logo
Old 09-16-2014, 09:07 AM
Find More Posts by TorkRollN
United States, NJ, Bridgewater
Joined Jan 2006
356 Posts
BullSH*T. I have had dozens of DLE's and currently have 5 DA's. Only problem with the DLE 170 is the carbs are iffy. Put on a carb from a DA 170, maybe some bowman rings and I'd guarantee my DLE170 would out pull your DA. Granted it won't last forever but if you only afford to have one plane then by all means buy the DA.

That pretty much says it all..

Just buy a DA !
TorkRollN is offline Find More Posts by TorkRollN
Last edited by TorkRollN; 09-16-2014 at 09:12 AM. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 09-16-2014, 09:27 AM
Find More Posts by MaceH
DA rocks
Joined Jun 2011
1,078 Posts
Hysterical!!!

Yep, go get some junk, add real parts, and hey, its not junk anymore. Agreed!

I'd rather just have stuff that works...
MaceH is offline Find More Posts by MaceH
Old 09-16-2014, 09:39 AM View Post
terryscustom
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Trolling (Provocation). It is temporarily hidden while terryscustom edits it. Show it to me anyway.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:08 AM
Find More Posts by jj46
IMAC is not a computer.
United States, MN, Elk River
Joined Jul 2007
361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by terryscustom View Post
BullSH*T. I have had dozens of DLE's and currently have 5 DA's. Only problem with the DLE 170 is the carbs are iffy. Put on a carb from a DA 170, maybe some bowman rings and I'd guarantee my DLE170 would out pull your DA. Granted it won't last forever but if you only afford to have one plane then by all means buy the DA.

Yep. Here we go again. My DLE-170 (with stock carb, stock rings) starts easier, runs smoother, and transitions better than two ..other.. big twins that I've owned. The thing runs like a clock... a very powerful clock.

Not taking anything away from DA. We all know they make a nice engine, and I've owned five of them. However, $1895 for a DA with mufflers compared to $890 for a DLE with mufflers...

At the end of the day, thank god we have options and can all fly different engines, different servos, different color airplanes. Competition between brands is good for everyone.
jj46 is offline Find More Posts by jj46
Old 09-16-2014, 03:33 PM
Find More Posts by MaceH
DA rocks
Joined Jun 2011
1,078 Posts
Yup!
Old 09-18-2014, 11:15 PM
Find More Posts by GizmoMadMax
MadMax Engineer
United States, PA
Joined May 2008
504 Posts
Quote:
For sure!!!
It is just amazing that a weed eater or leaf blower only costs $140 at sears, yet us folks in the R/C hobby are getting reamed, Doh...
I mean, really, if a chinese sears leaf blower can be run FULL bore for years and only cost a few bucks and is a full operational machine, why the HECK does an R/C motor that is a single lousy item, that is NOT wrapped with a full machine, but yet that costs 9 times that from DA, or ZDZ or 3W, i mean really, come on manufacturers, quit shafting us.
The cost from DLE is still 3 times the cost, a DLE 30cc is $300.

Even the DLE is basically the leaf blower motor, and it only costs them maybe $50 for the motor, then shipping over seas, then sears profit, do you get what i am saying. Please don't tell me the chines sears motor quality is 50% less than a DLE, i mean, the r/c industry is charging 3 to 10 times the cost. Heck, i mean, a person with some patience may be able to take a sears leaf blower motor out of a new $140 sears leaf blower and adapt it to a plane, now that would be cheap.
brand new, with ignition for $140, of coarse, the only problem is the motor configuration and motor mounts and prop mounting.... but one of these days, an ingineous person may find a good motor like this and make up a kit and market it. Sure, it is the smaller scale planes from 20cc to 50cc

Sears makes a 50cc chain saw for $200
hey, on quite google, a 75cc husky is $560, so you know the motor costs $150.
http://www.leafblowersdirect.com/Hus...er/p10146.html

I myself have no desire to adapt this, but i bet there are some folks out there already doing this on this cheap
GizmoMadMax is offline Find More Posts by GizmoMadMax
Old 09-19-2014, 01:52 AM
Find More Posts by clivem
South Africa, KZN, Pietermaritzburg
Joined Nov 2009
1,012 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaceH View Post
Hysterical!!!

Yep, go get some junk, add real parts, and hey, its not junk anymore. Agreed!

I'd rather just have stuff that works...
LOL that is funny - i totally agree. seen plenty guys buy cheap and then spend more on better parts afterwards ...
clivem is offline Find More Posts by clivem
Old 09-19-2014, 10:21 PM
Find More Posts by Truckracer
Des Moines, Iowa USA
Joined Nov 2007
7,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clivem View Post
LOL that is funny - i totally agree. seen plenty guys buy cheap and then spend more on better parts afterwards ...
And I've seen plenty of people buy the premium brands only to spend more money to get them to run correctly. It cuts both ways! We're in an age when more money doesn't necessarily buy you the best of something while cheap sometimes IS the way to go.

I'm sure that big spending fan boys would feel differently though.
Truckracer is online now Find More Posts by Truckracer
Old 09-19-2014, 11:03 PM
Find More Posts by terryscustom
Wood Butcher
United States, SD, Harrisburg
Joined Jan 2007
9,971 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckracer View Post
And I've seen plenty of people buy the premium brands only to spend more money to get them to run correctly. It cuts both ways! We're in an age when more money doesn't necessarily buy you the best of something while cheap sometimes IS the way to go.

Hey Truck Racer, were you at the Huckfest in DesMoines (Ankeny) last weekend?? Just curious if I met you, we sure had a blast. Next year I hope you crank the thermostat up in IA just a bit though
terryscustom is offline Find More Posts by terryscustom
Old 09-19-2014, 11:06 PM
Find More Posts by GizmoMadMax
MadMax Engineer
United States, PA
Joined May 2008
504 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckracer View Post

In Contrast, i have a DA Fanboy bud i fly with, and he really believes that it costs the same if i purchase, say a DLE 85 & then have to buy a bowman ring and maybe bearings, really???

Well lets see, a DLE 85 = $550
Bowman Ring = $25
=======================
Total $574

If Bearings are needed $25+ = $600 (i see from the one thread, that bearings were a problem in 2008 & 2009, until DLE made improvements????)

vs. DA 85 $800 and NO muffler (mufflers are $170 to $180, so a DA85 is almost $1000, wow)

So a DLE is almost half price Hmmm, so the fuzzy math is not bad

http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/items/DLE85ENGINE.html
http://www.desertaircraft.com/engine...php?Page=DA-85
GizmoMadMax is offline Find More Posts by GizmoMadMax
Old 09-20-2014, 12:09 AM
Find More Posts by Truckracer
Des Moines, Iowa USA
Joined Nov 2007
7,492 Posts
Quote:
Hey Truck Racer, were you at the Huckfest in DesMoines (Ankeny) last weekend?? Just curious if I met you, we sure had a blast. Next year I hope you crank the thermostat up in IA just a bit though
Nope, wasn't there. Had a very busy week and just spent the weekend at a quiet field south of Des Moines. Just wasn't in the mood for a large crowd and needed some attitude adjustment time. Temps in the 80s this week. Doesn't it just figure .... a week late.
Truckracer is online now Find More Posts by Truckracer
Old 09-22-2014, 03:38 PM
Find More Posts by terryscustom
Wood Butcher
Joined Jan 2007
9,971 Posts
I guess someone can't handle honesty and reported my post.

Superfans rejoice......unsub.
terryscustom is offline Find More Posts by terryscustom
Last edited by terryscustom; 09-22-2014 at 03:43 PM.
Old 09-22-2014, 04:25 PM
Find More Posts by MaceH
DA rocks
Joined Jun 2011
1,078 Posts
Quote:
I guess someone can't handle honesty and reported my post.

Superfans rejoice......unsub.

Wasn't me. Everyone is welcome to their opinion.
Old 09-22-2014, 04:58 PM
Find More Posts by robbinsp
Joined Sep 2009
3,358 Posts
I never thought you posted anything that hasnt been mentioned before. Perhaps verbage varied. Half of the site content might as well be blocked then? Someone smarter than me will figure it out.
robbinsp is offline Find More Posts by robbinsp
Old 09-22-2014, 06:38 PM
Find More Posts by DA Support
Joined Aug 2014
41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoMadMax View Post
In Contrast, i have a DA Fanboy bud i fly with, and he really believes that it costs the same if i purchase, say a DLE 85 & then have to buy a bowman ring and maybe bearings, really???

Well lets see, a DLE 85 = $550
Bowman Ring = $25
=======================
Total $574

If Bearings are needed $25+ = $600 (i see from the one thread, that bearings were a problem in 2008 & 2009, until DLE made improvements????)

vs. DA 85 $800 and NO muffler (mufflers are $170 to $180, so a DA85 is almost $1000, wow)

So a DLE is almost half price Hmmm, so the fuzzy math is not bad

http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/items/DLE85ENGINE.html
http://www.desertaircraft.com/engine...php?Page=DA-85
The cost of an item has a lot to do with the number of units your going to sell. You cant compare a weed eater to a model airplane engine. It just costs more to produce a smaller amount of something than it does to produce 100,000 units. And the other thing is we are American and cant support our families or operate a business in the USA on a bowl of rice.
DA Support is offline Find More Posts by DA Support

Quick Reply