Old 01-27-2014, 02:35 PM
Find More Posts by wcc963
Head in the clouds
United States, FL, Coconut Creek
Joined Nov 2006
338 Posts
Discussion
Rob Holland competition practice FPV

I'm surprised no one has posted this yet. Rob put this video up a few days ago, really cool to see an FPV of his practice session.

Rob Holland "What I See - Competition Practice" (4 min 27 sec)
wcc963 is offline Find More Posts by wcc963
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 01-27-2014, 02:42 PM
Find More Posts by Shaker
Doug Cronkhite
Joined Jan 2006
2,556 Posts
I really wish we'd see more precision flying, but it seems like all anyone wants is smoke and tumbles. I LOVE that video though. Would like to see more!
Shaker is offline Find More Posts by Shaker
Old 01-27-2014, 02:59 PM
Head in the clouds
Joined Nov 2006
338 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaker View Post
I really wish we'd see more precision flying, but it seems like all anyone wants is smoke and tumbles. I LOVE that video though. Would like to see more!
Exactly my thought as well... tumbles and smoke are all good fun, but precision takes skill, dedication and lots of seat time. A well flown precision sequence does more for me than someone tumbling about. I only have about 30 min worth of time in my buddies Extra 300 and even i did tumbles. He will practice for months for a just a few competitions.

I can't remember if I read it or heard it in a video but someone asked an airshow pilot(can't remember who) "What makes a good airshow performance?" his response was "It has to be a good combination of high energy tumbles and spins, mixed with precision. When you can incorporate all that seamlessly you'll delight the entire crowd. The general public enjoys the tumbles but the pilots in the crowd appreciate the precision more, they understand how hard precision really is." I think that sums it up, the reason we see more smoke and tumbles than precision is because it appeals to a larger crowd.
Last edited by wcc963; 01-27-2014 at 03:06 PM.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:06 PM
Find More Posts by BOSSIER_ROB
Just Here For The Comments
United States, LA, Bossier City
Joined Mar 2007
6,773 Posts
BOSSIER_ROB is offline Find More Posts by BOSSIER_ROB
Last edited by BOSSIER_ROB; 08-23-2014 at 12:46 PM.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:23 PM
Head in the clouds
Joined Nov 2006
338 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSSIER_ROB View Post
That was shot over the Coushatta,LA airport just south of my area. He was flying like crazy that week. I give him props. It was pretty hot that week. Definitely a good bit more than he was used to. He asked "Is it ever under 100 here?! Every time I'm here it's hot." I said "January. It'll be in the 60s-70s."
At one point, the engine mount cracked. He limped it to Shreveport where the firewall forward was removed on Friday, shipped in another mount, and had it ready to go Saturday evening. My fiance and I flew down to Coushatta the next day to watch. Watching him fly the unlimited sequence, go over a few maneuvers, and then cut loose into some freestyle was amazing. Sick, SICK flying! As he was getting out, he went to shut off the camera and it was cracked up. It must have smacked the canopy pretty good. That tells you how violent the ride was.Afterwards we sat around in the shade pounding water and telling flying stories. Real down to earth fella and gave me a ton of helpful info. That was a weekend I'll remember for a while. Pretty cool.
that sounds like an awesome weekend... I need to have one like that
Old 01-27-2014, 05:44 PM
Find More Posts by Mithrandir
TEAM FUTABA
High Desert California, USA
Joined Jan 2006
7,937 Posts
Interesting... at about 1:25.. he does a stall-turn... and quite a lot of opposite aileron and down elev over the top...

and at about 2:55... he does a positive snap on a 45 down line... notice he departs the plane positive.. but immediately afterwards he goes to down elevator..... I knew they did this with the biplanes to speed the snap and keep'em from digging in too deep... didn't know they also did it with the monoplanes....

Mithrandir is offline Find More Posts by Mithrandir
Old 01-27-2014, 05:54 PM
Find More Posts by Cryhavoc38
Living the dream
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined Oct 2007
6,508 Posts
i..i don't feel soo well after watching that video in full screen mode.....
Cryhavoc38 is offline Find More Posts by Cryhavoc38
Old 01-27-2014, 05:58 PM
Head in the clouds
Joined Nov 2006
338 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithrandir View Post
Interesting... at about 1:25.. he does a stall-turn... and quite a lot of opposite aileron and down elev over the top...

and at about 2:55... he does a positive snap on a 45 down line... notice he departs the plane positive.. but immediately afterwards he goes to down elevator..... I knew they did this with the biplanes to speed the snap and keep'em from digging in too deep... didn't know they also did it with the monoplanes....

I had noticed that too.. If you look out the canopy during the snap on the 45 down you can see he doesn't depart that much and isn't to deep into the snap. The only reason I could think of why he does this is to be able to have a sharper stop at the end of the snap.

For the hammerhead turn as far as I know the opposite aileron is there to counteract torque and prevent coupling from the full rudder and keep on the same heading as the entry. And I know I did this in my buddies extra 300 when we were doing hammers. I can't recall if he had me do any down elevator though. I Know when doing a double hammerhead after the first rotation it's full down to use the gyroscopic forces to help get it around the second. So him adding a bit of down could just be him getting around quicker.

Btw this is all just from my understanding of competition aerobatics, I could be wrong.
Last edited by wcc963; 01-28-2014 at 02:42 AM.
Old 01-27-2014, 06:11 PM
Find More Posts by PepsiMike
United States, NC, Indian Trail
Joined Apr 2006
24 Posts
Brought the video up, leaned forward, began to watch.........and then the heavy metal started.. why? For the love of all that is Holy - WHY?
PepsiMike is offline Find More Posts by PepsiMike
Old 01-27-2014, 07:23 PM
Head in the clouds
Joined Nov 2006
338 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiMike View Post
Brought the video up, leaned forward, began to watch.........and then the heavy metal started.. why? For the love of all that is Holy - WHY?
High energy flying needs high energy music... Plus that wasn't that heavy :P
Old 01-27-2014, 07:31 PM
Find More Posts by BOSSIER_ROB
Just Here For The Comments
United States, LA, Bossier City
Joined Mar 2007
6,773 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiMike View Post
Because using Coldplay would SUCK!
BOSSIER_ROB is offline Find More Posts by BOSSIER_ROB
Old 01-27-2014, 07:32 PM
Find More Posts by Shaker
Doug Cronkhite
Joined Jan 2006
2,556 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcc963 View Post
I had noticed that too.. If you look out the canopy during the snap on the 45 down you can see he doesn't depart that much and isn't to deep into the snap. The only reason I could think of why he does this is to be able to have a sharper stop at the end of the snap.

Far the hammerhead turn as far as I know the opposite alieron is there to counteract torque and prevent coupling from the full rudder and keep on the same heading as the entry. And I know I did this in my buddies extra 300 when we were doing hammers. I can't recall if he had me do any down elevator though. I k Know when doing a double hammerhead after the first rotation it's full down to use the gyroscopic forces to help get it around the second. So him adding a bit of down could just be him getting around quicker.

Btw this is all just from my understanding of competition aerobatics, I could be wrong.
The reason you unload the snaps like that is to reduce drag and therefor reduce energy loss.

For the hammerhead, the reason there is so much right aileron and down elevator is because the 'top' wing in a hammer will generate a lot of lift as compared to the 'pivot' wing causing you to roll over on your back. Torque does come into play as well though.
Shaker is offline Find More Posts by Shaker
Old 01-27-2014, 07:34 PM
Find More Posts by grizzz
addicted to flying
United States, GA, Kingsland
Joined Jan 2011
744 Posts
ok now I am dizzy
grizzz is online now Find More Posts by grizzz
Old 01-27-2014, 07:54 PM
Find More Posts by Mithrandir
TEAM FUTABA
High Desert California, USA
Joined Jan 2006
7,937 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaker View Post
The reason you unload the snaps like that is to reduce drag and therefor reduce energy loss.

For the hammerhead, the reason there is so much right aileron and down elevator is because the 'top' wing in a hammer will generate a lot of lift as compared to the 'pivot' wing causing you to roll over on your back. Torque does come into play as well though.
Symetrical Airfoil at Zero AOA... why is it lifting?
I would think it to be more of a yaw coupling combined with torque and maybe even P-Factor..
curious if a stall turn to the right needs the same corrections and in the same amounts....
Mithrandir is offline Find More Posts by Mithrandir
Old 01-27-2014, 08:43 PM
Find More Posts by Ohio AV8TOR
Just Do It
United States, OH, Delaware
Joined Apr 2008
1,538 Posts
Awesome, thanks for posting it.
Ohio AV8TOR is offline Find More Posts by Ohio AV8TOR

Quick Reply