logo
Old 06-21-2012, 06:50 PM
Find More Posts by androidx1
United States, OH, Avon
Joined May 2012
32 Posts
Discussion
Dual Receivers (Positives and Negatives)

Hi Everyone......
Im just starting to work on finishing two planes (30cc and 50cc). I just recently purchased a used 12Z (2.4ghz) to use for these planes and ive been thinking about the best way to set up the planes......specifically the receivers (one or two)

Ive been flying for 30 years but dont have much experience with larger stuff (specifically gas). All my flying has been with nitro or electric and nothing larger than say a 72 inch plane or so......

Anyway.......so i really like the idea of two receivers for redundancy (two batteries, two switches, two receivers) So if something goes wrong with one, I can still get the plane down. I would set it up so if one receiver/switch/batter fails, I will still have control of at lease say the right half elevator, and the left aileron.

That said, if it was such a great idea everyone would be doing it....so what are the drawbacks? why isnt everyone flying this way.

On a side note......which do u guys think is better? One Futaba reciever or two Frsky FASST compatible receiver? Im asking because if im going to use two receivers, i would save lots of money up front on the receivers if I purchased the Frsky receivers..........

Anyway.....Cant wait to hear some input from members with more experience than me!!!!
androidx1 is offline Find More Posts by androidx1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 06-21-2012, 06:55 PM
Find More Posts by mbacosa
United States, AZ, Scottsdale
Joined May 2008
2,087 Posts
I always use two receivers on my big stuff. It's cheap insurance.
mbacosa is offline Find More Posts by mbacosa
Old 06-21-2012, 06:58 PM
Find More Posts by Wayne's World
Its great to be alive!
United States, OH, Norwalk
Joined Mar 2008
1,563 Posts
I just put in "dual receivers" under the search button in the upper right hand corner of this page and it came back with 145,000 posts and views. If it were me i would maybe read some of those...Good luck.
Wayne's World is offline Find More Posts by Wayne's World
Old 06-21-2012, 07:00 PM
Find More Posts by Mithrandir
TEAM FUTABA
High Desert California, USA
Joined Jan 2006
7,939 Posts
basically, the downside is the cost of the extra Rx...

the upside... if one Rx chars, you will likely have enuff control to at least choose the crash site... and maybe save the plane ....

I run a single Rx in my 2 meter pattern plane, dual Rx's in 35 and 40% planes..

the reliability is so good with the modern equipment, prolly not much difference in reality...

do what you are comfortable with...
Mithrandir is offline Find More Posts by Mithrandir
Old 06-21-2012, 07:00 PM
Find More Posts by IwataAir
Super Contributor
Joined Oct 2011
436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne's World View Post
I just put in "dual receivers" under the search button in the upper right hand corner of this page and it came back with 145,000 posts and views. If it were me i would maybe read some of those...Good luck.

I wonder what post count it takes before you start becoming angry at new people for not using search, anyone know the sweet spot.
IwataAir is offline Find More Posts by IwataAir
Last edited by IwataAir; 06-21-2012 at 07:08 PM.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:07 PM
Find More Posts by FHHuber
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2011
1,007 Posts
It has been shown in tests that with a well planned dual (or more) RX setup you can lose one RX and still have adequate control to safely land ... or direct a marginally controllable aircraft away from spectators.

If you are doing multiple RXs for the added safety I wouldn't cheap out with the Frsky units.

Another way to approach multiple RXs is convenience.

EG: One RX in the fuselage for tailplanes, bomb bay doors, bomb drop and fuselage functions + One RX in each wing to handle ail + flap + retract + any other wing specific functions in a large bomber... One plug per wing for power when connecting the wings to the fuselage instead of 4 to 8 plugs if using a single RX.

What multi RX plan you use depends on your reason for going to multi RXs and the model you are putting them in.
FHHuber is offline Find More Posts by FHHuber
Old 06-21-2012, 07:09 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2011
1,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IwataAir View Post
I wonder what post count it takes before you start becoming angry at new people for not using search, anyone know the sweet spot.
Depends on the person.

After dealing with the beginner forums on another site for several years I don't worry about people forgetting to try a search first...

No one in beginner section ever searches before asking a question.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:23 PM
Find More Posts by rcbrucelee
Doo It! Doo It!
United States, WA, Ridgefield
Joined Jul 2009
106 Posts
The more you read on the internet the more it looks like modern 2.4 rx's are almost bullet proof, it seems to be more battery failure or not setting up batteries with enough power to the rx for gangs of high power servos. I'v read some blogs about how tuff the new rx's are being surface mount tech. that you almost have to break the rx board for them to stop working. The old 72 freq had several parts that could and would break with vibration over time, I used to use 2 rx's. Personally I haven't seen any brand name 2.4 rx's fail in the last 3 years of using them, I fly heli's and gas planes and haven't had 1 glitch since switching to 2.4, just my opinion. LOL
rcbrucelee is offline Find More Posts by rcbrucelee
Old 06-21-2012, 07:31 PM
Find More Posts by db1331
United States, SC, Sumter
Joined Jul 2007
470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne's World View Post
Who wants to read 145,000 post ? I personally use 1 receiver and have half the chance of a receiver failure than someone with 2 receivers
db1331 is offline Find More Posts by db1331
Old 06-21-2012, 07:32 PM
Super Contributor
Joined Oct 2011
436 Posts
Bullet proof, 5.62 or 7.6, 50cal which calibre??
Old 06-21-2012, 07:33 PM
Super Contributor
Joined Oct 2011
436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by db1331 View Post
Who wants to read 145,000 post ? I personally use 1 receiver and have half the chance of a receiver failure than someone with 2 receivers
Yes I agree, like reading yesterdays newspaper...
Old 06-21-2012, 07:35 PM
Find More Posts by Phil Griffin
Sponsored by my wife & girls
United States, AL, Mountain Brook
Joined Jun 2008
10,271 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbacosa View Post
I always use two receivers on my big stuff. It's cheap insurance.
Yeah, what he said...
Phil Griffin is offline Find More Posts by Phil Griffin
Old 06-21-2012, 07:38 PM
Find More Posts by Wayne's World
Its great to be alive!
United States, OH, Norwalk
Joined Mar 2008
1,563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by db1331 View Post
Same here 1 receiver less chance for failure... 2 switches 2 batteries 1 receiver. I also use royal purple/no boost tabs/and make my own gas tanks...
Wayne's World is offline Find More Posts by Wayne's World
Old 06-21-2012, 07:55 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2011
1,007 Posts
I've done dual RXs for 72 mhz.... don't see the need with 2.4 ghz single engine 50cc and below. Above 50cc or multi-engine there may be good reason to do it. (see the note about making a BIG bomber)

Note that if you have a "less than ideal" dual RX setup and the wrong one fails... both may as well have failed.
I put one RX in the wing and one in the fuselage of a C-337. The wing one had all the flight control surfaces, fuselage had the engines and nosewheel. (no wire connections when putting wing on fuselage)
You can't steer a push-pull twin engine plane very well with just throttle and nosewheel
Old 06-21-2012, 08:27 PM
Find More Posts by androidx1
United States, OH, Avon
Joined May 2012
32 Posts
Thanks for all the input guys........maybe the best idea is what Waynes world recommended......two batteries/two switches and one receiver........maybe I'll go that direction since both the planes im working on are 50cc and 30cc.......

And sorry for not looking through the 145,000 threads before posting....should have done that...sorry.

I'll take some time and read some of them.........
androidx1 is offline Find More Posts by androidx1

Quick Reply