logo
Old 11-05-2019, 02:18 PM
Find More Posts by matt_xb8r
United States, TX, Wichita Falls
Joined Nov 2008
17 Posts
Help!
Hitec 965 servo issue? **resolved**

So I put together a new edge 540 the last few days and I've got a weird issue with the Hitec 965 servos in it. If it was just one I'd blame a bad servo but all of them have the same thing happening. They are all super noisy and hanging in places during movement. Then one will randomly start moving slowly and pop back to center. Can't say I've ever had this type of issue so hoping someone can help.

I'm running a Futaba radio. Tried 3 different receivers and 2 different transmitters. All have same issue. Changed battery packs, same issue. Just plugged in one servo, same result for it.

You can really see it happen at the very first and the end of the video. I'm not manipulating the sticks at all during that. Fyi, the rudder and other elevator servo aren't plugged in.

Edge 540 servo issue (0 min 30 sec)
matt_xb8r is offline Find More Posts by matt_xb8r
Last edited by matt_xb8r; 11-05-2019 at 06:42 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 11-05-2019, 02:42 PM
Find More Posts by rmasek
United States, OH, Cleve
Joined Feb 2010
310 Posts
what voltage.
rmasek is offline Find More Posts by rmasek
Old 11-05-2019, 02:45 PM
United States, OH, Cleve
Joined Feb 2010
310 Posts
they are only rated up to 6 volts pic of inside your plane would help
Old 11-05-2019, 02:49 PM
Find More Posts by jln1320
United States, FL, Daytona Beach
Joined Feb 2015
101 Posts
Have you tried it with the transmitter not so close to the receiver?
jln1320 is offline Find More Posts by jln1320
Old 11-05-2019, 03:07 PM
Find More Posts by FGNewbie
Joined Mar 2010
4,080 Posts
bypass all of your extensions and go directly into your receiver from the servo. watch what happens. if the problem goes away your extensions are oxidized. good luck.
FGNewbie is online now Find More Posts by FGNewbie
Old 11-05-2019, 03:18 PM
Find More Posts by Truckracer
Des Moines, Iowa USA
Joined Nov 2007
4,855 Posts
I have had similar problems with certain Hitec and Futaba analog servos with freshly charged 6v + batteries. In my case, the problem was resolved by using more modern digital servos. The problem is compounded by the signal pulse voltage being lower on newer receivers than the ones being used when analog servos were the norm. Most digital servos are designed to tolerate the lower pulse voltage. Long servo extensions and / or worn or questionable connections can compound the problem.
Truckracer is online now Find More Posts by Truckracer
Last edited by Truckracer; 11-05-2019 at 06:14 PM.
Old 11-05-2019, 03:33 PM
Joined Nov 2008
17 Posts
Running on 6 volt. Tried both a life and a nimh pack. The throttle servo does it as well with just it plugged in and theres no extension running to that one. Others all have new extensions that I just put together so I dont believe oxidation would be the issue. I did run it with the transmitter away from the plane with no change although I didnt try it outside the shop. Maybe the led lights in the shop are causing something so I'll try that and see if it changes anything.
Appreciate all the assistance. Just hoping I dont have to change these all out. Lol
Old 11-05-2019, 03:51 PM
Joined Nov 2008
17 Posts
No change with that either although I plugged in a savox digital and it looks to be working fine.
I've got an older 617 receiver that I'll try in a bit and see if that changes anything before I start pulling servos.
Old 11-05-2019, 03:53 PM
Des Moines, Iowa USA
Joined Nov 2007
4,855 Posts
The analog servos I had problems with would act up on the bench when connected directly to the receiver. Connected to an older 72 MHz receiver, they would work perfectly.
Old 11-05-2019, 04:34 PM
United States, OH, Cleve
Joined Feb 2010
310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_xb8r View Post
Running on 6 volt. Tried both a life and a nimh pack. The throttle servo does it as well with just it plugged in and theres no extension running to that one. Others all have new extensions that I just put together so I dont believe oxidation would be the issue. I did run it with the transmitter away from the plane with no change although I didnt try it outside the shop. Maybe the led lights in the shop are causing something so I'll try that and see if it changes anything.
Appreciate all the assistance. Just hoping I dont have to change these all out. Lol
both of those packs are over 7.2 volts fully charged try a 4.8 pack or use a regulator.
Old 11-05-2019, 04:39 PM
Des Moines, Iowa USA
Joined Nov 2007
4,855 Posts
The 4.8 V pack will probably resolve the problem. But speaking only for myself, I no longer considere a 4.8V source or a system that uses a regulator as an adequate power source.
Old 11-05-2019, 04:44 PM
United States, OH, Cleve
Joined Feb 2010
310 Posts
[QUOTE=Truckracer;2910349]The 4.8 V pack will probably resolve the problem. But speaking only for myself, I no longer considere a 4.8V source or a system that uses a regulator as an adequate power source.[/QUOTE
i agree, servo only rated for 6volts just trying to see if that is the problem.
Old 11-05-2019, 05:55 PM
Find More Posts by Xpress..
Fully Sending It
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Mar 2008
2,934 Posts
Max operating voltage is 7.2v, which a 2 cell LiFe and a 5 cell NiMH are well under. This sounds like they are seeing more frames than they know what to do with, ensure you are not running in high speed mode on your receiver, they need about 15ms or slower to work properly.
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old 11-05-2019, 06:05 PM
Joined Nov 2008
17 Posts
So the issue turned out to be the newer receiver with the older servos. Have to give Truckracer props for pointing me the right direction. I dug out an older orange receiver from 8+ years ago and they work like they should now. I want to try one of my 617 receivers to see if that works as well but haven't located one yet. And I may try a different mode on a newer 7008 receiver just to test and see if that changes things. I had forgotten about that piece until Xpress mentioned it. I assume the signal pulse was the culprit but good to know theres a cure...lol
Appreciate it guys!
Old 11-05-2019, 06:13 PM
Des Moines, Iowa USA
Joined Nov 2007
4,855 Posts
The decoder in the 617 receiver outputs a slightly higher voltage than the 7008 and similar receivers. That may also resolve the problem. +1 to what Xpress said about pulse frame rate. I didn't think to mention that earlier on but that would certainly be a problem if it were too fast. Good to hear you are finding a work around for the problem.

Quick Reply