logo
Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2018, 05:08 PM
JohnVH is offline
Find More Posts by JohnVH
SnapShot
JohnVH's Avatar
Joined Feb 2006
2,385 Posts
Once all the guinea pigs get time on them, and prove them, Ill think about it, Im due for a new radio, have not bought a new one in too many years!
JohnVH is offline Find More Posts by JohnVH
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old 01-28-2018, 03:14 AM
Eury is offline
Find More Posts by Eury
A fifth of Peter.
Eury's Avatar
United States, NH, Nottingham
Joined May 2006
805 Posts
Bought it and sold it the same day. Gimbals feels great, rest of the radio and switches feel almost identical to a DX9. Very nice physical package.

Responsiveness of the touch interface is slooooow and inconsistent. Watch their support videos, it takes multiple touches to get the system to respond to almost anything, itís nothing like your smartphone in that respect, even a very old smartphone. Turning the RF off helps but it still takes 2-3 presses on almost any button to get it to do anything.

Sound is quiet enough to be useless for telemetry. Follow the instructions and change the voice, crank all the volume sliders up, even download a booster as has been suggested, still too quiet to hear clearly over my wife having the TV on. There is no way Iíd hear this at the field over wind blowing,or a gas plane, or even an electric flying anywhere near me. I am not hard of hearing, flying with my Jeti or DX9 I keep the volume somewhere around 75% and can hear it over anything at the field. Watched Horizonís live QA and they said that if you want to hear it st the field to buy a Bluetooth speaker or headphones, because you wonít hear the built in speaker with a gas plane. Unacceptable.

This is going to be a great V2 product.
Eury is offline Find More Posts by Eury
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2018, 06:29 AM
Fentonflyers is offline
Find More Posts by Fentonflyers
Registered User
United States, MO, Fenton
Joined Jan 2015
581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eury View Post
Bought it and sold it the same day. Gimbals feels great, rest of the radio and switches feel almost identical to a DX9. Very nice physical package.

Responsiveness of the touch interface is slooooow and inconsistent. Watch their support videos, it takes multiple touches to get the system to respond to almost anything, itís nothing like your smartphone in that respect, even a very old smartphone. Turning the RF off helps but it still takes 2-3 presses on almost any button to get it to do anything.

Sound is quiet enough to be useless for telemetry. Follow the instructions and change the voice, crank all the volume sliders up, even download a booster as has been suggested, still too quiet to hear clearly over my wife having the TV on. There is no way Iíd hear this at the field over wind blowing,or a gas plane, or even an electric flying anywhere near me. I am not hard of hearing, flying with my Jeti or DX9 I keep the volume somewhere around 75% and can hear it over anything at the field. Watched Horizonís live QA and they said that if you want to hear it st the field to buy a Bluetooth speaker or headphones, because you wonít hear the built in speaker with a gas plane. Unacceptable.

This is going to be a great V2 product.
The update from last Friday solved the latency in the touch response. I helped a friend maiden a 30cc gasser yesterday at the field and with the female voice and the radio at max volume I could here the radio easily. Probably could turn it down a bit.
Fentonflyers is offline Find More Posts by Fentonflyers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2018, 07:10 AM
Eury is offline
Find More Posts by Eury
A fifth of Peter.
Eury's Avatar
United States, NH, Nottingham
Joined May 2006
805 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fentonflyers View Post
The update from last Friday solved the latency in the touch response. I helped a friend maiden a 30cc gasser yesterday at the field and with the female voice and the radio at max volume I could here the radio easily. Probably could turn it down a bit.


Not really. I bought it on the day of that update. It still didnít respond to button presses first try. It may have been slightly better than the original release but itís still nothing like a smartphone in responsiveness.
Eury is offline Find More Posts by Eury
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2018, 07:54 AM
Fentonflyers is offline
Find More Posts by Fentonflyers
Registered User
United States, MO, Fenton
Joined Jan 2015
581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eury View Post
Not really. I bought it on the day of that update. It still didnít respond to button presses first try. It may have been slightly better than the original release but itís still nothing like a smartphone in responsiveness.
Works fine for me. My friends works fine after the update too. Maybe youíre was defective.
Fentonflyers is offline Find More Posts by Fentonflyers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2018, 09:00 AM
nappyroots2182 is offline
Find More Posts by nappyroots2182
Registered User
nappyroots2182's Avatar
United States, IL, Moline
Joined Oct 2008
1,896 Posts
Mine was really buggy and sluggish the first few days. I ended up doing a factory reset, deleting airware, going in and doing all android updates, downloaded airware again, then did the Friday update. It's very responsive now. The speaker sucks which I don't understand. My dx9 is crazy loud. And model changes are slow . Going to be great with a few firmware updates, glad I dont fly spek on my high usage planes. This is my fpv,heli, park flyer radio
nappyroots2182 is offline Find More Posts by nappyroots2182
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2018, 09:21 AM
Fentonflyers is offline
Find More Posts by Fentonflyers
Registered User
United States, MO, Fenton
Joined Jan 2015
581 Posts
Yeah Nappy I checked out the model change yesterday. Still very slow. I think your right though. A few more updates and most of the bugs will be sorted.
Fentonflyers is offline Find More Posts by Fentonflyers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2018, 10:44 AM
camss69 is offline
Find More Posts by camss69
DDD
camss69's Avatar
Joined Dec 2006
1,677 Posts
I messed with one at the LHS on Friday. First time we tried to start it, it just sat there starting up and was never successful. After waiting probably 5 minutes we had to turn it off and back on. Second time it had some sort of error, third time it finally started. After it started it looked nice but took a long time to start up. (as in minutes) The screen resolution, size and colors looked nice and were impressive. I did notice the slow screen response and multiple touches to get it to recognize an input but we thought it was because it still had the screen protector on from the factory, we didn't take it off since it was a new radio still for sale. The rest of it felt like the DX9, I did like the programming, it was easy and quick to find anything you were looking for. I'm sure it will be nice after they get a few of the bugs worked out. It amazes me that they don't get things like a slow responding touchscreen and startup issues ironed out in the testing phase. I can understand some bugs here and there but those two things seem pretty major for a new radio.


If I was in the market for a new spektrum radio and couldn't get the DX20 this is the one I'd buy. I still need a BNF radio for stuff I can't fly with my Jeti but I don't have any BNF at the moment. The used DX9's hitting the market from people buying these sure are tempting though.
camss69 is offline Find More Posts by camss69
Last edited by camss69; 01-28-2018 at 10:49 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2018, 03:03 PM
clpahodges is offline
Find More Posts by clpahodges
Retired and loving it
clpahodges's Avatar
United States, FL, St Augustine
Joined Jul 2010
270 Posts
I am very interested on this radio, but I think I will wait a while to see what, if any, bugs might arise.

Bill Hodges
clpahodges is offline Find More Posts by clpahodges
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2018, 07:07 PM
nappyroots2182 is offline
Find More Posts by nappyroots2182
Registered User
nappyroots2182's Avatar
United States, IL, Moline
Joined Oct 2008
1,896 Posts
Second firmware update came out today. They are being very proactive about getting this smoothed out. I'm really liking this radio. Don't be afraid to get one.
nappyroots2182 is offline Find More Posts by nappyroots2182
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2018, 02:48 PM
haribo is offline
Find More Posts by haribo
Registered User
haribo's Avatar
Joined Dec 2016
564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eury View Post
Responsiveness of the touch interface is slooooow and inconsistent.
Watch their support videos, it takes multiple touches to get the system to respond to almost anything,
it’s nothing like your smartphone in that respect, even a very old smartphone.
Turning the RF off helps but it still takes 2-3 presses on almost any button to get it to do anything.
any smartphone under $50 is way more performant.
none of the world's top 10 smartphone makers are using such crappy processors.
the DRAM (not internal or external memory to store models) size and speed is also an important factor which leads the system to run slowly.
haribo is offline Find More Posts by haribo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2018, 09:30 AM
Guille2017 is offline
Find More Posts by Guille2017
www.alelilaser.com
Guille2017's Avatar
Italy, Emilia-Romagna, Castelnuovo Rangone
Joined Jan 2017
66 Posts
Yes... actually they're basically the same platform. All the front was redesigned in order to fit new electronics from them...
I know it 'cause did that job with Aircraft Studio Design. We also did other models for spektrum... check out the site!!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Fentonflyers View Post
Quick pic of mine. Very much the feel of the DX9
Guille2017 is offline Find More Posts by Guille2017
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2018, 07:13 PM
Spridal is offline
Find More Posts by Spridal
Registered User
Spridal's Avatar
Joined May 2010
587 Posts
So it has been a couple of months. How are things going with the ix 12?
Spridal is offline Find More Posts by Spridal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2018, 08:32 PM
Fentonflyers is offline
Find More Posts by Fentonflyers
Registered User
United States, MO, Fenton
Joined Jan 2015
581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spridal View Post
So it has been a couple of months. How are things going with the ix 12?
I'm able to crash them with that just as good as my 18.

All kidding aside it's fine. Learning curve and some expected teething. They have produced another good radio.
Fentonflyers is offline Find More Posts by Fentonflyers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2018, 08:05 AM
WangoTango is offline
Find More Posts by WangoTango
Registered User
WangoTango's Avatar
Conroe, Texas U.S.A.
Joined Feb 2007
4,902 Posts
Hmmmmmmm.....

I made mention of getting four of these in the shop. I sold all four in one day and we have pre-sold another six. One of the original four radios is in my possession to set up in a warbird and honestly, I can't get the blasted thing past the first screen after it turns on. Haven't got to call a Horizon tech yet but will try later this week. One other unit had the same problem but the owner was an IT type that got it to work.
I'm not very keen on having to "re-flash" , reset, or do any uploading or downloading anything to get a new piece of radio gear to work out of the box.
Two out of four having the same problem of not being able to function for two different users is not what I expected. Will keep y'all posted on my findings.
WT
WangoTango is offline Find More Posts by WangoTango
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message


Quick Reply
Message:


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (0 members and 2 guests)
 
Thread Tools