logo
Old 01-30-2019, 10:10 PM
Find More Posts by acerc
United States, FL, Center Hill
Joined Jul 2014
1,989 Posts
I did not get a gap, it was built in. The gap is because the wing tube sleeve's are not oriented properly. I did not use the tube initially for assembling the strut attachments and the wing butted tight. It was not until assembling it with the tube and moving it to the floor I noticed the gap. And yes, I know the struts go outside of the wing tabs.
I put the wing together on the table with the tube in, with the center of the wing (T/E) against me I could flex the wing tips nearly closing up the gap. The sleeve's are only off a 1/4 or less but it's enough to be off at the wing tips.
acerc is offline Find More Posts by acerc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 01-30-2019, 10:43 PM
Find More Posts by astrohog
movin' on
Bellingham, WA
Joined Jul 2007
2,122 Posts
As far as your wing incidences go, I know that if I do not get the flying wires tensioned right, it is very easy to introduce "warp" into the wings. This was my first Biplane with flying wires and it took me some time to get the feel for correct tension of the flying wires.

As far as the wing gap, I would fly it like it is and see if things "settle in" a bit after a couple of flights. That gap is really pretty small and won't affect the structural integrity or flying characteristics in the least. With all of the attachment points for the inboard and outboard struts and the fact that they are attached to wood with steel nuts and bolts, there is a lot of room for "give" as things take flight loads and have a chance to "seat".

I've been flying my Ultimate for six years and absolutely LOVE it!!! I'm sure you will love yours as well!

Regards,

Astro
astrohog is offline Find More Posts by astrohog
Old 01-30-2019, 10:43 PM
Find More Posts by acerc
Joined Jul 2014
1,989 Posts
After that last post I got to thinking about just how minute the amount the sleeve would be off and may be able to just sand the wing tube to get the amount of movement needed. It should not be enough to cause any issue with in flight strength. I'll look into it tomorrow.
Old 01-30-2019, 11:00 PM
movin' on
Bellingham, WA
Joined Jul 2007
2,122 Posts
Before you go sanding it, just fly it. I think the wing tube sleeve is made of cardboard. The cardboard will compress just a hair during your first couple flights and you might just find that small gap disappears. If not, you can always sand later.

Astro
Old 01-31-2019, 08:19 AM
Find More Posts by acerc
Joined Jul 2014
1,989 Posts
I do plan on flying it before I do anything, just thinking of ways to maybe fix it if need be.
Last edited by acerc; 01-31-2019 at 10:19 AM.
Old 01-31-2019, 03:24 PM
Find More Posts by Tseres
Elwood In.
Joined Jun 2009
3,483 Posts
I would not sand the tube if I didn't have to. Check the wing off of the plane with the tube installed and see if the wing is straight when you lay it on a flat table. If you end up with an even gap then your tube may be to long. Cutting the end of the tube the gap amount may be your answer. Don't try to squeeze the wings together if you have a gap. You don't want to knock the tube stops out. I find it hard to believe the factory glued the sleeve in crocked. Although it's not impossible.
Tseres is offline Find More Posts by Tseres
Old 01-31-2019, 03:43 PM
Find More Posts by sweetpea
If you can't HUCK it BLING IT!
United States, OH, Lebanon
Joined Jan 2006
11,141 Posts
And before I sanded the tube or sleeve, I'd probably just use some balsa sheeting to flush the root of the wing to the cabane. If your incidence is still off after a couple flights and the gap is still there you could do that and the flying wire tension adjustments to get the right incidence. Shortening the tube just a hair though would be my first step after a couple flights (they might be your issue).

Biplane setup is why most folks don't fly them in IMAC. Its easy to tweak your setup/incidence when you have 2 wings and flying wires...just means more parts that can "adjust". It won't "crash" your plane or may make it unflyable with the incidence you reported, but if you do the Goldberg setup for IMAC on your plane and things are a little off everytime you fly it makes it harder to be consistent to the gnats ass you need to be for 10's. But for an everyday flyer I doubt you'd notice much once you trim it for flight and coupling issues that Bipes tend to always have in general.
sweetpea is offline Find More Posts by sweetpea
Old 01-31-2019, 04:07 PM
Find More Posts by acerc
Joined Jul 2014
1,989 Posts
Already checked the tube length as there were two different lengths for the kit, it is not to long. And I did the wing halves together with the tube on the table already, it is out of alignment. Question is which method will I go with to get it squared. I was also thinking the sleeve is in foam and maybe after a few flights the foam will compress a little with the tension of the wing bolts.
Old 02-02-2019, 04:45 PM
Find More Posts by acerc
Joined Jul 2014
1,989 Posts
Well the day finally came, got to the field with the Ultimate this morning and commenced assembly. The first time took a little time and noticed some changes that can be made for quicker assembly. Now that it is together I fueled it up, checked the batteries, and rolled it out to the start line. Once fired up I checked the throw directions, adjusted the idle a little, took a deep breath, and began the taxi to the runway. I am a bit nervous and expecting the worst but here I go, slowly advance the throttle and realize the tailwheel springs are nearly useless and thinking oh yea this is going to suck. But 50-100 feet down the tarmac and it gently lifted with a very light roll to the left and a slight nose up attitude. Got it up to some altitude and commenced to input some trim, the ailerons only took 3 click's and the elevator was five. But that is very minimal as I set my radio where trim is single step, not the typical four they come with. Flew a couple circles verifying trim then went into a inverted pass for a balance check. It had just a slight toward the ground movement but would take some time to have any real affect. So then I went into a slow climb, it went straight and clean, came around and did an inverted climb and straight and clean with exception to the slight downward. So I am going to say it is trimmed and balanced and landed for some fuel. Next time up I did a few loop's, roll's, a Cuban eight, a couple immelman's, a couple long slow Aerobatic turns, and it held it's line like a professional throughout the entire flight.
Also, the wing gap was less on the final flight of the day compared to the first, as I had to tighten the rear canopy bolt up as well as remove the shim. So another day or two of flying it should be a tight fit.
I was expecting the day to end with it in a bag so to say I am impressed is an understatement. But I am and I look forward to many enjoyable flights with my new bird.
Old 02-02-2019, 07:24 PM
movin' on
Bellingham, WA
Joined Jul 2007
2,122 Posts
Congratulations on the successful maiden!

I am sure you will have many enjoyable flights in the future!

In order to keep the airplane universe in alignment, sadly, I delivered my Beloved, six year-old Ultimate to its new owner today...…..

However, I still have one of the original PAU/BME Ultimates that will now get a bit of TLC and will see some airtime this flying season!

Regards,

Astrohog
Old 02-03-2019, 05:29 PM
Find More Posts by acerc
Joined Jul 2014
1,989 Posts
Thanks Astro.
Another day well spent, got several more flights today.
Once home I changed out the tailwheel springs with cable, tightening them yesterday did no good, and a couple other things but to minor to mention. Now I am going to get the spinner cut, fitted, balanced, and put it back in the trailer.
Old 02-03-2019, 09:18 PM
Find More Posts by flying skunks
FFAA for Life
Flying with the Best of Friends
Joined May 2006
19,298 Posts
I gotta ask , is that Ocala ? And are you going to the event in Deland on Saturday?
flying skunks is offline Find More Posts by flying skunks
Old 02-03-2019, 09:28 PM
FFAA for Life
Joined May 2006
19,298 Posts
As far as tail wheel springs , I have to show you the glow fuel tubing trick ..works Much better , and doesn't chafe up the rudder from rubbing on it
Old 02-03-2019, 09:58 PM
Find More Posts by acerc
Joined Jul 2014
1,989 Posts
Why yes, it is Ocala. What is going on in Deland Saturday?
And this is how I did the tailwheel.
Last edited by acerc; 02-03-2019 at 10:18 PM.
Old 02-04-2019, 06:47 AM
FFAA for Life
Joined May 2006
19,298 Posts
Deland Airfest ..
I will have to get out to the trailer and take a picture for you . You use two small pieces of glow fuel tubing and a few zip ties..works Great and has a little " spring " in it , easy to adjust

Quick Reply