logo
Old 11-08-2019, 07:08 PM
Find More Posts by jamesrxx951
toledo ohio
Joined Jan 2009
10,519 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitsu1 View Post
I know I'm good with Lipo 7.4 for my servos. My doubt was with the Fromeco Lithium ions which basically claim to be both 7.4 & 8.4??? I have no experience in this chemistry type battery, as it's not a Lipo as Memo expressed, when suggesting them. I'm almost certain 8.4 would kill my servo, as they are rated as 6.6 & 7.4. I don't know anything about Fromeco Relions, but it seems you need to regulate them if you want 7.4 consistently. Avoiding Regulators & Power Busses is why I only use Powersafe receivers.
All current Lipos and LiIons are nominal 7.4v. fully charged is 8.4. that is normal. Since your used to A123's, they are very consistent at 6.6v. but if it is a HV servo (rated at 7.4V) every major brand servo is spec'd for a fully charged Lipo. So your safe. What servos do you have?
jamesrxx951 is online now Find More Posts by jamesrxx951
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 11-08-2019, 07:15 PM
Find More Posts by Mitsu1
United States, AR, Maumelle
Joined Jun 2006
610 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dshriver View Post
Whoa here, lets back up a minute. Charging in your plane is a bad idea. So lets start with that.

However, batteries on the motor box is a terrible idea, regardless of chemistry. Its just particularly bad with LiPos. By mounting batteries to the motor box you are exposing batteries to high heat, high vibrations, potential fuel spills/leaks and you are also placing them on the part of the plane most likely to be damaged in a crash. Its just a bad idea in every way.

Remove some weight from the tail or add some weight to the nose. Mount those batteries where you can get to them. Regardless of chemistry, its in your best interest to have them some place you can remove them and inspect them.
Thanks for the re-focus. I agree with everything you have said, but ... kinda hard to get the necessary weight up to the front on the Aeroworks Yak55M 108" That tail moment is long, and I'm barely getting the best balance with the batts on the motor box. The manual even show them there. Looks like I'm going to be staying with LiFe batts on this plane, anyways ...

My whole intent from the beginning was to pump up the performance on the aileron servos, without having to buy all new stronger performing @ 6.6v servos. I could get that extra performance if I went to 7.4v as opposed to 6.6, .... and not have to shell out a few hundred bucks on new servos.
Mitsu1 is offline Find More Posts by Mitsu1
Old 11-08-2019, 07:34 PM
Find More Posts by jamesrxx951
toledo ohio
Joined Jan 2009
10,519 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the re-focus. I agree with everything you have said, but ... kinda hard to get the necessary weight up to the front on the Aeroworks Yak55M 108" That tail moment is long, and I'm barely getting the best balance with the batts on the motor box. The manual even show them there. Looks like I'm going to be staying with LiFe batts on this plane, anyways ...

My whole intent from the beginning was to pump up the performance on the aileron servos, without having to buy all new stronger performing @ 6.6v servos. I could get that extra performance if I went to 7.4v as opposed to 6.6, .... and not have to shell out a few hundred bucks on new servos.
From my experience with AW planes and running tuned pipes, I needed all the weight in the nose I could get. I too had to put my batteries in the motor box.
jamesrxx951 is online now Find More Posts by jamesrxx951
Old 11-08-2019, 08:26 PM
Find More Posts by Bunky F. Knuckle
Just your Average Joe.
Joined Jan 2006
8,494 Posts
Quote:

Push your engine out, another 1/4". You have a huge weight right there in the engine. On a Yak, you dont need to keep a short spinner/cowl gap.
Bunky F. Knuckle is offline Find More Posts by Bunky F. Knuckle
Old 11-08-2019, 10:55 PM
Joined Jun 2006
610 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunky F. Knuckle View Post
Push your engine out, another 1/4". You have a huge weight right there in the engine. On a Yak, you dont need to keep a short spinner/cowl gap.
Hahaha, ... That trick was already employed!, plus a radial cowl doesn't look right ... unless it's spinner is standing off properly!
Last edited by Mitsu1; 11-09-2019 at 12:29 AM.
Old 11-09-2019, 04:55 AM
Find More Posts by Smokeyr67
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Apr 2013
41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epoweredrc View Post
Unless your a super pilot like Jase or someone I don't know why anyone needs the power from 7.4 but maybe you do, I won't ever put a lipo in a gas plane. i just don't like the idea. my servos are all plenty quick for my flying at 6.0V
My theory is that by using HV servos you can use a smaller, lighter servo for the same role, saving a couple of grams per servo.

Iíd like to see more 3s LiFe R4 packs available, but thatís only because Iím a bit of a techno weenie and like to play around with power distribution systems and the like.
Smokeyr67 is offline Find More Posts by Smokeyr67
Old 11-09-2019, 07:04 AM
Find More Posts by jharkin
United States, MA, Holliston
Joined Jul 2007
659 Posts
Quote:
Ok, ... I'm officially behind the curve on these. I guess I always thought these were Lipos too. Literature on their page show these as 7.4V, .. but 8.4V fully charged. My servos are only rated for 7.4V, so not sure I could do this batt if I wanted to ...

P.S., ... just checked, .. looks like these need a regulator for my use. Defeats my whole keep it simple constitution of LiFe + Powersafe = Happiness/Simplicity. ....
Servo rating number are for battery NOMINAL voltages. Any ď7.4Ē servo can take a full charged LiPo/LiIon.

Funny we are going back to Fromeco Lions, thatís what I used (with regs for 6v servos) before A123 was invented... but back in the day they where limited to something like 2A discharge. Has that improved?

Personally Iíd stick with A 123... not just for charge safety but also so I donít have to worry about storage. If more power is needed you can always pop in some Futaba A700s
jharkin is online now Find More Posts by jharkin
Old 11-09-2019, 09:35 AM
Find More Posts by ponyboy082662
wrongwayfeldman
United States, AL, Florence
Joined Mar 2010
2,430 Posts
Quote:
Hahaha, ... That trick was already employed!, plus a radial cowl doesn't look right ... unless it's spinner is standing off properly!
100% agree...also doesn't work as good if not pushed out where the prop can get a bite. Too close and only the prop tips are working.
ponyboy082662 is offline Find More Posts by ponyboy082662
Old 11-09-2019, 10:12 AM
Find More Posts by camss69
DDD
Joined Dec 2006
1,677 Posts
The answer is to run LiIon’s like others have already said, you can put them where you need them, you get the benefit of the higher voltage, and you can charge them in your plane.

That being said I run both LiPo and LiIon in my planes, if I can’t get to the batts for some reason (because of where or how they are mounted) they get LiIon. If they are easily removable they get LiPo.

I’ve had more Pulse LiPo’s go bad on me than all other brands combined. I’m very careful with my batts, always balance charge, 1C charge, .3amp discharge and I always put them at storage charge after I’m done flying, I’m done with Pulse LiPo’s. Actually I don’t even charge at 1C I usually charge at 1amp!
camss69 is online now Find More Posts by camss69
Old 11-09-2019, 10:16 AM
DDD
Joined Dec 2006
1,677 Posts
I forgot to mention, I use Fromeco LiIon’s, they are just bulletproof. They are old school and been around forever. Their service is slow but they will always take care of you. I’ve got Fromeco’s that are literally 10 years old and still work fine but I’ve cycled them out just because of age. Now I use them for setup on the bench.
Old 11-09-2019, 10:52 AM
Find More Posts by ponyboy082662
wrongwayfeldman
United States, AL, Florence
Joined Mar 2010
2,430 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by camss69 View Post
I forgot to mention, I use Fromeco LiIonís, they are just bulletproof. They are old school and been around forever. Their service is slow but they will always take care of you. Iíve got Fromecoís that are literally 10 years old and still work fine but Iíve cycled them out just because of age. Now I use them for setup on the bench.
I have a Fromeco 2600 nah liIon that I bought March 2010 and still works fine .
ponyboy082662 is offline Find More Posts by ponyboy082662
Old 11-09-2019, 11:01 AM
Find More Posts by rooman
They're get'n lower mate.....
United States, GA, Savannah
Joined Nov 2006
3,131 Posts
Ion's are certainly not old school .....
Still have some of TroyBuilt's first packs still going strong
Have many Fromeco 5600 packs no issues
It's ones personal preference -
rooman is offline Find More Posts by rooman
Old 11-09-2019, 11:03 AM
Find More Posts by Islandflyer
Put Scale Back Into Aerobatics
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Mar 2007
2,315 Posts
On my own plane, I use Fromeco LiIon also: safe, long lasting, and way enough amperage for most people's flying.
I only install LiPos when our top team pilots fly my planes: Spencer Nordquist, Gabriel Altuz and Bryant Mack all told me that they could feel some blow-back on LiIon power after the second flight.

Full disclosure: we are a distributor for Fromeco, so we use them when we can.
Islandflyer is offline Find More Posts by Islandflyer
Old 11-09-2019, 12:40 PM
DDD
Joined Dec 2006
1,677 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rooman View Post
Ion's are certainly not old school .....
Still have some of TroyBuilt's first packs still going strong
Have many Fromeco 5600 packs no issues
It's ones personal preference -
If itís been around longer than a decade, itís old school in my book lol!
Old 11-09-2019, 03:11 PM
Joined Jun 2006
610 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandflyer View Post
On my own plane, I use Fromeco LiIon also: safe, long lasting, and way enough amperage for most people's flying.
I only install LiPos when our top team pilots fly my planes: Spencer Nordquist, Gabriel Altuz and Bryant Mack all told me that they could feel some blow-back on LiIon power after the second flight.

Full disclosure: we are a distributor for Fromeco, so we use them when we can.
This is quite interesting and most informative. I've not considered Fromeco LiIons before. I also remain quite uncomfortable with Lipos while desiring that extra punch from 7.4. Looks like I've got to reconsider a number of things! .... Some New in Package Pulse 3600mah Lipos might be coming up in the classifieds ...

Quick Reply