Old 08-16-2016, 03:10 AM
Find More Posts by Peter Tolstov
Australia, QLD, Holland Park West
Joined Aug 2016
49 Posts
Alert
HOBBY KING TURNIGY TR-111 TWIN Petrol

Hi ALL,

I wish to warn all those considering the TURNIGY TR-111 Twin motor as a cheap option over various more expensive twin cylinder motors.

The Turnigy TR-111 motor is not fit for purpose as an aero engine.
It will self destruct in a very short period of time due to very poor crank tolerance & grossly under-size rear crank bearing .

I initially thought I would try this motor when it first came out discounted from Hobby King (International Warehouse).
Yes, it was very cheap, yes it looked the part, spare parts are non-existent as is any warranty from Hobby King.
My motor spun the crank in the first few minutes running, destroying the under-size rear crank bearing & locking the corkscrewed crank in the cases
OK, so I pulled it apart to find I could twist the crank out of alignment by hand.
I repaired the damaged cases, replaced all bearings, aligned the crank, TIG Welded the big end crank pins to the crank webs to reinforce the crankshaft.
I carefully reassembled the motor believing I had at least solved the crank issues.
DLA 112 parts are inter-changeable, except the rear crank bearing which is much smaller in overall diameter than DLE or DLA.
I managed to get 2 tanks of fuel through the repaired motor before the rear crank bearing failed (quality Japanese bearing).
Luckily my aircraft is still intact.
This motor will be dismantled and any usable parts will be kept as spares for my DLA 112 twin. The remainder will be going in the bin.
My lesson from this exercise is, the initial cost, plus the repair cost, plus the time spent rebuilding the motor is more than a DLE, DLA and not much less than a
DA 100L.
So if anyone out there is considering a motor for their 100cc-120cc aircraft this is not the motor to choose.
My experience with DA is excellent but not cheap.
DLA & DLE are good budget priced Chinese motors. (Dubious QC)
Steer clear of Chinese bitsa rubbish dumped on the Australian market by the likes of Hobby King no matter how cheap it is.
You may be unlucky enough to lose your aircraft as well as the cheap motor in it!
I hope to save Aussie modelers some time, money & frustration!
Wishing you all endless blue skies & much RC air-time.
Regards,
Pete T.
Peter Tolstov is offline Find More Posts by Peter Tolstov
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 09-03-2016, 09:52 PM
Find More Posts by BeverleyFlyer
Australia, WA, Midland
Joined Aug 2010
2,372 Posts
With the support we get here from DLE australia and DA australia, why would you bother with anything else? as you have proved it can cost more in the long run
BeverleyFlyer is offline Find More Posts by BeverleyFlyer
Old 09-12-2016, 04:48 AM
Find More Posts by Peter Tolstov
Australia, QLD, Holland Park West
Joined Aug 2016
49 Posts
QUALITY Products?!

I do not disagree with you're analogy!
However, if you never try anything new, you will never know what you might be missing.
I tried and failed this time, maybe next time, I get lucky!
Maybe there won't be a next time, when I can get a second hand DA100L for the same price, and I know what I'm getting with it!
Pete.
Peter Tolstov is offline Find More Posts by Peter Tolstov
Old 09-13-2016, 06:56 AM
Find More Posts by BeverleyFlyer
Australia, WA, Midland
Joined Aug 2010
2,372 Posts
Hi Pete
I have lost too many models using dodgy gear ,
I cant see the point risking $3000 + model just to save a few hundred,
DLE or DA Motors and Futaba Radio, I wount compromise on anything else, I have used other brands of motors radios and servos and had issues,
JR DSM2 radios and Hitec servos cost me nearly $6000 in models in a less than a year, and they were new not second hand,
so for me it's not worth the risk to use cheaper gear
BeverleyFlyer is offline Find More Posts by BeverleyFlyer

Quick Reply