logo
Old 09-18-2010, 12:47 AM
Find More Posts by dwalk
Flyin' Around
Levin, New Zealand
Joined Sep 2009
20 Posts
Re: Wanting to start pattern/imac in sportsman class,

4 weekends in a row of unflyable weather GRRrr. How do i get to practice with this crap weather. I won't be going to the norsewood event, the nats in January will be my intro to imac competition! i will catch up with the PN club on there aerobatics day soon, and i aim to catch up with the Kapiti guys as well, so i will get some practice in b4 then. heres hoping we get some good weather in the lower N.I. between now and xmas!

David
dwalk is offline Find More Posts by dwalk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 09-28-2010, 05:35 PM
GEJ
Find More Posts by GEJ
GEJ
New Zealand, Manawatu-Wanganui, Palmerston North
Joined Jan 2010
245 Posts

Hey David, hows the practice going lately? If all else fails, have you tried getting familiar with the routine on a sim?

Graham
GEJ is offline Find More Posts by GEJ
Old 09-28-2010, 11:51 PM
Find More Posts by dwalk
Flyin' Around
Levin, New Zealand
Joined Sep 2009
20 Posts

Hi Graham,

I haven't flown in 4 weeks! The weather has been horid, 2 weeks prior to that there was strong winds, 90 deg to our strip, I flew anyway then, but landing was interesting, no crash or nose over, but tricky. i don't own a sim yet so no practice there. I'm unfortunately going to miss Norsewood, no practice makes no fun I will make the nats, and possibly Tok, though 4-5hrs drive is a fair way. i will fly this weekend, and practice the routine with help from another club mate.

Cheers for the encouragement,

David
Old 10-03-2010, 02:16 AM
Find More Posts by hilli
Flyin' Around
Wellington
Joined Jun 2007
14 Posts

Congratultions Redleader on making it to the Norsewood IMAC. The organises said they would have a serior flyer help the basic flyers with their sequence and they were lucky enough to have Frazer Briggs provide this, a real treat.

Two great days of flying was had on a farm with snow covered ranges in the back ground in ideal conditions.
hilli is offline Find More Posts by hilli
Old 11-04-2010, 12:46 PM
Find More Posts by hilli
Flyin' Around
Wellington
Joined Jun 2007
14 Posts

Hi David,

How is practice going for your IMAC and the Nats. Having a flying strip 5 minutes a way and with day light saving now you should you should be able to get out in the evenings now, even though some of the weekends are still unflyable. Most of us have 1/2hr+ travel time to fly.

Also, if you are looking at IMAC basic, you should be considering Pattern sportsman as well to make the Nats worth while. You can use the same plane for both.

Cheers
hilli is offline Find More Posts by hilli
Old 11-05-2010, 12:24 AM
Find More Posts by dwalk
Flyin' Around
Levin, New Zealand
Joined Sep 2009
20 Posts

Hi hilli,

I have flown the pattern about 4 times total, then my OS 91FSII broke a valve spring, and there were no parts available in NZ or Aus, so my Valve springs are on the way from Tower hobbies, and also some new SS bearings from Rc-bearings.com I was told 2-3 weeks for freight, unless i paid $50 usd for fast freight. I decided that was uneconomic on $2.99 usd parts!

i have a 40 size Super Chipmonk almost flying, so look forward to being airborne again soon.

When i am airborne again, i will be in touch, and try to catch up for some practice and tips

David
Old 11-09-2010, 09:26 PM
Find More Posts by SiMel Pilot
Simple
Joined Nov 2010
4 Posts

Hi David, sent you a message directly I think.lol. when you are out at Pnth aeroneers club let yourself be known, we all keen to help each other. Cheers Simon
SiMel Pilot is offline Find More Posts by SiMel Pilot
Old 11-27-2010, 01:33 AM
GEJ
Find More Posts by GEJ
GEJ
Joined Jan 2010
245 Posts

Hi David, hows the practise going?
Old 11-27-2010, 03:14 PM
Find More Posts by dwalk
Flyin' Around
Levin, New Zealand
Joined Sep 2009
20 Posts

I've got my plane in the air this morning, for the 1st time in 4 weeks. I have replaced the broken valve springs (3 weeks to get to me from tower) and replaced the bearings as well in the os 91. 1st flight will be a shake down of the motor. after that imac basic practice. Haven't had much practice so far, need much more time at the sticks!
Old 01-11-2011, 11:47 PM
Find More Posts by dwalk
Flyin' Around
Levin, New Zealand
Joined Sep 2009
20 Posts

Hi All,

As an update i have printed out and laminated the 2011 IMAC basic schedule, and have started flying and practising it. I'm making lots of mistakes, and are having trouble exiting manouvers without climbing ( i hold the elevator too long). I just need to do more practice! Each time i'm out flying i am practicing, mostly parts of it, with the occasional attempt at flying it right through.

I was at the nats, and flew on the rally day, and watched 1/2 of the 1st imac day. Was good to put some faces to the names.

But when and where is the next imac comp??? I can't find and info on the nz site.

Happy new year

David
Old 01-11-2011, 11:57 PM
Find More Posts by Judge
Team Futaba
United States, CA, Ladera Ranch
Joined Jan 2006
11,288 Posts

Try a nice smooth pull to exit rather than a harder, sharper pull. Gives you plenty of time to anticipate when to hit level flight.
Judge is offline Find More Posts by Judge
Old 01-12-2011, 01:09 AM
Find More Posts by Wormz
Doo It! Doo It!
New Zealand
Joined Jan 2010
138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwalk View Post
Hi All,

As an update i have printed out and laminated the 2011 IMAC basic schedule, and have started flying and practising it. I'm making lots of mistakes, and are having trouble exiting manouvers without climbing ( i hold the elevator too long). I just need to do more practice! Each time i'm out flying i am practicing, mostly parts of it, with the occasional attempt at flying it right through.

I was at the nats, and flew on the rally day, and watched 1/2 of the 1st imac day. Was good to put some faces to the names.

But when and where is the next imac comp??? I can't find and info on the nz site.

Happy new year

David
Hi David the next comp is the main event for the year the NZ rumble FEB 17- 20 this is a huge event for NZ with 50 entrys... If you need help with basic send me a personal message and we can help you out there are a lot of pilots down this end of the country to lend a hand and give advice to you if you want.

Take care Hamish Galloway
Wormz is offline Find More Posts by Wormz
Old 01-12-2011, 07:51 AM
Find More Posts by McFueler
Claremont NC USA
Joined Jun 2006
3,225 Posts

David another tip is to add throttle while in the exit radius,,,,,, if you wait until you are already on the level line before hitting the throttle you will be up and down. Just give that a try .
McFueler is offline Find More Posts by McFueler
Old 03-23-2011, 02:55 PM
GEJ
Find More Posts by GEJ
GEJ
Joined Jan 2010
245 Posts
Hi David, PN Aeroneers are having club aerobatics this weekend if you're keen to come up.

cheers, Graham
Old 03-23-2011, 03:06 PM
Find More Posts by Mithrandir
TEAM FUTABA
High Desert California, USA
Joined Jan 2006
7,929 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
Try a nice smooth pull to exit rather than a harder, sharper pull. Gives you plenty of time to anticipate when to hit level flight.
Prolly the judges see everything... but during the pullout is when I will do little baby adjustments to leveling wings and adjusting heading.... seems less noticeable than once quasi-level flight has been established....
Mithrandir is offline Find More Posts by Mithrandir

Quick Reply