if it has a two piece crank? Check if the pistons are at the same height.
closetguy is offline Find More Posts by closetguy
Old 09-01-2019, 10:13 AM
Joined Feb 2008
289 Posts
The pistons are in sync. I pulled the prop hub and I can visualize the key and it appears to be intact. All of the backfires have occurred when trying to start the engine, but it doesn't backfire once it's running.

I pulled the plugs and using a piston stop, retimed the engine using an old ignition unit and a spare plug and timed according to the spark. This resulted in a sensor position that was completely different from the timing position I got when I used the CH timing kit buzzing indicator. Now its at a position thats much closer to the original setting.

The combination I haven't tried yet is using a new Hall Sensor with the original timing position. When I switched out the Hall Sensor bracket, I retimed it using the CH timing kit buzzer to determine when the spark occurred.
Old 09-01-2019, 10:47 AM
Find More Posts by closetguy
United States, OH, Berlin Heights
Joined Jul 2006
5,961 Posts
I never did like using a buzzer,your putting all your money on it working rite just like any other electronic gizmo.I use a older rcexl ignition to time as well,you know if that's working.
Now your getting on track,Good Luck.
closetguy is offline Find More Posts by closetguy
Old 09-01-2019, 11:58 AM
Joined Feb 2008
289 Posts
I took it out in the backyard after resetting the timing and now it starts and runs like a dream with no pops, kickbacks or backfiring. It was a defective Hall Effects sensor after all of this.

When I had replaced the original DLE sensor with the aftermarket sensor and bracket, I had also changed the timing at the same time, using the CH timing kit buzzing inicator to determine spark position. I later reset the timing using and old plug and an old ignition unit and it works like a dream.

Lessons learned are to change only one thing at a time, and to use an actual observed spark to set my timing. My buzzy electronic indicator must be faulty, or else I'm not using it correctly.

Many thanks to all who made suggestions in troubleshooting and shared their own experience.
Old 09-01-2019, 06:10 PM
Find More Posts by Truckracer
Des Moines, Iowa USA
Joined Nov 2007
7,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atchfoot View Post
I took it out in the backyard after resetting the timing and now it starts and runs like a dream with no pops, kickbacks or backfiring. It was a defective Hall Effects sensor after all of this.

When I had replaced the original DLE sensor with the aftermarket sensor and bracket, I had also changed the timing at the same time, using the CH timing kit buzzing inicator to determine spark position. I later reset the timing using and old plug and an old ignition unit and it works like a dream.

Lessons learned are to change only one thing at a time, and to use an actual observed spark to set my timing. My buzzy electronic indicator must be faulty, or else I'm not using it correctly.

Many thanks to all who made suggestions in troubleshooting and shared their own experience.
You were probably setting the timing when the buzzer turned on rather than when it turned off. When the engine is turned in the normal direction, using a buzzer or old ignition as closetguy suggested, the timing is set either when the spark occurs as the magnet has passed under the sensor and is starting to go away from the sensor (or) the timing is set when the buzzer turns off after the magnet has passed under the sensor and is going away from the sensor. I feel the buzzer is a reliable way to set timing with a good sensor but one of the defective sensors may trigger a spark both as the magnet just starts to pass under the sensor and again when it passes away from the sensor. Many people get confused by this and set the timing to early when the buzzer turns on. I've got to the point that any engine that shows any signs of kickback or rough running automatically get a new sensor and I still much prefer the RCXP ones from RC Extreme Power.
Truckracer is offline Find More Posts by Truckracer
Old 09-04-2019, 03:20 AM
Find More Posts by Alexzzz
Flying: Giant Scale 3D
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2006
22,663 Posts
Update! The DA carb solved all engine issues. It runs great now! I'm happy
Alexzzz is offline Find More Posts by Alexzzz
Old 09-04-2019, 11:32 AM
Find More Posts by papy69
France, Auvergne Rhône-Alpes, Lyon
Joined Dec 2010
21 Posts
Thank you for feedback, It will be usefull for others.
Yves
papy69 is offline Find More Posts by papy69

Quick Reply