logo
Old 02-14-2011, 04:12 PM
Find More Posts by Dan5.0
Closed Account
Joined Oct 2008
55 Posts
Discussion
Telink YAK 55 available now in the U.S.A

Twisted Hobbys is now an official dealer for Telink aircrafts and is now carrying their Yak-55 and Su-29.

http://shop.twistedhobbys.com/Telink-Planes_c23.htm

I went with the Yak-55, here is the build.
  • In the box
  • Some of my tools, not shown is CA for the hinge tabs and hot glue.

• First I will trim the inside of the ailerons
  • I'll make my marks underneath, and mark 15mm/1.5cm
  • Then trim w/ a sharp hobby knife
  • Next you can trim 2 hinge tabs in half.
  • Then slit the inner and outer ends of the ailerons, so to slip the hinge tabs into. You will do this on both the fuse side and the wing tips of the ailerons.(4 slits)
  • Push them in until they are square...
  • ...then just a few drops of CA. Do this to all four hinges.
  • Now I will join the wings together using Welders, I ran a hefty bead on both pieces and even some extra in the thicker part of the wing.
  • I'll smear it with some scrap foam.
  • Next I will work in the Welders by sliding the two pieces together and puling apart, then let sit, and rejoin.
  • I will let this all sit & cure then it should be ready to work with in about half hour.
  • Then I can slot and spar, This will be done to both sides of the wing using the two largest CF rods. Your slot shot be 87mm/8.7cm from the leading edge center, and 46mm/4.6cm from the leading edge near the wing tips.
  • ...again w/ my fav. ,Welders. It looks like this is my glue of choice for this build.
  • Now I will install the aileron servos. I will slit for the two servo tabs and slit toward the center of the fuse for the wires.
  • Using very little hot glue (using rubbing alcohol and a q-tip you can remove hot glue from any material)
  • Wire routing
  • Installing the control horn: First position it so the eyelet lines up w/aileron hinge, then press to indent the placement. The teeth will leave your mark.
  • Moving the horn to the side make a small slit where your spike marks are. I then used hot glue then pushed the horn back in. Main wing is finished, now onto the fuse.
  • Starting with the fuse, I will glue the outer 3 fuse pieces in correspondence to the paint scheme.
  • I started with the canopy and trimmed from the ends.
  • Landing gear. I first test fit, hold next to fuse, to mark where the fiberglass plate will go. Remember lean this back slightly to angle your landing towards the front of the aircraft.
  • A slit for the fiberglass mount.
  • Insert mount and Welders glue both sides
  • Then Welders for the wood mount,
  • On both the foam and the wood. Then adhere to the fuse
  • Once you've glued in the wood plate and fiberglass plate, you can shove the wire LG through the wood slot. You may need to start the opening w/ a skinny hobby knife. Let cure.
  • The motor mount, I will be using Welders. I am just gluing the top of the mount, and leave the bottom for after we get the wing in through the fuse.
  • Remember not to get glue in these 4 notches on the motor mount. Your 4 fuse spars will be starting from this point.
  • The two upper fuse spars run down to the rear of the fuse. 60mm/6cm from the rear slot, and 10mm,1cm above it.
  • The upper fuse spars to the motor mount, and glue all in place. You should also have 2 small 7in spars left for the bottom of the motor mount. Slot for these holes, glue the spar in , *but do not glue it to the motor mount yet*
  • Theres a thin CF rod, you cut to spar the stab. Cut 2 pieces 18" long. Then mark 20mm/2cm from the hinge line on both sides. Once slotted glue them both in. You can also glue the wooden spar into the elevator at this time...
  • And then install elevator into the fuse and glue into placel. Using Welders and a little hotglue to hold things in place.
  • Also glue in the rudder assembly, make sure it stays centered .
  • Then the tail skid.
  • Now onto the rear servos. This is the elev. servo and control horn location.
  • Installed. Do the same for the rudder on the other side, except for the servo horn needs to face in the opposite direction(downward)
  • Now I can glue the main wing in using Welders.
  • Almost done!
  • Now we can install the wheels and wheel pants, but first you have to file down the burrs on the ends of the lg wire.
  • Then you can slip the wheel w/aluminum hub on the axle.
  • Now I will test fit and mark where I want my pants.
  • Slit along my mark and hot glue in. Make sure your not rubbing before final gluing.
  • Next I need to install the center of the wheel pants. Also hot glue and avoid any friction. I had to mount mine a little high...
  • ...so I trimmed it after.
  • My bonus add on. To complete the look of the lg I added some spare foam.
  • I cut 2 wedge pieces 5" long, and beveled the side that is meeting the fuse.
  • Also used hot glue.
  • I used wood screws for the motor. After going half way through I dropped a little CA on the threads.
  • Also put some on the rear side after snugging them up.
  • Now you can glue the rest of the motor mount and lower fuse spars. Now you can mount your RX and run all your wires. I slit the sides of the fuse and hid everything.
  • All finished. Right now I have velcro for the battery. Once I get a feel for her I will cut my battery slot to my sweet spot.
  • Here's where I routed all my wiring. Still debating if I'm going to hide the RX. Temporary bat. velcro.
Dan5.0 is offline Find More Posts by Dan5.0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 02-14-2011, 05:10 PM
Closed Account
Joined Oct 2008
55 Posts
Re: Telink YAK 55 available now in the U.S.A

Maiden to come ASAP, just waiting on this 35mph winds to die down
Old 02-14-2011, 07:31 PM
Find More Posts by GravityCheat
Flyin' Around
Joined Jan 2011
2 Posts

NIce job Dan.
GravityCheat is offline Find More Posts by GravityCheat
Old 02-14-2011, 07:33 PM
Closed Account
Joined Oct 2008
55 Posts

Thanks bro. I have to pick up a Suk now that they came in. I'll do build on that as well.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:42 PM
Find More Posts by michaelJH
Team Extreme!
High Prarie, Wa
Joined Mar 2010
810 Posts

Nice Job Dan! Those are great flying planes and you will really like them! I am glad that TH brought them to the US! Thanks guys!
michaelJH is offline Find More Posts by michaelJH
Old 02-14-2011, 08:08 PM
Find More Posts by hercdriver7777
Team Extreme, Team Twisted!
Columbia, SC
Joined Dec 2006
313 Posts

Great thread Dan! I will just piggyback my build thread with yours:

I am really excited that Twisted Hobbys is bringing these great planes into the US. These are some really bad@ss foamies and I cannot wait to get this new Yak 55 in the air.

I am running the exact combo that Twisted is selling and in this thread I will complete a build log, video and review of the plane.

Stay tuned!
---------

Flying day 1:

Guys, I burned a bunch of packs through this plane today and I am so pleased with it that this will be one of my keepers and it will go with me to every fly-in as long as it shall live! It really is one of those airplanes that is so well balanced in every area that every flight is so satisfying and enjoyable.

I don't even think that I am going to do an in depth review of the flight characteristics of this plane because, well, it will do anything you are capable of very easily (even tumbles).

The wing loading on this plane and the size is pretty close to perfect for the EPP and method of construction. It is exactly stiff enough. It is exactly light enough but not too light. The power system and servos are exactly right on with enough to go fast but not enough to destroy the plane in flight. Flight times are ridiculous!

I flew today with a variety of 2200 and 1800 packs in the location you can see in my photos. The CG is perfect with the 2200s (20-30C) and with the 1800s it is just a little aft. However, if you wanted to run 1800s or less all the time (and I dont plan on it) you could move the ESC forward.

Flight times on 2200s were 10-12 mins + and on 1800s about 8-10 mins.

I am running 50/50 degrees on the elevator and the rudder and ailerons maxed out. I added a but of expo to the elevator and rudder but that is all the mixing needed on this plane.

Now I'm going to put a gazillion flights on it and order some more batteries!
-------

Hey guys,

I talked with a few guys today about these planes and everyone who built, started building, got in the mail and/or flew them this weekend is absolutely blown away with them.

Personally I think the Yak is the best thing that's happened to EPP to date and I couldn't imagine another plane that would bridge the simulator to real world flying gap better.

I'm going to fly mine at an indoor event tomorrow night and I can't wait!
------
hercdriver7777 is offline Find More Posts by hercdriver7777
Old 02-15-2011, 09:43 AM
Find More Posts by brad65ford
WWW.TWISTEDHOBBYS.COM
Joined Sep 2008
100 Posts

Nice work guys on the builds, its great that these can be build a few different methods and glues with great results.
brad65ford is offline Find More Posts by brad65ford
Old 02-15-2011, 11:15 AM
Find More Posts by SleepyC
USA, OH, Aurora
Joined Jan 2006
30,070 Posts

There were several companies at the E-FEST selling a YAK 54 version of this plane for very reasonable prices.
Like $75 for the kit.
I believe 2dogs rc and another company.
They look nice in person!

SleepyC is offline Find More Posts by SleepyC
Old 02-15-2011, 11:34 AM
Closed Account
Joined Oct 2008
55 Posts

A mini version, the Telink is a 44in wingspan. I know 9in may not sound like much but its very noticeable, all the way around.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:37 AM
Find More Posts by danielph
Fly Extreme!
High Prairie, Washington
Joined Jul 2007
4,363 Posts

Chris, how did you get yours already? !!!
danielph is offline Find More Posts by danielph
Old 02-15-2011, 11:59 AM
Find More Posts by hercdriver7777
Team Extreme, Team Twisted!
Columbia, SC
Joined Dec 2006
313 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielph View Post
Chris, how did you get yours already? !!!
Ordered it from Twisted just like everyone else. I thought you were getting a Suk. Hurry up man, before they're gone!
hercdriver7777 is offline Find More Posts by hercdriver7777
Old 02-15-2011, 12:00 PM
Find More Posts by brad65ford
WWW.TWISTEDHOBBYS.COM
Joined Sep 2008
100 Posts

Daniel, we recieved our first shipment last week the second shipment can in yesterday. We now have all SU-29's and YaK-55's in stock. Chris is a building animal
brad65ford is offline Find More Posts by brad65ford
Last edited by brad65ford; 02-15-2011 at 12:13 PM.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:51 AM
Find More Posts by danielph
Fly Extreme!
High Prairie, Washington
Joined Jul 2007
4,363 Posts

Got mine on the way!
danielph is offline Find More Posts by danielph
Old 02-16-2011, 06:29 AM
Find More Posts by S.Dubai
U.A.E, Dubai
Joined Aug 2009
176 Posts

The Best foamie i flew ever
S.Dubai is offline Find More Posts by S.Dubai
Old 02-16-2011, 06:35 AM
Find More Posts by Azarr
Ohio
Joined Jan 2006
92 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyC View Post
There were several companies at the E-FEST selling a YAK 54 version of this plane for very reasonable prices.
Like $75 for the kit.
I believe 2dogs rc and another company.
They look nice in person!

The airfoil looks upside down at the tip. The Telink is on my must have list. Not sure which one yet.

Azarr
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr

Quick Reply