Old 07-20-2020, 08:24 PM
Find More Posts by Al T
Canada, BC, Victoria
Joined Aug 2015
7 Posts
Discussion
DLE 55Ra Which Carb Rebuild Kit

Hi Guys
Have a DLE55Ra on canister. Has some 250 plus flights on it and been running for a good 3 plus years or more. Up to 3 weeks ago it ran flawlessly. It has dead sticked on me a few times recently. Seems to die when it's on idle. Tried adjusting idle mix (richen it a bit) but no real improvement. This last incident I was setting up for a touch and go, noticed was idling high (lean) and not settling down to it's usual rpm. When I gave it a touch of throttle it died, which it does not do during run up or if I restart the motor. For some reason it's going lean at times. Figure it's got to be something that got into the carb. I was going to take it apart. I see the carb looks like a Walbro but is marked DLE. Has two sets of numbers on it, 16A11 and the other D0109 but does not appear to match any Walbro numbers. Tried looking up carb kits for DLE but all they have are replacement carbs. I recall something about the Walbro K20 WAT or D20 WAT kit contained the parts to rebuild the DLE55RA carb but now I cannot find the site that recommended that. Can anyone confirm that is the correct rebuild kit to get or if DLE carries a rebuild kit for the carb or some way to identify which kit it needs?

Thanks for any help that you can give.

Cheers
Al
Al T is offline Find More Posts by Al T
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 07-20-2020, 08:44 PM
Find More Posts by ForcesR
Joined Feb 2011
76 Posts
Al, DLE55RA uses rebuild kit K20 WAT.

Roger
ForcesR is offline Find More Posts by ForcesR
Old 07-20-2020, 09:34 PM
Find More Posts by Al T
Canada, BC, Victoria
Joined Aug 2015
7 Posts
Roger
Thank you. I will try and find a place here that carries it or do an online order tomorrow.

Cheers
Al
Al T is offline Find More Posts by Al T
Old 07-21-2020, 05:52 AM
Find More Posts by Motomazzo
United States, TX
Joined Nov 2019
2,354 Posts
Just a suggestion - but if I were in your shoes (and I’ve been there before), I would just buy a new, genuine Walbro carburetor. You’re already going to spend money on a rebuild kit. For $20-30 more, you could replace the DLE carb and be done with it. Nothing wrong with DLE carbs when they work. And given the good-running history of yours, it’s probably fine. But I’ve read many threads where the owner has pulled their hair out only to resolve the issue by replacing the DLE carb.

JAM
Motomazzo is offline Find More Posts by Motomazzo
Old 07-21-2020, 10:40 AM
Find More Posts by FGNewbie
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Mar 2010
6,421 Posts
add to that the more recent DLEs have gone to Walbro carbs so I suspect as time moves on kits for the DLE carbs will be harder to come by.
FGNewbie is online now Find More Posts by FGNewbie
Old 07-21-2020, 01:49 PM
Find More Posts by Truckracer
Des Moines, Iowa USA
Joined Nov 2007
7,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FGNewbie View Post
add to that the more recent DLEs have gone to Walbro carbs so I suspect as time moves on kits for the DLE carbs will be harder to come by.
The DLE clone carbs use the same Walbro kits. Many parts are interchangeable between a Walbro and clone carb. The exception being anything with threads where Walbro uses SAE threads and clones are metric. There were several generations of clone carbs and I always thought the later ones were actually made by Walbro but no way of knowing and it doesn’t really matter.

By the way, many people blast the clone carbs as being no good but recently I’ve had some really strange problems with a couple of Walbro carbs. So no carb is completely immune to problems and sometimes I think it’s just the luck of the draw what you get.
Truckracer is offline Find More Posts by Truckracer
Old 07-21-2020, 01:59 PM
Find More Posts by kork
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Nov 2011
1,054 Posts
new carb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomazzo View Post
Just a suggestion - but if I were in your shoes (and I’ve been there before), I would just buy a new, genuine Walbro carburetor. You’re already going to spend money on a rebuild kit. For $20-30 more, you could replace the DLE carb and be done with it. Nothing wrong with DLE carbs when they work. And given the good-running history of yours, it’s probably fine. But I’ve read many threads where the owner has pulled their hair out only to resolve the issue by replacing the DLE carb.

JAM
Completely agree with you. I battled a trustworthy dle 30 this summer and finally replaced with on from Valleyview and what a difference. The stock DLE carb was running the main jet at around 3/4 to 7/8 out and the replacement Walbro was around 2 turns out. I found there was much more fine tuning with the new Walbro. Since them I have them on two more dle's.
50 bucks with free shipping. you cant go wrong.
https://www.valleyviewrc.com/dle-55r...buretor-walbro
kork is offline Find More Posts by kork
Old 07-21-2020, 02:48 PM
Find More Posts by Texastbird
United States, TX, La Porte
Joined Oct 2008
1,343 Posts
First thing to do would be to check/replace the screen in the carb. Engine will run lean with the screen clogged up with crud.
Texastbird is offline Find More Posts by Texastbird
Old 07-21-2020, 08:16 PM
Find More Posts by Truckracer
Des Moines, Iowa USA
Joined Nov 2007
7,492 Posts
Wrong forum answer, on a gun forum also and got confused.
Truckracer is offline Find More Posts by Truckracer

Quick Reply