logo
Old 05-26-2019, 02:29 PM
Find More Posts by tms261
United States, NC, Cary
Joined May 2010
15 Posts
Discussion
Big gas vs electric

Hey guys. I've been flying nothing but gas 50cc and up for 15 years or so. I'm considering trying electric for my next build, a 91 inch Laser. I've been using 6s lipos in EDF's for a couple of years and have high high amp chargers. Any of you out there fly gas and electric? I know some benefits....little noise, clean, no vibration.....Any downsides?
tms261 is offline Find More Posts by tms261
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 05-26-2019, 02:44 PM
Find More Posts by Festivus
I fly 12 months a year
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2017
879 Posts
Extremely short flight time fun reduced 91 percent. That is the short side to me. I have seen a few at my field try 30cc size planes to electric they all had issues with dependability and power after two minutes.
Festivus is offline Find More Posts by Festivus
Last edited by Festivus; 05-26-2019 at 03:01 PM.
Old 05-26-2019, 03:00 PM
United States, NC, Cary
Joined May 2010
15 Posts
As far as extremely short, I know thats the case with my edf's as I only get about 4 minutes. But watch a video of 60cc size electric with two 6s batteries on Extreme Fiights website. Jase Dussia flying about 10 minutes. I guess 10 minutes is short to some. As far as fun reduced? Watch the video. Just as powerful as a DA 70 twin with can....which would be my alternative. Just getting tired of the bark of everyones pitts mufflers. So are our neighbors. No deserts in NC.
Old 05-26-2019, 04:46 PM
I fly 12 months a year
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2017
879 Posts
I understand that I'm not saying all fights are short but some of jace's videos are I believe added together to show more maneuvers I would go with da70 on a can before I would go electric I'm running cans at our field not required but it's kind of nice flying a quiet gasoline plane and I fly 15 minute flights oh yeah for is short for me should I take.
Old 05-26-2019, 04:57 PM
Find More Posts by dmichael
United States, MD, Laurel
Joined Jan 2006
1,042 Posts
Electrics have come a long way- performance is incredible. Smooth, powerful and for the most part reliable - I ran a 78" EF Extra on electric (10s) for a few years- I did have a speed controller go bad- but otherwise worked really well.

That said- I have pulled back on electrics for a few reasons- The main one is Lipo danger (we had a club member burn down his garage and I have read numerous stories) - for me I am nervous about doing something wrong and burning down the house. Others may feel differently.

Secondarily, flight times are still relatively short and for me there is the associated fear of damaging your expensive batteries if you push too long.

In addition- I like the ability to "gas and go" or not. By that I mean, I have to "plan" to fly another flight by getting my batteries charged- then I'm committed to using the battery. But sometimes, for whatever reason, you can't or don't want to fly another flight and you have fully charged Lipos to discharge one way or another. With gas I can choose to fly or not fly another flight at a moment's notice with no consequences.
dmichael is offline Find More Posts by dmichael
Old 05-26-2019, 07:31 PM
Find More Posts by dshriver
United States, TX, Cypress
Joined Oct 2014
987 Posts
Up to the 70cc size there are great options for electric or gas. Both have advantages and disadvantages. You just have to figure out which works better for you. I fly gas on everything above 3S because I just love gas and glow.

Modern setups on electric should get you 5-6 minutes on a 3D plane. Gas will get you 12 -15 minutes with similar weight/power. I don't like the hassle of charging big lipos but the instant power, smooth operation, lower noise, and clean operation are all attractive.
dshriver is offline Find More Posts by dshriver
Old 05-26-2019, 07:42 PM
Find More Posts by Rcbeast93
United States, SC, Rock Hill
Joined Sep 2016
14 Posts
Just bought an 83" MXS Heavymetal and gonna put a Xpwr 40cc with 120hv in it. Thought about the gas like 35-50cc but my buddy suggested to put a electric setup maybe something with the power without "overkill"? I flew once with the 50cc and throttle are too touchy and does anyone flew with the 40cc electric? Just curious your opinion.
Rcbeast93 is online now Find More Posts by Rcbeast93
Old 05-26-2019, 07:44 PM
United States, NC, Cary
Joined May 2010
15 Posts
Thanks, yeah I have wondered about whether the videos were edited. I have wondered how much I would miss gas since thats all I have flown for 15 years.
Old 05-26-2019, 07:50 PM
United States, NC, Cary
Joined May 2010
15 Posts
Yeah, as far as flight times, all I have to go on is my EDF's (really short times), and the videos on Extreme Flights website. I think I will call and try to get an idea of actual flight time averages. I used to fly about 15 minutes with both gas and glow but these days I only fly gas and have cut back to about 10.
Old 05-27-2019, 07:59 AM
Find More Posts by jharkin
United States, MA, Holliston
Joined Jul 2007
527 Posts
I have both, but electrics have only replaced my smaller glow planes and helicopters. N

Nothing bigger than a single 6S 4000 pack for me - once you go over that you need to start investing in big charging equipment and either a LOT of packs or generators/ banks of deep cycle batteries. The huge $$ investment, heavy equipment to haul and time sink managing batteries negates any percieved convenience benefit IMHO.
jharkin is offline Find More Posts by jharkin
Old 05-27-2019, 08:28 AM
I fly 12 months a year
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2017
879 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tms261 View Post
Thanks, yeah I have wondered about whether the videos were edited. I have wondered how much I would miss gas since thats all I have flown for 15 years.
Once you go gas, you cannot go back.
Gas will give you full power at the very end of the flight. Electrics take off and are on a decreasing power curve, last half of flight half power or less.Stay GAS!!!!
Old 05-27-2019, 11:20 AM
Find More Posts by jkent27
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Jul 2014
105 Posts
I fly both 35% gas and 30% electric. If I could only fly one, it would be the gas. Having said that, I still love my one electric. I fly it often between the gas flights. It's a nice change of pace. Very quiet, very smooth.

I'm flying the x-power 60cc set up. I run 12s 5000 mah batteries. I set my timer for 6 minutes and with reasonable throttle, usually come down with about 35-40% left in the packs. I've never experienced any noticeable decrease in power during the flight. Plenty of power for hovering or any other aerobatics. Now, if you let your voltage get too low, bad things will happen quick.

If I did anything different, I would get higher mah packs to increase the flight time a little. My plane and setup (3DHS 92 Edge V1) is light enough to handle a little heavier pack. Maybe 6000 mah or so.
jkent27 is offline Find More Posts by jkent27
Old 05-27-2019, 12:40 PM
tec
Find More Posts by tec
tec
Team Horizon Team BVM
Winter Park, CO
Joined Mar 2006
1,225 Posts
I'm in the midst of building my first 30% electric, why did I choose to try it? For one I fly lots of 6S powered EDF Jets and 12s helicopters, I already have multiple sets of batteries, 1000w charges, and a field generator. Secondly is my elevation of 6,000', The DA 70 is a DOG on an 18-20lb airplane, yes it flies but it's nothing spectacular! Maybe the GP76 will be a better choice in the future? For today, I would rather have instant spool and ballistic power for 6 minutes, then 12 minutes of lame and blah.
tec is offline Find More Posts by tec
Old 05-27-2019, 02:08 PM
Find More Posts by marksextra
Once U go Yak, U never go back
pa
Joined Mar 2006
442 Posts
I have flown both. My 89” slick was 12s5000 and I loved the reliability, how clean everything was, I didn’t need a tether when by myself, and for me I don’t like flying over 8 or so minutes anyways. For charging I bought a cart to pull my two deep cycle marine batteries to the field. I flew 3 sets of batteries. Fly while charging a set. I could fly all day. I ended up trying bigger electric when my zdz80 flamed out in a low harrier and I crashed my comp-arf. Stalling an engine is not cool. I also don’t like the gas smell or the exhaust residue all over or finicky carb needles. There are benefits to both gas and electric. Pick one and try it.
marksextra is offline Find More Posts by marksextra
Old 05-27-2019, 02:43 PM
Find More Posts by Raleighcopter
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Feb 2016
312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcbeast93 View Post
Just bought an 83" MXS Heavymetal and gonna put a Xpwr 40cc with 120hv in it. Thought about the gas like 35-50cc but my buddy suggested to put a electric setup maybe something with the power without "overkill"? I flew once with the 50cc and throttle are too touchy and does anyone flew with the 40cc electric? Just curious your opinion.
Throttles are touchy if the geometry isn't set up correctly. Also, a throttle curve can help but proper geometry will make the throttle very controllable, especially at the bottom end where I suspect you had the most issues.
Raleighcopter is offline Find More Posts by Raleighcopter

Quick Reply