logo
Old 09-08-2016, 09:08 PM
Find More Posts by DR10044
George
United States, KY, Elizabethtown
Joined Mar 2007
841 Posts
Back in the 72mhz days I walked over to the impound area, pulled the 44 pin, picked up my transmitter, went over to start my plane, turned on the transmitter, immediately heard from my buddy "I don't have it" and then a loud crunch!

I looked at my transmitter, I pulled my 43 instead of the 44.

I immediately told him I shot him down, walked to my car and pulled out my checkbook. Asked him what he wanted, he tried not to let me pay him, finally got him to say what he wanted, I wrote the check for $100 over what he asked. Felt like crap for shooting down a plane and very stupid!
DR10044 is offline Find More Posts by DR10044
Last edited by DR10044; 09-08-2016 at 09:14 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 09-08-2016, 09:19 PM
Find More Posts by dhal22
United States, GA, Roswell
Joined Apr 2009
2,019 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by btomlinson View Post
I flew a OLD plane a few years ago that was on 72mhz
Takeoff was fine but when it got about 150' it went nuts and crashed.
I forgot to pull the antenna out 😐
Been there done that.
dhal22 is offline Find More Posts by dhal22
Old 09-08-2016, 09:36 PM
Find More Posts by fixedwingonly
Watch This!
United States, ID, Meridian
Joined Nov 2009
410 Posts
I think they should do away with the on/off switch all together! Pull a pin flag just like on the airplane.
fixedwingonly is offline Find More Posts by fixedwingonly
Old 09-08-2016, 10:15 PM
Find More Posts by outbackdean
Broken Hill NSW Australia
Joined Jan 2006
58 Posts
I have one , when my instructor was teaching me to hand launch a glider , he had a glow motor pod on top of the wing that would run until it ran out of fuel.
He tells me to hold the TX and he started the engine and launches the 3meter glider with a push into the air , walks back to me and takes the TX and states watch how this thing climbs , then his eye went as large as dinner plates as he realised he had forget to turn on the RX , we just stood there watching it climb higher and higher in a perfect slow right hand circle until the engine quit , and then it thermaled for another 50min with us following in his panel van until we lost it.
It took three days in a full size 182 Cessna to finally find it , and yes it did not have a scratch on it.
I will always remember this with fond memory's , RIP Allan Strachan (my instructor)
I owe him a lot for getting me started in this great hobby.
outbackdean is offline Find More Posts by outbackdean
Old 09-08-2016, 10:21 PM
Find More Posts by WangoTango
Conroe, Texas U.S.A.
Joined Feb 2007
4,902 Posts
Huh?

What? Nobody even mentioned the famous " flying someone else's plane while your own plane post holes itself into the ground." Yep..... One of my dumbest moves ever.... Whuddayamean I'm the only one to ever do that!!??
WT
WangoTango is offline Find More Posts by WangoTango
Old 09-08-2016, 10:41 PM
Find More Posts by racefreak2002
Pilot in command
United States, TX, Tyler
Joined Feb 2008
744 Posts
When FG gives an award for the first place winner of the dumbest crashes ever ... I mean EVER!!!!!! I'll spill my story. I'll guarantee you guys one thing for sure.. It'll be the most stupidest thing you guys have ever heard before. And I'll deserve the prize for declaring what ignorant really means..

Btw. It's been 30+ years. So I don't really feel that bad now.....
racefreak2002 is offline Find More Posts by racefreak2002
Old 09-08-2016, 11:02 PM
Find More Posts by 3dfreak
United States, IN, Danville
Joined Nov 2011
618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by racefreak2002 View Post
When FG gives an award for the first place winner of the dumbest crashes ever ... I mean EVER!!!!!! I'll spill my story. I'll guarantee you guys one thing for sure.. It'll be the most stupidest thing you guys have ever heard before. And I'll deserve the prize for declaring what ignorant really means..

Give us a little hint to hold us over for until the award is up for grabs!!
3dfreak is offline Find More Posts by 3dfreak
Old 09-09-2016, 12:12 AM
Find More Posts by Stangflyer
Gimmie the sticks-I'll fly it.
United States, ID, Meridian
Joined Dec 2012
1,037 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by racefreak2002 View Post

Naa...no hints. Just spill the beans. Inquiring minds want to know.
Stangflyer is offline Find More Posts by Stangflyer
Old 09-09-2016, 06:10 AM
Find More Posts by Languid Virago
Chix fly too.
Joined Jul 2011
1,076 Posts
Couple or 3 years ago I was checking out a new flying site to see if they allowed bigger petrol models.

So the president and one newbie were there who liked building but didn't know how to fly well. , so I watched for a bit to get the hang of the types of guys they were.

So the president starts the model engine, no restraints, finds he cannot control the throttle as the RX is off, so he flicks it back and forward a few times to get a better connection. Tries to tune the motor, same thing happens, bad hobby King switch, so he repeats the same process to get it working.

Finally he decides to take off the model, the one a newbie had literally just finished and this is its test flight.

10 seconds later the switch fails again and he crashes it into the trees.

No apology to the models owner.

Needless to say I didn't join that club.
Languid Virago is offline Find More Posts by Languid Virago
Old 09-09-2016, 06:56 AM
Find More Posts by 3DJP
United States, NJ, Penns Grove
Joined Dec 2015
1,081 Posts
If it wasnt for restraints my face would look like a bowl of spaghetti.. Part of my starting process is to flip 3 or 4 times to clean it out WOT.. Did that ignition on and fliped it... Pow 24" prop screaming in my face... I had to take 5 after that!!
3DJP is offline Find More Posts by 3DJP
Old 09-15-2016, 07:37 PM
Find More Posts by CARS II
Go fly a jet today
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Oct 2014
515 Posts
I bet that felt something like this picture, I don't ever want to experience anything close to that.
CARS II is offline Find More Posts by CARS II
Old 09-23-2016, 12:56 PM
Find More Posts by rclad
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Sep 2016
154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR10044 View Post
Back in the 72mhz days I walked over to the impound area, pulled the 44 pin, picked up my transmitter, went over to start my plane, turned on the transmitter, immediately heard from my buddy "I don't have it" and then a loud crunch!

I looked at my transmitter, I pulled my 43 instead of the 44.

I immediately told him I shot him down, walked to my car and pulled out my checkbook. Asked him what he wanted, he tried not to let me pay him, finally got him to say what he wanted, I wrote the check for $100 over what he asked. Felt like crap for shooting down a plane and very stupid!
I felt the same way doing something similar sometime around 1988/89. (Can't remember if I was using my Futaba PCM radio on channel 44; had they been in production back then?) I was stationed at NAS Pensacola for NFO training and went to one of the outlying air strips to fly my 0.60 (glow) Laser 200. A couple pilot instructors from my base were already there flying some small RC planes. I started setting up my plane and turned on my transmitter to check my controls. Why I didn't check their frequencies first remains a mystery. Without even glancing up I went about getting my plane ready as I heard a commotion ensue behind me - something about loss of control and "I'm going in! I'm going in!" Yep, that was me. Felt really bad, and worse when the pilot wouldn't let me pay for the damage. Only thing he wanted was to borrow my Dremel set for a while. Thought I might get booted from flight training for that stupid mistake, but it never came up again. Although the pilot did get some ribbing from his buddy for getting shot down by an NFO.

Next stupidest crash - my own plane this time - was a modified Ace Seamaster with a heavy wing loading. My first electric plane, it had a $350 MaxCim motor/ESC and a ton of NiCad batteries that I soldered together myself. Plane flew great off land or water. Then, against better judgement, I took it up on a very windy day to show a friend who was interested in getting into the hobby. Nobody was at the field that day except us. After flying for awhile I turned down wind to try another approach and failed to realize in time that ground speed does not mean airspeed. Plane stalled and went straight in from 50 feet. So my friend never got into the hobby, and I got out for fifteen years until this year. I made sure my new plane, a Super Cub, had airspeed telemetry and a stick shaker (haptic feedback) on the transmitter to indicate when airspeed approaches stall. Works great!
rclad is offline Find More Posts by rclad
Last edited by rclad; 09-23-2016 at 01:24 PM.
Old 09-26-2016, 02:21 PM
Find More Posts by old nitroman
United States, FL, Naples
Joined Mar 2015
515 Posts
Tried to fly a helicopter, on airplane mode, ops wrong model, bad idea.
old nitroman is offline Find More Posts by old nitroman
Old 09-26-2016, 03:58 PM
Find More Posts by brokenprops
United States, OH, New Carlisle
Joined Jan 2014
545 Posts
One time we where doing a cross country event. At TRRC I'm sure Bill Hempel will remember. Any ways we had 3 people in a truck a driver spotter and the pilot. Anyways o er a 15 mile course landing for gas anywhere ya could. I came in to low hit a barrel cactus ripped the gear off. Low and behold the batt is hanging out the hole and it eventually came undone . It went straight in ... No survivors lol
brokenprops is online now Find More Posts by brokenprops
Old 11-14-2016, 12:42 PM
Find More Posts by Micah Lindstrom
United States, MN, Milaca
Joined Feb 2016
264 Posts
Ha I'm glad I don't have to worry about the FM radios! i would be too scared of crashing others planes... Don't be a dummy like me and not set an alarm for the transmitter and have it die in the middle of a flight... Funny thing was I only used it for 3 flights after I fully charged the bran new battery (I'm not going to blame the brand like others do) I just upgraded to a 4,000mah battery and set the alarm right
Micah Lindstrom is offline Find More Posts by Micah Lindstrom

Quick Reply