logo
Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2019, 11:17 PM
Model_Builder is offline
Find More Posts by Model_Builder
Registered User
Model_Builder's Avatar
Joined May 2008
62 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinckley Bill View Post
Picked up the original plans for the DP TOC Bucker Jungmann from a gentleman up in the Rock Island IL area
Thanks for posting those plans Bill. Lots of info to be gleaned. I have an LHS in a small Cdn city. A guy came in recently and asked for Ni-Chrome wire. I thought finally, a real builder. Turned out he wanted it for vaping. I keep it under the counter now.

I have to hand it to you American lads. You keep the momentum of the best aspects of modelling tradition alive.
Model_Builder is offline Find More Posts by Model_Builder
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old 07-10-2019, 11:48 PM
The Hodge is offline
Find More Posts by The Hodge
Registered User
The Hodge's Avatar
Victoria, Austrailia
Joined Mar 2008
1,172 Posts
Do you have the Plans for the 40% Pitts? Should be nice build.

One day i plan to build the Miles reed 37% Pitts challenger II
The Hodge is offline Find More Posts by The Hodge
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2019, 09:27 AM
airega1 is offline
Find More Posts by airega1
Blue Skies
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Jun 2006
107 Posts
Anyone remember this jewel?

I acquired this off Steve in 2005, talk about a phenomenal flying aircraft
airega1 is offline Find More Posts by airega1
Last edited by airega1; 07-12-2019 at 09:29 AM. Reason: correct
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2019, 05:32 PM
The Hodge is offline
Find More Posts by The Hodge
Registered User
The Hodge's Avatar
Victoria, Austrailia
Joined Mar 2008
1,172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airega1 View Post
I acquired this off Steve in 2005, talk about a phenomenal flying aircraft
Cool, What sort of ultimate is this? What size?
The Hodge is offline Find More Posts by The Hodge
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2019, 05:54 PM
Whiplash48 is offline
Find More Posts by Whiplash48
Registered User
Whiplash48's Avatar
Maryland
Joined Apr 2009
110 Posts
That was our No.1 airplane in the 1990 TOC.

And the backup in 1992.


Built by Steve and Ron Stahl. So cool that you still fly it!!!


(images previously posted)


The first Ultimate Steve and I did in '88 was built up balsa and ply but same size as yours. The wing section on the '88 - '90 was ~7% on both airplanes which was a good part of why they fly so well. The '84 Stearman used a pretty standard 10% NACA 0010 section (pretty thin for 1984) with some LE sharpening to improve snaps.



We really had to work around the power limitations of the engines available in those days. A modern 50 cc motor has considerably more pep than a 70 cc motor had then.


Chris
Whiplash48 is offline Find More Posts by Whiplash48
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2019, 11:12 PM
Model_Builder is offline
Find More Posts by Model_Builder
Registered User
Model_Builder's Avatar
Joined May 2008
62 Posts
Pitts plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hodge View Post
Do you have the Plans for the 40% Pitts? Should be nice build.

One day i plan to build the Miles reed 37% Pitts challenger II
No, Sorry I do not have the plans. I thought I would draw the old Pilot 28.5% S2A up. Dead nuts scale but for airfoils. The one Great Planes sold years ago as their own ARF along with a so called one third Christen Eagle the same size. That would have been a 79.6 in span in actuality. Not 68.5", But I digress. They were great flyers. I was going to use the NACA 0015 Airfoil and do an EMHW thang to the fuse. I drew up all the x sections and longerons to the Pilot from the scant few shown on the plan.
Model_Builder is offline Find More Posts by Model_Builder
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2019, 11:27 AM
Whiplash48 is offline
Find More Posts by Whiplash48
Registered User
Whiplash48's Avatar
Maryland
Joined Apr 2009
110 Posts
To answer your previous question, what size was the Stricker '90-'92 Ultimate; approximately 36% scale, span shortened 10%, tail moment stretched 10%, horizontal stab dropped 10%. Overall fuselage length including spinner was 96".


The G&L Ultimate was the next step after the '88 built up Ultimate and was designed directly from my '88 plans.


http://www.glhobbies.com/Biplane/36bipe.html

Glass fuselage,foam/balsa wing.
Whiplash48 is offline Find More Posts by Whiplash48
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2019, 04:00 PM
The Hodge is offline
Find More Posts by The Hodge
Registered User
The Hodge's Avatar
Victoria, Austrailia
Joined Mar 2008
1,172 Posts
Looks great,Great Design, Any chance this could be built fully from plans today?
The Hodge is offline Find More Posts by The Hodge
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2019, 05:24 PM
The Hodge is offline
Find More Posts by The Hodge
Registered User
The Hodge's Avatar
Victoria, Austrailia
Joined Mar 2008
1,172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Model_Builder View Post
No, Sorry I do not have the plans. I thought I would draw the old Pilot 28.5% S2A up. Dead nuts scale but for airfoils. The one Great Planes sold years ago as their own ARF along with a so called one third Christen Eagle the same size. That would have been a 79.6 in span in actuality. Not 68.5", But I digress. They were great flyers. I was going to use the NACA 0015 Airfoil and do an EMHW thang to the fuse. I drew up all the x sections and longerons to the Pilot from the scant few shown on the plan.
Looking very nice, Keep us updated.
The Hodge is offline Find More Posts by The Hodge
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2019, 10:39 PM
Model_Builder is offline
Find More Posts by Model_Builder
Registered User
Model_Builder's Avatar
Joined May 2008
62 Posts
Hey Hodge,

The 37% Challenger II would be a sweet build. Are glass parts available?
Right up my alley. So many Classic subjects. The 33% Bucker BU133 is another I have molds for. Otherwise one has to buy an AZ Crafters short kit for the price of used half ton just to get glass parts.
My pallet for biplanes is insatiable. Currently building 2 Dario Brisighella Sr, 21% Waco E's just because I love them. Business has interfered with their progress but I am getting rid of the business. The UIC is on the drawing board. Currently the E's are at 800 plus pc's for the pair. I'm glad I bought big Vac formed radials when available. An OS55GT and sorry a DLE55 will adorn the second. I usually build in pairs. Always plans. A Jerry Behren's TA4000 is also in the works. I am fortunate that I enjoy cutting wood and building in the winter as much or more than flying in the Summer. Forgive please me for running on. Retiring youngish is within sight and I am keen to have my life back.
Model_Builder is offline Find More Posts by Model_Builder
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2019, 11:37 PM
The Hodge is offline
Find More Posts by The Hodge
Registered User
The Hodge's Avatar
Victoria, Austrailia
Joined Mar 2008
1,172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Model_Builder View Post
The 37% Challenger II would be a sweet build. Are glass parts available?
Right up my alley. So many Classic subjects. The 33% Bucker BU133 is another I have molds for. Otherwise one has to buy an AZ Crafters short kit for the price of used half ton just to get glass parts.
My pallet for biplanes is insatiable. Currently building 2 Dario Brisighella Sr, 21% Waco E's just because I love them. Business has interfered with their progress but I am getting rid of the business. The UIC is on the drawing board. Currently the E's are at 800 plus pc's for the pair. I'm glad I bought big Vac formed radials when available. An OS55GT and sorry a DLE55 will adorn the second. I usually build in pairs. Always plans. A Jerry Behren's TA4000 is also in the works. I am fortunate that I enjoy cutting wood and building in the winter as much or more than flying in the Summer. Forgive please me for running on. Retiring youngish is within sight and I am keen to have my life back.
The MIles Reed 37% Challenger II will be great im sure, It uses a balsa build cowl. The Canopy and Wheel Spats ive used are from the Wendell hostler design as there good match.

Fun Fact, The Challenger from what im told was designed around Christian eagle Fuse, Pitts bottom wing, Ulitmate style top wing and stabs or at leaset the model does. I think this is what was quoted from Sean tucker. But i could be wrong.

Either way pretty cool model.
The Hodge is offline Find More Posts by The Hodge
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2019, 07:46 PM
Model_Builder is offline
Find More Posts by Model_Builder
Registered User
Model_Builder's Avatar
Joined May 2008
62 Posts
The Raven S2-S and Pitts Viper Inspiration

Raven 2XS Specifications

Length 19' 4"
Wing span 19' 2"
Height 6' 6"
Wing area 119.4 sq ft
Fuel Capacity 37 gal
Empty weight 1180 lbs
Gross weight 1780 lbs

Top speed, level 200 mph
Cruise speed 188 mph
Stall speed 60 mph
Roll rate 330 degrees per second
Rate of climb 3300 fpm
Model_Builder is offline Find More Posts by Model_Builder
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2019, 08:08 PM
The Hodge is offline
Find More Posts by The Hodge
Registered User
The Hodge's Avatar
Victoria, Austrailia
Joined Mar 2008
1,172 Posts
Viper Looks Cool, So what Scale are you building?
The Hodge is offline Find More Posts by The Hodge
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2019, 09:46 PM
Model_Builder is offline
Find More Posts by Model_Builder
Registered User
Model_Builder's Avatar
Joined May 2008
62 Posts
Pitts Pics

These are from Steve Wolf. Reminded me of the Challenger.
Presently building 33% S1S. From Mike Smart plans I redrew and corrected. I kitted a 25% of the same. I bought a partial set of 33% S2-A plans off ebay eons ago. The only 33% that isn't an Andy Sheber clone. Nearly driven myself around the bend trying to identify and complete the set. An elegant design. Thought I had found a completed model from the plan in Germany to find out that it was a one off.
Model_Builder is offline Find More Posts by Model_Builder
Last edited by Model_Builder; 07-20-2019 at 09:47 PM. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2019, 09:52 PM
Model_Builder is offline
Find More Posts by Model_Builder
Registered User
Model_Builder's Avatar
Joined May 2008
62 Posts
One off.

This one had same interplane strut construction as the mystery plan. Someone must know what plan shown in previous post is.
Model_Builder is offline Find More Posts by Model_Builder
Last edited by Model_Builder; 07-20-2019 at 09:54 PM. Reason: clarity
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message


Quick Reply
Message:


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 4 (0 members and 4 guests)
 
Thread Tools