logo
Old 02-28-2018, 11:38 PM
Find More Posts by camss69
DDD
Joined Dec 2006
1,677 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by haribo View Post
the Android developers always focus on the newest greatest hardware, they usually support old versions for two years only.
Not to drag this into an Android vs iPhone debate but this is one of the main reasons I dont have an Android device. Itís also why Android based devices like this keep me away from them. Once the get the bugs worked out Iím sure itís going to be a great transmitter.... but how long will itís version of Android be supported?
camss69 is online now Find More Posts by camss69
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 03-01-2018, 12:01 AM
Find More Posts by WangoTango
Conroe, Texas U.S.A.
Joined Feb 2007
4,902 Posts
[QUOTE=tec;2717545]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WangoTango View Post
Just got off the phone with the Horizon tech..... "Yeah, ya need to update 'em when you take 'em out of the box." Huh? Last time I checked, I didn't tune my new car, I walked out of the Apple Store with my new super duper notebook pro all set to run....... I'm not getting the warm fuzzy thingy about this radio. Two of the four radios came right up and we were able to set rates, reverse servos, set throws just like it was something you were glad to get your hands on. The other two now need to be updated and oh by the way, you have to have their $16.95 programming cord. (SPMA3065) Seems like this stuff ought to leave their hands in working order before it gets to me...... Just sayin'
WT[/QUOTE

It's almost impossible for every iX12 manufactured to receive the latest firmware or updates before it's shipped from the factory, the Spektrum team has worked tirelessly to correct any bugs or glitches.

So tell me why you need an AS3X Programming cable to update your iX12?
Because thatís what cable the Horizon tech told me to get.... I looked at the other three radios and there wasnít a cable in one other of the radios.... Iíll be giving this rig a chance but as someone in the hobby shop business that hears the complaints direct from a user, you gotta understand that my confidence level is a bit shaken at this point. Iím sure thereís gonna be a success story with the ix12 but Iím used to pulling a radio out of the box, charging it, programming a bird and boring some holes in the sky. Spectrum has hit a home run as far as the touch screen on this radio. I use a DX18 gen2 as well as my JR 10X. I have zero problems out of either one. So yes..... I had greater expectations. The Android/WiFi capabilities is ďjelly on the biscuitĒ and Iíd hope they make a version of the ix12 without it and still keep the
touch screen/ no roller feature. They could call it a DX12 and sell a bazillion of Ďem!
WT
WangoTango is offline Find More Posts by WangoTango
Old 03-01-2018, 12:42 AM
Find More Posts by haribo
Joined Dec 2016
562 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by camss69 View Post
but how long will it’s version of Android be supported?
you can live without internet and all crummy useless apps. (calculator, maps, spotify, music player, calendar...)
if the play store ever becomes unusable (as InternetExplorer) within 10 years, there still is a possibility to download the Airware apk file from HH site and insert it into Android firmware.
haribo is offline Find More Posts by haribo
Old 03-01-2018, 04:21 PM
Find More Posts by MarksHangar
I'm just "Miss Behavin"
United States, GA, Savannah
Joined May 2014
398 Posts
I think we now know which edge of technology this one is on... (See post #16)
MarksHangar is online now Find More Posts by MarksHangar
Old 03-01-2018, 06:25 PM
Find More Posts by cosmith
Joined Aug 2014
343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by haribo View Post
what's wrong with screen resolution ? (unless you want to watch FHD p0rn... )
Nothing wrong per se...but without knowing what the resolution is I would bet it's not nearly as good as my phone, which again I already have.

I have a question for anyone who's been using an ix12 for a bit now. Once the novelty wears off, do you still find yourself using Android apps on the radio, or do you pull out your phone instead?

I'm going to guess that most ix12s in first world countries will only ever run the Airware app...
cosmith is offline Find More Posts by cosmith
Old 03-01-2018, 10:53 PM
Find More Posts by haribo
Joined Dec 2016
562 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmith View Post
Honestly, wouldn't this be much better better than jamming a crummy touch screen and crummy Android chipset into an existing radio???
DX9 = $450 + $50 tablet = $500
IX12 = $600 = ($100 net cash + usual profit margin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmith View Post
Nothing wrong per se...but without knowing what the resolution is I would bet it's not nearly as good as my phone, which again I already have.
Android version 5.1.1
processor = the cost of a burger king menu
graphics performance = slightly over iPhone 4
resolution 800x480 weak but enough for this device

haribo is offline Find More Posts by haribo
Last edited by haribo; 03-02-2018 at 12:53 AM.
Old 03-02-2018, 12:35 AM
Find More Posts by Hoosier06
United States, IN, Highland
Joined Jan 2006
614 Posts
Had mine for a month or so, never had an issue. I did the thing to increase volume and it is OK. At least they have an option to improve it with the use of a bluetooth clip on speaker. I got one to try it out. Hooked up to the transmitter like plug and play.

You do not need a wire of any kind to do an update in spite of what someone here was told. A special wire is needed to update certain receivers. We had an update today and there is an improvement in the touch screen and things seem to work a bit faster. I can load up a new plane very quickly.

The update got rid of the looping issue. There were not a gazillion guys with problems on rcg that I saw. Same old Spektrum service and help. They answer to everything and will not abandon users. Where do you find another Transmitter Company who will design and update transmitters as per consumers requests?
Hoosier06 is offline Find More Posts by Hoosier06
Last edited by Hoosier06; 03-02-2018 at 10:01 AM.
Old 07-01-2018, 12:07 PM
Find More Posts by bjbina01
Joined Jul 2018
1 Posts
Update from noobie with an iX12

Now that I am flying (an back to the modeling after a 40 year break) with the iX12. There is much in this radio I don't yet understand, but at this point, that is perfectly fine. I have use the iX12 for some bnf drone flying around the apartment and house. Finally I got airborne with an Apprentice and Icon A5 and have a Mueler on the taxiway.

I love the android interface. It is handy to load model manual PDFs for reference at the field an in the workshop. If I have my tablet with me, yes that is better, but for quick reference in the field, the iX12 screen is just fine.

I recall that earlier this year, there were no model profiles available for download and had to use the DX8 or another Gen 2 Spektrum library. Now, Horizon has profiles available in the iX12 page.

The reason I got the iX12? Since know I love the hobby, I wanted a radio I could grow with. Most things become obsolete after a time, but this seemed like a better investment to get this radio and the RTF version of the Apprentice gave me a solid "cheap" transmitter for a basic spare.

No problems, just things to learn.

All in all, I am having fun, being frustrated only by my skills and not the tools. Very grateful for the information available on line and from my local club.

If you are familiar with the Android/Google ecosystem, and enjoy solving puzzles, the iX12 is a great choice. It won't be for everyone. But don't be afraid of the radio. Appears pretty solid at this point.
bjbina01 is offline Find More Posts by bjbina01
Old 02-05-2019, 07:35 PM
Find More Posts by Spridal
Joined May 2010
587 Posts
Just went through all pages of this thread. Seems like no one is happy with the ix12. I've had mine for over a year now and it has been solid. Maybe I got lucky and got the only good one.
Spridal is offline Find More Posts by Spridal
Old 02-05-2019, 08:36 PM
Find More Posts by kork
United States, MN, Elk River
Joined Nov 2011
886 Posts
I'm all in as well! I was able to set up a plane in quick fashion without any help.I plan on binding two new $$ builds, so cross my fingers. The biggest reason I purchased was for 12 channels.. nothing else really..
kork is online now Find More Posts by kork
Old 02-05-2019, 08:47 PM
tec
Find More Posts by tec
tec
Team Horizon Team BVM
Winter Park, CO
Joined Mar 2006
1,230 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spridal View Post
Just went through all pages of this thread. Seems like no one is happy with the ix12. I've had mine for over a year now and it has been solid. Maybe I got lucky and got the only good one.
Not all iX12 users are on forums, I have yet to meet a customer who absolutely hated or disliked the platform in person.
tec is offline Find More Posts by tec
Old 02-05-2019, 09:32 PM
Find More Posts by Rolling Thunder
Team Horizon Hobby
Glendale, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
1,752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tec View Post
Not all iX12 users are on forums, I have yet to meet a customer who absolutely hated or disliked the platform in person.
I agree with Brian, but there is definitely a learning curve to the radio. We have both been using them since the beginning and they have been solid. Me not being an android guy had some catching up to do.
Rolling Thunder is offline Find More Posts by Rolling Thunder
Old 02-05-2019, 10:24 PM
Find More Posts by tobytorkn
peebles
Joined Jan 2006
637 Posts
I like my ix12
tobytorkn is offline Find More Posts by tobytorkn
Old 02-06-2019, 01:27 AM
Find More Posts by Shaker
Doug Cronkhite
Joined Jan 2006
2,556 Posts
I've never had problems with the RF link.. The responsiveness of the screen / ARM processor is another issue, but reportedly it's gotten better with recent updates. I'll check it out when I get home in a couple weeks.
Shaker is offline Find More Posts by Shaker
Old 02-06-2019, 07:23 AM
Find More Posts by jonathanmanopla
Panama, Panama City
Joined Oct 2006
1,129 Posts
i love it my IX12 i have 2 month with it, its so easy to setup a plane.
jonathanmanopla is online now Find More Posts by jonathanmanopla

Quick Reply