logo
Old 10-07-2019, 10:26 AM
Find More Posts by CarreraGTSCS
United States, NJ, Freehold
Joined Feb 2011
12 Posts
Discussion
Power Set Up for 1:3.3 scale DVIII

I'm trying to decide on power set up for a 1:3.3 scale Fokker DVIII. What I'm shooting for is the ability to turn a large prop as somewhat scale-ish speeds so big prop slower rpm's is the goal. A scale prop would be around 36" but anything 29" to 32" would do. I can go electric but once you go over 1/4 scale it gets really expensive really fast and the $$/minute in the air goes up rapidly. I've been all electric for almost three decades so gas/glow is sort of new to me. Watching my friends fly their 1/3rd models for 20 minutes per tank on gas at Rhinebeck last month got me interested in gas over glow. The EME 120 and DJ 125 look about right with regard to specs and the price certainly is right. I wish I'd given more attention to what engines were being used and asked questions there.

Any recommendations based on real use experiences would be welcome.
CarreraGTSCS is offline Find More Posts by CarreraGTSCS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 10-07-2019, 01:10 PM
Find More Posts by Flybye Steve
United States, MD, Parkton
Joined Jun 2008
1,194 Posts
One thing about these WWl planes is that they can carry a load of batteries producing better flight times and the battery weight is actually needed to balance the CG due to the short Nose.
It's true that the batteries are expensive compared to Gas but for each additional plane that you have that uses the same batteries, the cost goes down exponentially.
There are several electric motors available now that would make that plane perform very nicely.
Flybye Steve is online now Find More Posts by Flybye Steve
Old 10-09-2019, 02:04 PM
Joined Feb 2011
12 Posts
My 1/4 scale DVII, Nieuport 11 and Tigermoth are all electric. I use 8s 5000mAh in them. Flight times are 5 to 10 minutes of rather sedate flying. The DVII uses 2s2p (four 4s 5000 packs) just for the weight and endurance. Because pack life is always an issue and manufacturer veracity is questionable it is hard to know which packs to get that will last and deliver the promised power for more than just one season.

I want more air time and smoke so I'm going gas for the 1/3 DVIII. I'm leaning something like a G-62 with a Vogelsang or Mick Reeves belt drive.
Old 10-10-2019, 08:46 AM
Find More Posts by jharkin
United States, MA, Holliston
Joined Jul 2007
545 Posts
Please do not try and shoehorn a 120cc into that Fokker. Its NOT an aerobatic plane and that much power will probably rip the wing off in a dive if you are not careful. If not tear the firewall out.

This is an easy one - use a Zenoah G38 with the Toni Clark belt reduction. It will spin a 32x18 prop @ 2700... Very popular option in large scale WWI modelling and just right for your D.VIII.

https://www.aeroscale.shop/collections/geardrives/products/zenoah-zg38-geardrives

BTW, at 1:3.3 I think 36 is a bit too big. Most of them ran the same power setup as Dr.Is... a 110hp URII with a 2600x2300 axial prop.

2600mm/25.4 = 102in / 3.3 = 31in
jharkin is online now Find More Posts by jharkin
Last edited by jharkin; 10-10-2019 at 08:53 AM.
Old 10-10-2019, 03:21 PM
Joined Feb 2011
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jharkin View Post
Please do not try and shoehorn a 120cc into that Fokker. Its NOT an aerobatic plane and that much power will probably rip the wing off in a dive if you are not careful. If not tear the firewall out.

This is an easy one - use a Zenoah G38 with the Toni Clark belt reduction. It will spin a 32x18 prop @ 2700... Very popular option in large scale WWI modelling and just right for your D.VIII.

https://www.aeroscale.shop/collections/geardrives/products/zenoah-zg38-geardrives

BTW, at 1:3.3 I think 36 is a bit too big. Most of them ran the same power setup as Dr.Is... a 110hp URII with a 2600x2300 axial prop.

2600mm/25.4 = 102in / 3.3 = 31in
Great advice. I do agree that a 120 would be much more power than necessary but an EME 120 wouldn't need to be "shoehorned" in as the cowl is nearly 13" in diameter. I'm not too concerned with being overpowered as I fly my WW1 planes in a very scale manner. I'm certain that I've never used full throttle on either my 1/4 scale N11 or DVII (both of which are electric and not over powered by any means). Throttle management. The 120 was only ever my third choice for power anyway though. I'd prefer to make it electric but the questionable quality/longevity/high price of large capacity lipos nixed that.

Belt drive as you mentioned was my only viable option and I've found what I was really after from the start: G-62 with a Vogelsang belt reduction. The perfect size prop for this scale is 33-34" and this is exactly what this unit was designed for. It idles at 800rpm and goes 2900rpm full chat. It needs weight in the nose anyway so opting for the larger engine makes sense. I've seen this unit used on a few planes at Rhinebeck and it is impressive. What did you use in your Dr1?
Old 10-10-2019, 06:14 PM
Joined Feb 2011
12 Posts
Hmm, a bit red faced here. I was pretty excited to have found the Vogelsang drive for the DVIII but it just wont fit. The assembled drive system is too tall for the cowl. The system, even with the smaller G-38, is 9 1/2" from plug cap to propshaft centerline.

Very bummed about this.
Old 10-11-2019, 12:35 PM
Find More Posts by jharkin
United States, MA, Holliston
Joined Jul 2007
545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarreraGTSCS View Post
What did you use in your Dr1?

My Dr.I is 1:4 and Im using a DA35. Guys on RCScalebuilder gave me grief that was too big as the plane is flown on G26s a lot... and was originally designed for a G23. I had to modify the firewall to make it fit.

Its up to you buy I still think a G62 belt drive and 36inch prop is to big for 1:3.3. D.VIII... would you even have ground clearance? The flying razor is a pretty light and low drag plane by WWI standards.

For comparison, the Torrance 1:3 D.VII builds around 45lb and Glenn flew his 2011 Top Gun winning protype on a DA85 (ungeared). Del Johnsons 1:3 Triplane flew on a ZDZ80 twin IIRC.
jharkin is online now Find More Posts by jharkin

Quick Reply