logo
Old 01-30-2014, 02:34 PM
Find More Posts by RetroAcro
Doo It! Doo It!
Joined Feb 2010
190 Posts
Discussion
"What I See" ...from the Pitts

Not exactly Rob Holland-like, but at least it's a biplane. My first run through a new Advanced Free for this year. Flown in a waivered box at LKR. Overall I think it was an OK flight, but lots of little things to clean up. This is why we keep flying. My notes -

'14 Advanced Free (4 min 31 sec)

Fig. 1 - Could have drawn slightly longer lines before and after the 2x4 up. Over the top and the 2x4 down looked OK.

Fig. 2 - Needed slightly longer level line after Fig. 1 (gives the judges more time to score the previous figure). Same thing as above on the vertical roll. Could have exited inverted a little slower.

Fig. 3 - Pulled to the buffet trying to quickly pull vertical down after the spin...a little rocking around there - but unlikely to be seen from the ground. Slight undersnap. Fixed it on the vertical line like a dummy rather than during the pullout. What I mean here is that if you are slightly off on a roll heading on a downline, don't fix it. Correct your heading on the pullout. If you fix it, the judges will see your error and downgrade. If you don't fix it, there's a chance it will go unnoticed. This applies to any roll, really - spins, snaps, level rolls, vertical rolls.

Fig. 4 - Long after the 1/4 roll up. Bare amount of hammer torque. Negative snap was OK.

Fig. 5 - Under on the first 2x8 point. Points rushed.

Fig. 6 - Should have started the Immelmann roll a fraction of second sooner. Snap stop a little soft.

Fig. 7 - Roller had slight roll rate deviation. Not too bad though.

Fig. 8 - Crappy slow negative snap. A little oversnap. Too late on the rudder starting the snap.

Fig. 9 - Rushed 2x8 points down. Need to pull some power and slow the points down with little longer lines before and after.

Fig. 10 - Positive up, some hammer torque...and fixed it like a dummy (see above). Short after the 3x4.

Fig. 11 - Pretty much OK.

Fig. 12 - OK, but didn't check attitude after snap.

Box position. Not sure I like that wedge w/ snap and 1/2 roll on 45 down. Downwind 45 makes it hard to stay in the box afterwards when there's significant wind down the X. I think I'll replace that figure.
RetroAcro is offline Find More Posts by RetroAcro
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 01-30-2014, 03:14 PM
Find More Posts by Pistolera
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2006
4,242 Posts
Can you post a shot of the sequence? Would help in following along
Pistolera is offline Find More Posts by Pistolera
Reply With Quote  (Disabled) Quick reply to this message (Disabled)
Old 01-30-2014, 03:21 PM
Doo It! Doo It!
Joined Feb 2010
190 Posts
Sure, let me know what else you see!

Old 01-30-2014, 03:50 PM
Find More Posts by sweetpea
If you can't HUCK it BLING IT!
United States, OH, Lebanon
Joined Jan 2006
11,141 Posts
More importantly....get a 2 seater and take me up!
sweetpea is offline Find More Posts by sweetpea
Old 01-30-2014, 03:58 PM
Find More Posts by Fat Albert
Wishing I was flying
New Bern, NC
Joined Jan 2006
226 Posts
Really cool. Thanks for sharing
Fat Albert is offline Find More Posts by Fat Albert
Old 01-30-2014, 04:03 PM
Find More Posts by Pistolera
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2006
4,242 Posts
You probably picked up way more than I can see. The wide-angle distortion of the camera lense makes things hard to see.

If you wish to make the down 45 line on #8 (shark tooth) into the wind, you could exit #5 downwind. Your next crossbox would be on the upwind end of the box, but it looks like everything would still work out OK.

On that pull down after the spin, are you on the power during the pull? That would help eliminate the buffet there, then quickly back off for the snap.
Pistolera is offline Find More Posts by Pistolera
Reply With Quote  (Disabled) Quick reply to this message (Disabled)
Old 01-30-2014, 04:27 PM
Doo It! Doo It!
Joined Feb 2010
190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistolera View Post
If you wish to make the down 45 line on #8 (shark tooth) into the wind, you could exit #5 downwind. Your next crossbox would be on the upwind end of the box, but it looks like everything would still work out OK.

On that pull down after the spin, are you on the power during the pull? That would help eliminate the buffet there, then quickly back off for the snap.
Thanks Earle. For a plain spin upright or inverted, I apply full power simultaneously with the opposite rudder for stopping the spin. Here, since there was the snap after the spin, I added a little power during the recovery, but not as much as I normally do. This was in an effort limit speed going into the snap. There's normally no buffet pulling down to vertical when full power is added, but I should do as you suggest and add more power, then pull it off for the snap as soon as the vertical line is set.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:41 PM
Find More Posts by rcakropilot
What... Weather sucks again!!!
Hyannis, Massachusetts
Joined Jan 2007
5,648 Posts
Nice vid. Thanks for sharing. It's been a really long time since I did competition aerobatics (or any aerobatics at all for that matter) but it brings back alot of fond memories. It's truly a great sport. Enjoy.
rcakropilot is offline Find More Posts by rcakropilot
Old 01-30-2014, 07:30 PM
Find More Posts by Pittsflyboy
Arlington, TX USA
Joined Dec 2006
1,592 Posts
Your are making me miss my old S1. Nice vertical line with reference to the sighting device.

Tom
Pittsflyboy is offline Find More Posts by Pittsflyboy
Old 02-02-2014, 12:59 PM
Find More Posts by Shaker
Doug Cronkhite
Joined Jan 2006
2,556 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittsflyboy View Post
Your are making me miss my old S1. Nice vertical line with reference to the sighting device.

Tom
Heh.. I've said that a couple times after watching his vids. Almost makes me want to get one again.
Shaker is offline Find More Posts by Shaker
Old 02-02-2014, 05:01 PM
Find More Posts by CaptRKO
Fly it like you stole it!
United States, TX, Kemah
Joined Dec 2009
445 Posts
I miss my Eagle.....I miss my Pitts.....I miss my Extra 300S........all the good ol' days when furloughs, Bankruptcy, and Mergers were not so common.

At least I am back into models.....nice flying keep at it!
CaptRKO is offline Find More Posts by CaptRKO

Quick Reply