logo
Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2019, 09:18 PM
Zeeb is offline
Find More Posts by Zeeb
Registered User
Zeeb's Avatar
United States, UT, St. George
Joined Feb 2006
4,549 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by les2097 View Post
Felt inside the gas can; auto paper on the gas can outside; ceramic inside fuel tank and gold one I bought from hobby shop for gas engines between
The fuel T and engine...

The screen was clogged with a sort of lightish brown substance...

I fly this plane 2 or 3 times a week...

Non ethanol fuel 87 octane...

Redline oil at 43:1...
There are LOTS of opinions on this question about filters in the tank. When I first went to gassers it was with ZDZ. ZDZ, or at least RC Showcase who was the importer/distributor, would void the engine warranty for any failure if there was a filter on the clunk line.

So I didn't..... Never have, don't intend to ever use a filtered clunk.

That said, I run ethanol free 91 octane (ZDZ's are higher compression and my DA-120 likes it as well) with Stihl Ultra at 40/1. ZDZ's like a bit more oil with the rotary disc intake system and the DA doesn't mind. I also always add a fuel preserver of one sort or the other. I'm currently using one that my garden shop recommended that claims to work for two years. While I do not really believe that, your nose will always tell you if you've got gas that's gone bad from sitting. Can you say "Varnish" smell?

In any event, it's worked for me so far and I don't fly the gassers much at all anymore. It's either electric or it burns Kerosene and that fuel, can present a whole 'nuther set of issues.... lol
Zeeb is offline Find More Posts by Zeeb
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old 07-09-2019, 09:21 PM
tande is offline
Find More Posts by tande
Registered User
tande's Avatar
United States, MI, Millington
Joined Sep 2008
1,590 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by les2097 View Post
I have replaced the carb filter and engine runs fine again...

BUT WHAT is clogging the filter... with four filters in my system from gas can to engine..,?
Just take the screen out & leave it out!......anything that gets past your other filters; the carb/engine will handle just fine!......been doing it this way for 15+ yrs.....zero issues......(& I don't have to disassemble the carb to clean that damn screen!) "Walbro" has no control over what conditions these carbs will be used & so they HAVE to provide a last/chance filter......yes, because of the "Metering/Needle" design, the fuel does need to be clean, BUT it can be filtered at other points.......
tande is offline Find More Posts by tande
Last edited by tande; 07-09-2019 at 09:41 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2019, 08:47 AM
les2097 is offline
Find More Posts by les2097
Registered User
les2097's Avatar
United States, LA, Lafayette
Joined Jan 2006
471 Posts
Hmmm take the screen out seems like the clog will then move to the needles... doesn’t seem like a good idea...

I WILL change where I buy my non ethanol fuel to see over time if this helps....

Thanks for all the help and advice...
les2097 is offline Find More Posts by les2097
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2019, 09:25 AM
closetguy is offline
Find More Posts by closetguy
Registered User
United States, OH, Berlin Heights
Joined Jul 2006
4,981 Posts
I would rather clean the screen then chase the gung thru the entire carb.
closetguy is offline Find More Posts by closetguy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2019, 10:36 AM
Truckracer is online now
Find More Posts by Truckracer
Registered User
Des Moines, Iowa USA
Joined Nov 2007
5,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by closetguy View Post
I would rather clean the screen then chase the gung thru the entire carb.
+1
Truckracer is online now Find More Posts by Truckracer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2019, 07:57 PM
J.Eanes is offline
Find More Posts by J.Eanes
retired aero engineer
J.Eanes's Avatar
United States, VA, Ridgeway
Joined Dec 2018
9 Posts
Fuel contaminates

Got to be the container.....residue from container
J.Eanes is offline Find More Posts by J.Eanes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2019, 08:06 PM
jamesrxx951 is offline
Find More Posts by jamesrxx951
Registered User
jamesrxx951's Avatar
Joined Jan 2009
10,550 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazx100 View Post
I use seafoam in my yard stuff and im using it in my plane fuel, I cant give any long time use info other than ive used about 3 gallons so far
I would highly recommend not using seafoam. For one thing it is alcohol based. You don't want alcohol in any engine let alone a 2 stroke engine. Of course seafoam in a diesel can be catastrophic.

I don't want to seem to rude but there is a reason most off the shelf fuel additives are called snake oil.
jamesrxx951 is offline Find More Posts by jamesrxx951
Last edited by jamesrxx951; 07-10-2019 at 08:11 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2019, 08:09 PM
jamesrxx951 is offline
Find More Posts by jamesrxx951
Registered User
jamesrxx951's Avatar
Joined Jan 2009
10,550 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckracer View Post
If this was a distillate like diesel fuel, a problem like this could be caused by a bacteria caused slime in the fuel. I’ve never heard of bacteria related problems in gasoline though. We use to have some fuel experts on here but I think they’re all gone now.
I have heard of it in gasoline. The reason behind it, I'm not sure but I have heard about it. Diesel is way more common. All my stored diesel fuel I keep at work I put in an algicide in it. And I cycle it once a year.
jamesrxx951 is offline Find More Posts by jamesrxx951
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2019, 10:29 PM
KMatch is online now
Find More Posts by KMatch
Registered User
KMatch's Avatar
United States, TX, Bay City
Joined Nov 2016
604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrxx951 View Post
I don't want to seem to rude but there is a reason most off the shelf fuel additives are called snake oil.
Sea Foam is the one and only additive I believe in. I still won't allow it within 100 foot of my planes. Simply no reason for anything other than good gas and oil. Keyword "good". When in doubt, kill some ants.
KMatch is online now Find More Posts by KMatch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2019, 05:06 AM
jamesrxx951 is offline
Find More Posts by jamesrxx951
Registered User
jamesrxx951's Avatar
Joined Jan 2009
10,550 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMatch View Post
Sea Foam is the one and only additive I believe in. I still won't allow it within 100 foot of my planes. Simply no reason for anything other than good gas and oil. Keyword "good". When in doubt, kill some ants.
It is snake oil. Gasoline has all the needed additives you need. Gasoline with E10 naturally cleans due to the ethanol in it. I used to have these sales people stop in where i work to try and sell me products like seafoam and other brands of additives. Once they were done I picked apart their "test" and "facts" where they had nothing left to say. When i worked for one of the big three, we had an additives discussion with someone for the diesel group. Seafoam was mentioned by name as to what damage it does to a fuel system. In fact the owner's manual could not name it by name but we used wording to describe it.

The real fun one was from Gulf. He even had some crazy setup on his car that said it improves MPG. That was an absolute blast to rip apart and when it came down to it, he had no idea how the whole thing worked.

When it comes down to it, manufacturers spend millions of dollars in engineering to just slightly improve MPGs and reliable products. If they can sell a "mechanic in a can" product they will. But with exception of diesel cetane additives, you don't see that. Now dealers get signed up for products like Gulf and the service writers will try and sell it as a manufacturer recommended service but have them show you in the owner's manual. You won't find it. And if you use a quality engine oil and change your oil on a correct interval, you won't have an oiling issue either. And no, not like are the same. Some are much better than others. In fact your best bet is sticking with a OEM brand oil. Manufacturers spend a ton of money on their engine development and oil is part of it. I spent several months talking to a oil analysis company owner that I knew to discuss different oils. When it came down to it, some of best oils were OEM like Motorcraft and Dexos. Even at the new 10,000 mile oil change intervals we see now, oils like these hold up extremely well where they still have full usable life to them after the 10,000. I sent him samples for a while including my personal vehicles to test.
jamesrxx951 is offline Find More Posts by jamesrxx951
Last edited by jamesrxx951; 07-11-2019 at 05:24 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2019, 06:27 AM
ghoffman is offline
Find More Posts by ghoffman
Registered User
ghoffman's Avatar
New Hampshire, USA
Joined Nov 2009
8,237 Posts
Did you filter the vent? When the engine is running, the vent is sucking and it is on the bottom of the plane where the dirt is being kicked up by the prop.
ghoffman is offline Find More Posts by ghoffman
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2019, 07:23 AM
les2097 is offline
Find More Posts by les2097
Registered User
les2097's Avatar
United States, LA, Lafayette
Joined Jan 2006
471 Posts
Hmmm I never thought about putting a filter on the vent line...

What do y’all think... a good idea...? Vent is connected to the tank which is double filtered... one in tank one on engine side of T...
les2097 is offline Find More Posts by les2097
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2019, 08:20 AM
ghoffman is offline
Find More Posts by ghoffman
Registered User
ghoffman's Avatar
New Hampshire, USA
Joined Nov 2009
8,237 Posts
What's the downside of a filter on the vent? I don't use any filters from clunk to carb, and the carb filter screen is always clean. See the little red filter in the upper left corner of the tank, that is my vent filter. Also, note all the flex lines are Viton, inside the tank and out. I got tired of changing the yellow or blue Tygon every year.
ghoffman is offline Find More Posts by ghoffman
Last edited by ghoffman; 07-11-2019 at 09:02 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message


Quick Reply
Message:


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools