logo
Old 11-07-2019, 08:55 PM
Find More Posts by Bunky F. Knuckle
Just your Average Joe.
Joined Jan 2006
9,237 Posts
I'd personally get a SW. I see too many EFs out there. Are they good airplanes?? You bet. I want something that isnt your ordinaly run of the mill airplane. Thats why I love the Corvus Racer. You dont see many of them or a Yak 55M. I'm over the Extras and Edges and Slicks.
Bunky F. Knuckle is offline Find More Posts by Bunky F. Knuckle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 11-08-2019, 04:49 AM
Find More Posts by velocity
Joined Dec 2011
493 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnlh View Post
Thanks Joe, but not really the info I was after, perhaps I wasn't clear. Let's try again.

Apples to apples and all things being equal, compare the flight characteristics of an EF 105" Slick to a SW 104" Slick. This is where differences should show. ie airfoil design, fuse design, coupling habits, etc. Has SW put in the hours with accomplished pilots and refined the design parameters to eek out the best in flying characteristics like EF/3DHS has?
As mentioned earlier the owners themselves are very accomplished flyers. They spend a lot of time flying and refining their product before putting it up for sale. They also give their planes to other very good pilots who then give their feedback.
velocity is offline Find More Posts by velocity
Old 11-08-2019, 05:50 AM
Find More Posts by David Kane
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2019
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnlh View Post
Thanks Joe, but not really the info I was after, perhaps I wasn't clear. Let's try again.

Apples to apples and all things being equal, compare the flight characteristics of an EF 105" Slick to a SW 104" Slick. This is where differences should show. ie airfoil design, fuse design, coupling habits, etc. Has SW put in the hours with accomplished pilots and refined the design parameters to eek out the best in flying characteristics like EF/3DHS has?
I had the same question in 2018 Nall in Fall when I saw these airframes. The gentleman who bought them in was quite happy to let me take these airframes apart and let me do my "investigation".

Having owned several 35% planes - I wanted to do a comparison with the other known brands in USA. The SW planes have similar airfoil design, fuse design, coupling habits, etc. to EF, AJ, PAU. Additionally the young talent that we had at Nall in Fall put on a show in 2018 with these Skywing planes.

I personally flew the Edge 540 105" and the Extra 300 101". The extra 101 flew like my EF Slick but a lot more locked in.

I found a video of the Extra I flew (no I am not the pilot ) :

Skywing Extra 101" - Saturday flying Sept 29th 2018 by Antonio De Souza (Part1) (4 min 52 sec)

Skywing Extra 101" - Saturday flying Sept 29th 2018 by Antonio De Souza (Part2) (2 min 29 sec)
David Kane is offline Find More Posts by David Kane
Reply With Quote  (Disabled) Quick reply to this message (Disabled)
Old 11-08-2019, 08:10 AM
Find More Posts by closetguy
United States, OH, Berlin Heights
Joined Jul 2006
5,961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunky F. Knuckle View Post
I'd personally get a SW. I see too many EFs out there. Are they good airplanes?? You bet. I want something that isnt your ordinaly run of the mill airplane. Thats why I love the Corvus Racer. You dont see many of them or a Yak 55M. I'm over the Extras and Edges and Slicks.
closetguy is offline Find More Posts by closetguy
Old 11-09-2019, 12:42 PM
Find More Posts by always flying
Brow Beatin'....
Lethbridge,Ab
Joined Jan 2006
387 Posts
skywing needs to come out with a yak!
always flying is offline Find More Posts by always flying
Old 11-09-2019, 03:17 PM
Find More Posts by wingburner
Canada, AB, Beaverlodge
Joined Jan 2006
604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by always flying View Post
skywing needs to come out with a yak!
Ya buds....be a winner for sure!!
wingburner is offline Find More Posts by wingburner
Old 11-09-2019, 05:23 PM
Find More Posts by Shawnlh
Smiley
Canada, AB, Medicine Hat
Joined Jan 2006
512 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kane View Post
I had the same question in 2018 Nall in Fall when I saw these airframes. The gentleman who bought them in was quite happy to let me take these airframes apart and let me do my "investigation".

Having owned several 35% planes - I wanted to do a comparison with the other known brands in USA. The SW planes have similar airfoil design, fuse design, coupling habits, etc. to EF, AJ, PAU. Additionally the young talent that we had at Nall in Fall put on a show in 2018 with these Skywing planes.

I personally flew the Edge 540 105" and the Extra 300 101". The extra 101 flew like my EF Slick but a lot more locked in.
Thanks David, this is more in line with what I was looking for.
Shawnlh is offline Find More Posts by Shawnlh
Old 11-10-2019, 05:08 PM
Find More Posts by randomguy
United States, MA, Holliston
Joined Sep 2018
76 Posts
I would!

Full-scale Pitts’ have wood wings. Last I checked, no Pitts had ever had a structural failure leading to a fatality (I’m ignoring one single example that’s not relevant here). The same was not true for any of the composites: Extra, Edge, you name it. That’s despite Pitts’ having flown many more hours.

Two reasons. One is composites are harder to work with, with less margin for error. Two is the failure modes. Wood gives you warning. Carbon is perfect til it isn’t.

Plus wood airplanes are *fun* to fly [in]. Pitts, Cubs, Champs, Stearmans. I’m starting to daydream...

No question that carbon is generally higher performance though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghoffman View Post
To me, wood is not a structural material. It makes pretty furniture and floors, but I would not ride in anything made of it more than walking speed.
randomguy is offline Find More Posts by randomguy
Old 11-10-2019, 06:09 PM
Find More Posts by VinceY
That guy
United States, GA, Newnan
Joined Feb 2006
734 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomguy View Post
I would!

Full-scale Pitts’ have wood wings. Last I checked, no Pitts had ever had a structural failure leading to a fatality (I’m ignoring one single example that’s not relevant here). The same was not true for any of the composites: Extra, Edge, you name it. That’s despite Pitts’ having flown many more hours.
In 1996 Clancy Speal lost both wings on one side of a Pitts and crashed into the Ohio river killing him on impact.
VinceY is offline Find More Posts by VinceY
Old 11-10-2019, 06:29 PM
Joined Jul 2006
5,961 Posts
Yeah, full scale wood planes will never hold up to that.
Old 11-10-2019, 07:05 PM
Find More Posts by erjpilot
Quakertown, PA USA
Joined Jan 2006
883 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceY View Post
In 1996 Clancy Speal lost both wings on one side of a Pitts and crashed into the Ohio river killing him on impact.
Clancy trucked that airplane from show to show. He took it apart and assembled it each time. The failure IIRC was a result of this constant disassembling/reassembling and or not assembling it properly, not a failure of the Pitts structure itself.
erjpilot is offline Find More Posts by erjpilot
Old 11-11-2019, 12:39 PM
Find More Posts by randomguy
United States, MA, Holliston
Joined Sep 2018
76 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erjpilot View Post
Clancy trucked that airplane from show to show. He took it apart and assembled it each time. The failure IIRC was a result of this constant disassembling/reassembling and or not assembling it properly, not a failure of the Pitts structure itself.
This is the exception I alluded to in my post. It doesn't seem appropriate to blame that crash on the wood construction.
randomguy is offline Find More Posts by randomguy
Old 11-11-2019, 03:45 PM
Joined Jul 2006
5,961 Posts
Who's to say what caused it to go in,how would anyone of us know for sure.It's just one of those things when you fly.
Old 11-11-2019, 04:11 PM
Find More Posts by suds
indywestrc & viehercfliers
United States, IN, Zionsville
Joined Jul 2014
622 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by closetguy View Post
Who's to say what caused it to go in,how would anyone of us know for sure.It's just one of those things when you fly.
The NTSB has the unfortunate task of making the determination of probable cause.
https://app.ntsb.gov/pdfgenerator/Re...Final&IType=FA
suds is offline Find More Posts by suds
Old 11-11-2019, 06:49 PM
Joined Jul 2006
5,961 Posts
It's just amazing the information you can find on the net. if you know how.
Thanks

Quick Reply