Old 02-14-2020, 09:42 PM
Find More Posts by Henry Piorun
Old time pattern dude
Mission B.C. Canada
Joined Feb 2009
1,357 Posts
Discussion
Free wing Avanti retracts...

I just got my Free wing Avanti jet and I'm in the process of setting up the radio, motor, control throws, etc. I have everything working great except for the retracts, nothing happens. If I plug a servo into the retract channel, servo works no problem, so it's not the radio. It's a Jeti DC24 btw. Anyone else have this issue or am I missing something?
Henry Piorun is offline Find More Posts by Henry Piorun
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 02-14-2020, 10:23 PM
Find More Posts by Dan767
That's at least a 9
United States, WA, Federal Way
Joined Jan 2006
2,854 Posts
Henry,

Mine is still in the box, so I haven’t tried it yet. If you bypass the board, do they work? Is the wire from the board connected?

Dan
Dan767 is offline Find More Posts by Dan767
Old 02-14-2020, 10:55 PM
Old time pattern dude
Mission B.C. Canada
Joined Feb 2009
1,357 Posts
Yes everything looks connected, maybe I'll try a different extension and bypass the board.
Old 02-15-2020, 09:40 AM
Find More Posts by wfield0455
United States, MA, Holliston
Joined Oct 2007
3,013 Posts
I have a Freewing Avanti I'm flying on Jeti with an Assist receiver installed and it's a really nice flying airplane.

If one of the retract units wasn't working I'd suspect the unit or the board but if none of them are working I suspect you have something connected wrong or the retract switch configured wrong. I know you plugged a servo into the gear channel and it worked but did it move from full travel both directions or from center to full travel in one direction? If it wasn't full travel in both directions then your retract switch assignment is wrong and is configured for 0/100 instead of -100/+100. which certainly could cause this problem.

If your switch assignment is correct and the servo monitor shows travel of +100/-100 then replacing the extension between the retract connector on the board and the receiver is worth trying.

Since there is no frame around the connector pins on the board it's really easy to plug in the connector so it's off by 1 pin or plugged in to the adjacent pin set. Also make sure you haven't reversed the connector.

If none of the above help, I'd remove the board and take a close look at the soldering to the pins for the retract input connector. I've heard some of the boards have somewhat iffy solder work so I removed mine to check as the first step of assembling my Avanti but the soldering on mine was fine.

The nose gear appears to have 2 regular servo wires going to it for retract and steering coming from the back set of pins on the board marked gear and rudder. You can try connecting the nose gear retract cable directly to the receiver to see if that works.

If the nose gear works when plugged directly to the receiver retract channel then it's most likely a problem with the board.
wfield0455 is offline Find More Posts by wfield0455
Old 02-15-2020, 12:36 PM
Old time pattern dude
Mission B.C. Canada
Joined Feb 2009
1,357 Posts
I did unplug the nose gear retract and plugged it directly into the receiver and it worked fine. So now just have to figure out what's going on with the mains...I'll post my findings.
Old 02-15-2020, 01:40 PM
Old time pattern dude
Mission B.C. Canada
Joined Feb 2009
1,357 Posts
So I finally got it working, although I have no idea what the problem was. The nose gear worked when I bypassed the board and plugged directly into the receiver. So I took off the wing and unscrewed the little circuit board on the wing root, unplugged the gear and plugged straight into the receiver, still nothing. So removed the gear from the wing and took it apart, had a look inside, everything looked ok? Screwed it back together and it worked!! So hopefully when I put everything back together it will all work. Doesn't instil a whole lot of confidence in this gear though, lol.
Old 02-15-2020, 02:23 PM
Old time pattern dude
Mission B.C. Canada
Joined Feb 2009
1,357 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys. Anyway, got everything put back together and it all works! I'm thinking maybe the one gear was jammed up and keeping all the others from working? I don't know...as long as it works I don't care.😎

Quick Reply