logo
Old 11-14-2016, 06:23 PM
Find More Posts by les2097
United States, LA, Lafayette
Joined Jan 2006
470 Posts
A friend was flying 72 mHz and flying at another club's fly in.... all of a sudden no radio control... plane was flying level not too high and everyone just watched it fly away... My friend a bit despondent packs up his gear has a coke and a burger and decides to then go home..

He has to drive on interstate 10 to get home and that part of I10 is separated by a large grassy median... he's at least 10 miles from the field where he lost the plane... and lo and behold he spots his plane in the median...! He stops and pulls over with his flashers on...gets out ... runs across the 4 lane interstate grabs his plane...runs back across I10 to his car...and proceeds to look it over...NO DAMAGE... it landed in the middle of I10...!! He proceeds to take it apart...puts it in his car and drives home...!!! Unbelievable... but it happened....!
les2097 is offline Find More Posts by les2097
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 11-14-2016, 06:42 PM
Find More Posts by Micah Lindstrom
United States, MN, Milaca
Joined Feb 2016
264 Posts
... I've seen a couple weird things happen, nothing like that
Quote:
Originally Posted by les2097 View Post
A friend was flying 72 mHz and flying at another club's fly in.... all of a sudden no radio control... plane was flying level not too high and everyone just watched it fly away... My friend a bit despondent packs up his gear has a coke and a burger and decides to then go home..

He has to drive on interstate 10 to get home and that part of I10 is separated by a large grassy median... he's at least 10 miles from the field where he lost the plane... and lo and behold he spots his plane in the median...! He stops and pulls over with his flashers on...gets out ... runs across the 4 lane interstate grabs his plane...runs back across I10 to his car...and proceeds to look it over...NO DAMAGE... it landed in the middle of I10...!! He proceeds to take it apart...puts it in his car and drives home...!!! Unbelievable... but it happened....!
Micah Lindstrom is offline Find More Posts by Micah Lindstrom
Old 11-15-2016, 02:03 AM
Find More Posts by stickbanger
United States, NC, Albemarle
Joined May 2014
252 Posts
We have a term for crashes at our club. We call it a yard sale. If you barely save a plane from crashing, we call that a free plane.
stickbanger is offline Find More Posts by stickbanger
Old 11-15-2016, 12:36 PM
Find More Posts by rclad
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Sep 2016
154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by les2097 View Post

Amazing story. You don't get second chances like that very often. Hope he's no longer flying on 72 MHz.
rclad is offline Find More Posts by rclad
Old 11-15-2016, 01:13 PM
Find More Posts by Brian Smith
United States, TN, Tullahoma
Joined Jan 2007
206 Posts
Dumber than dumb

I had a friend in Ohio that had two radios both on ch 57. One a sail plane and one a power model. On this day he brought them both to the field. Not a normal thing with him.. He Flew the sail plane. Parked it on the flight line with the radio. Fired up the motor model and took off and the first hi speed pass down the run way it suddenly went straight into the ground full throttle. Total destruction.. Yep shot "himself" down by forgetting to turn off the glider radio. saw it with my own eyes. Brian
Brian Smith is offline Find More Posts by Brian Smith
Old 11-16-2016, 12:50 AM
Find More Posts by Nutball
United States, TN, Mt Juliet
Joined Jul 2014
324 Posts
What was that then fancy new module called, "Dial a crash"?
Nutball is offline Find More Posts by Nutball
Old 12-26-2016, 11:52 AM
Find More Posts by ktm fanatic
United States, WA, Marysville
Joined Sep 2016
98 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by funboy View Post
Been there....
Me too !
ktm fanatic is offline Find More Posts by ktm fanatic
Old 12-26-2016, 02:20 PM
Find More Posts by tom wheeler
United States, MI, Auburn Hills
Joined Apr 2006
1,452 Posts
Here's a good one, friend was hand launching his old timer and when he released his plane his finger hit the receiver switch on the side of the airplane and as a very stable old timer (basically a free flight with a radio) started to fly away. A few guys at the field got in their cars and started to chase the aircraft. After about a half hour they lost sight of the aircraft, so they gave up.

Now that night my friend and his wife went out to dinner and a movie. When they got home and opened their front door, there was his missing airplane in the middle of the front room, in perfect condition with a light shining on it....never the less they were startled, and didn't know how this could of happened.

What happened is that their son just happened to stopped by his Mom and Dad's while they were out and the phone ranged it was a farmer who said the plane landed on his driveway and called the number listed in the plane. The son picked up the plane and thought it would be funny to leave it that way in the living room.....it was.

Tom
tom wheeler is offline Find More Posts by tom wheeler
Old 12-26-2016, 10:02 PM
Find More Posts by Nutball
United States, TN, Mt Juliet
Joined Jul 2014
324 Posts
Farmer should have gassed it up and sent it back the way it came.
Nutball is offline Find More Posts by Nutball
Old 12-27-2016, 12:59 AM
Find More Posts by FGNewbie
Joined Mar 2010
4,068 Posts
Great story tom.....
FGNewbie is offline Find More Posts by FGNewbie
Old 12-27-2016, 04:04 PM
Find More Posts by gmorales83
Carbon Fiber Everything
United States, TX, Katy
Joined Mar 2008
555 Posts
In the very early days of RC....I spent a good while scratch building my own trainer plane. I did the install of all components, had a successful takeoff, and then realized I had the right and left aileron controls reversed. The plane flopped around side to side like a fish as I struggled to try and re-learn the controls backwards...before it ended up spiraling to the ground. So much for a basic pre-flight checkup ?!

GM
gmorales83 is online now Find More Posts by gmorales83
Old 12-28-2016, 08:56 AM
Find More Posts by Bipenut
United States, WA, Grand Coulee
Joined May 2006
237 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmorales83 View Post
In the very early days of RC....I spent a good while scratch building my own trainer plane. I did the install of all components, had a successful takeoff, and then realized I had the right and left aileron controls reversed. The plane flopped around side to side like a fish as I struggled to try and re-learn the controls backwards...before it ended up spiraling to the ground. So much for a basic pre-flight checkup ?!

GM

Did that with a 50cc plane a few years ago, I was able to keep it up for a half tank of fuel and ended up in a pile. I was so mad at myself I almost quit.... Of course my wife was standing right there to witness over a thousand dollars crash..... Not a good day
Bipenut is offline Find More Posts by Bipenut
Old 12-28-2016, 09:11 AM
Find More Posts by ml82232
United States, NE, Wahoo
Joined Oct 2013
159 Posts
Ailerons will get you
Last year I switched radio brands, after changing receivers in several planes went to the field
Did the ground check on the first one, took off and bird flipped, not much damage but put it away and got out another one, BANG same thing . whats up?? in trying to figure out what happened I had the ailerons reversed looked right at it and didn't comprehend how I could be that stupid
Not once but TWICE in a row in a matter of minutes
ml82232 is offline Find More Posts by ml82232
Old 12-28-2016, 07:02 PM
Find More Posts by pcastine
Approaching critical AoA...
United States, VA, Fredericksburg
Joined Sep 2006
1,495 Posts
Here's mine: built my first plane, a SIG Kadet (from a kit). Brought it to the field and had an experienced guy help me check it out. Flew 4 or 5 great flights with him that afternoon.

Brought it out again the next day, and I anxiously got it all set up before my instructor even arrived. Thought about taking it up myself; I mean, come on - I'm almost an expert! But common sense prevailed and I waited.

The instructor arrived and I announced that the plane was gassed up and ready to go. He did a few checks and we took off. After 2 or 3 laps around the field, the plane got sluggish then stopped responding. From a training height, the plane spiraled in and re-kitted itself. Entirely.

As we trudged through the weeds out to the plane, the instructor looked my way and asked casually, "you charged it up last night, right?"

What? You're supposed to do that? D'oh!

Pete
pcastine is offline Find More Posts by pcastine
Old 12-28-2016, 08:32 PM
Find More Posts by mlholtman
Houston Texas
Joined Sep 2007
150 Posts
Years ago when we were still using 72 hertz our club used clothespins with the channel #/s on them. The rule was that if you turned your transmitter on without having the pin and you crashed someones plane you had to pay for the cost of the plane. Well a friend of mine was flying on channel 50 when 2 guests showed up and turned there transmitter on which crashed my friends plane. They agreed to pay him for the cost of the plane. Well they decided to go ahead and fly there plane since they were there but they never got the pin from my friend. Needless to say he turned his transmitter on to check his radio equipment for damage and caused there plane to crash. So they came up to him and said hey are you going to pay for the cost of our plane and my friend replied why I still have the pin! Needless to say we have never seen them since then!
mlholtman is offline Find More Posts by mlholtman
Last edited by mlholtman; 12-29-2016 at 04:43 AM.

Quick Reply