logo
Old 09-15-2019, 11:28 AM
Find More Posts by torquen
Lodi, Ca. USA
Joined Jan 2006
1,650 Posts
It’s best to just pick up the phone and call.
Graphtech is not going to stock every single gear they have molds for. Especially for older planes that are not even in production. It just does not make sense to have gear sit there the length of time it takes to hopefully sell.
Cst does a lot of business and Graphtech is a company Cst bought to try and keep people happy.
So plan ahead, give them a call, get gear ordered up and it will work out.
torquen is offline Find More Posts by torquen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 09-15-2019, 10:12 PM
Find More Posts by Threepete
United States, OH, Beavercreek
Joined Jul 2019
42 Posts
Thanks for the input...as I stated previously, I ordered the gear knowing it was custom. I planned well ahead, that's why I ordered it 6 weeks ago. My point was I've not had any emails returned and read many suggestions that this company has problems. I reached out to the members of FG to see if anyone had any contact at Graphtech in hopes of actually getting my gear at some point.
Threepete is offline Find More Posts by Threepete
Old 09-15-2019, 10:56 PM
Find More Posts by flyin4fun
Lancaster , PA
Joined Dec 2007
3,844 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threepete View Post
Thanks for the input...as I stated previously, I ordered the gear knowing it was custom. I planned well ahead, that's why I ordered it 6 weeks ago. My point was I've not had any emails returned and read many suggestions that this company has problems. I reached out to the members of FG to see if anyone had any contact at Graphtech in hopes of actually getting my gear at some point.
OMG.....there are no less that 4 post in this thread informing you to call.....CALL.....I would understand if you have a serious speech impediment... but if not, CALL if you are truly concerned.
Sorry in advance if this post upsets you but we are more and more getting into a text, email mindset where people seem to be scared to death to actually have a conversation with someone by mouth.
flyin4fun is offline Find More Posts by flyin4fun
Old 09-16-2019, 08:50 AM
Joined Jul 2019
42 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyin4fun View Post
OMG.....there are no less that 4 post in this thread informing you to call.....CALL.....I would understand if you have a serious speech impediment... but if not, CALL if you are truly concerned.
Sorry in advance if this post upsets you but we are more and more getting into a text, email mindset where people seem to be scared to death to actually have a conversation with someone by mouth.
You're incorrectly assuming I haven't talked to them. They told me on Aug 16th. the gear would be two more weeks. I also said I would call them on Monday (today). Thanks for telling me for at least the 5th time to call them, that was very helpful. One of the reasons to get an email about time frame is to have a paper trail for disputing the charge on my credit card. The reason for my original post titled "do you know anyone at Graphtech" was to see if any members knew anyone at Graphtech. I was hoping someone actually had the name of someone I could talk to because I've already been lied to by them and had no response from customer service via email, which is their suggested method of contact. One helpful member gave me the name of Andrew over the weekend. I will try to get an actual human on the phone today. Not trying to start a forum fight, just trying to keep things in perspective.
Old 09-30-2019, 08:27 PM
Joined Jul 2019
42 Posts
Graph tech landing gear update

After 8 weeks waiting for my custom gear this is what I got....see attached pics.
Old 09-30-2019, 09:00 PM
Find More Posts by Truckracer
Des Moines, Iowa USA
Joined Nov 2007
7,492 Posts
I guess you’re showing the quality of the finish? How is the quality of the gear overlooking the finish?

I’ve finished a number of carbon gear and it can be difficult as the weave of the carbon can trap mold release leading to fish eye like marks. That appears to be what you have there.
Truckracer is online now Find More Posts by Truckracer
Old 09-30-2019, 09:30 PM
Joined Jul 2019
42 Posts
I'm showing the lack of quality on the finish. 10 years ago I had my daughters car painted at Maaco. They tried to use a similar excuse but its fact that poor prep and contamination causes fish eyes in paint. This gear is heavily clear coated after it comes out of the mold and this is a garbage finish coat. Buyer beware!
Old 09-30-2019, 10:17 PM
Find More Posts by Hinckley Bill
Hinckley Illinois
Joined Jan 2006
2,992 Posts
Quote:
After 8 weeks waiting for my custom gear this is what I got....see attached pics.
Yeah I think I'd be asking for a refund for sure!
Hinckley Bill is offline Find More Posts by Hinckley Bill
Old 09-30-2019, 11:00 PM
Find More Posts by Truckracer
Des Moines, Iowa USA
Joined Nov 2007
7,492 Posts
If I received a gear like that and it was functional, I wouldn’t be happy about the finish but would probably just fix the finish myself and re-clear it. A complaint phone call would be in order but a return, probably not.
Truckracer is online now Find More Posts by Truckracer
Old 10-01-2019, 05:57 AM
Find More Posts by 74Ranch
United States, VA, Midlothian
Joined Sep 2013
442 Posts
I bought a GTS-117, a few weeks ago. it came last week, and it was on a special clearance price. the price was very good and have to say the finish was excellent. I would give them a call. I read these post after I ordered it and figured I was going play heck getting it, but after a few weeks it showed up and all & all I'm satisfied.
Tom
74Ranch is offline Find More Posts by 74Ranch
Old 10-01-2019, 09:19 AM
Joined Jul 2019
42 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckracer View Post
If I received a gear like that and it was functional, I wouldn’t be happy about the finish but would probably just fix the finish myself and re-clear it. A complaint phone call would be in order but a return, probably not.
I did consider fixing it but the craters are very deep in places and I'm concerned about the carbon fiber dust from sanding. I will be contacting them today.
Old 10-01-2019, 11:54 AM
Find More Posts by Dan767
That's at least a 9
United States, WA, Federal Way
Joined Jan 2006
2,854 Posts
Quote:
I did consider fixing it but the craters are very deep in places and I'm concerned about the carbon fiber dust from sanding. I will be contacting them today.
Wet sand them. Use a little dish soap with the water as a lubricant. The deepest imperfections will still be there, but you’re not breathing the dust.
Dan767 is offline Find More Posts by Dan767
Old 10-01-2019, 11:55 AM
Find More Posts by Carruthers43
United States, MD, Waldorf
Joined Aug 2010
1,552 Posts
Quote:
if you get carbon dust, you have gone too far anyway at that point... and you are concerned about carbon dust due to health reasons?? are you planning on snorting it??
Carruthers43 is offline Find More Posts by Carruthers43
Old 10-01-2019, 02:39 PM
Joined Jul 2019
42 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 74Ranch View Post
I bought a GTS-117, a few weeks ago. it came last week, and it was on a special clearance price. the price was very good and have to say the finish was excellent. I would give them a call. I read these post after I ordered it and figured I was going play heck getting it, but after a few weeks it showed up and all & all I'm satisfied.
Tom
That's great you were able to get a quality set in a short amount of time. You were lucky the clearance gear fit, it is already made up.

They are going to remake mine because one of the dimensions was incorrect as well. They were very nice about it but said their business is buried and the lead time would be very long. Oh well, winter is coming anyway. Overall, this has just been a bad experience.
Old 10-01-2019, 02:44 PM
Joined Jul 2019
42 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan767 View Post
Wet sand them. Use a little dish soap with the water as a lubricant. The deepest imperfections will still be there, but you’re not breathing the dust.
Thanks for the suggestion. Maybe I'll work on fixing them. Anyone want to buy some nice Yak landing gear?

Quick Reply