logo
Old 01-15-2018, 11:17 PM
Find More Posts by Ryan Cartmell
Canada, AB, Airdrie
Joined Jan 2015
182 Posts
I find that after practicing for so long with little to show for it I need a distraction. I'm not really a drone or multi rotor pilot, but did purchase a larger aerobatic multirotor just to mix things up. It has created a new learning curve that is totally different from fixed wing. Some days I'll just throw it in the van with a handful of batteries and change it up. When I do take my gassers out the field I feel reenergized and able to enjoy practicing harder again on those 3D and IMAC maneuvers.
Ryan Cartmell is offline Find More Posts by Ryan Cartmell
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 01-15-2018, 11:38 PM
Find More Posts by ragersdiary
United States, WA, Yakima
Joined Mar 2013
111 Posts
I day dream sometimes about airplanes, and I'll imagine certain maneuvers happening very slowly that I can get the grasp of them, or imagine maneuvers with an opposite rotation. This helped me get the grasp of rolling harriers and circles.

Another thing that I found helpful was to break down a maneuver, for me when I was learning rolling circles I learned to do them first with just elevator and a slow roll rate, gradually I added rudder until I was confident, and then from there I upped the roll rate.

Finally for me personally, and this might be the hardest or most melancholy tip out there, I'm not attached to my planes the way I used to be, this has become more of a secondary hobby. I don't try to crash my airplanes, but I wouldn't be terribly upset if I did, just more frustrated that I couldn't then try to sell/trade the plane.
ragersdiary is offline Find More Posts by ragersdiary
Old 01-15-2018, 11:47 PM
Find More Posts by terryscustom
Wood Butcher
United States, SD, Harrisburg
Joined Jan 2007
9,971 Posts
Fly a Variety. Precision, 3D, warbirds, and scale can all be flown in different interesting ways to keep things exciting.
terryscustom is offline Find More Posts by terryscustom
Old 01-16-2018, 07:33 AM
Find More Posts by sensei
Super Weight Freak
San Antonio Texas
Joined Nov 2006
3,715 Posts
How do you practice when you have reached a plateau, forget about the regiment of practice for a while and just go out and have fun.

Bob
sensei is offline Find More Posts by sensei
Old 01-16-2018, 10:26 AM
Find More Posts by N233W
I Feel the Light and the Heat
NorCal, East Bay
Joined Feb 2009
482 Posts
My #1 suggestion of how to get out of a rut is practice a competitive discipline. I do pattern, but of course there's IMAC, etc., for RC. I haven't heard of many freestyle or 3D competitions, but you can study the masters of this discipline on YouTube and copy their routines.

#2. Buy a cheap RC helicopter you can fly indoors.

#3. Practice in your head. Time and budget constraints limit my flying time to zero for around 6 months, and I don't have time to fly the sim much. So I fly pattern aerobatics in my head as I'm falling asleep or a frew minutes mins with a stick model.

I use practicing in my head- that is, imagine the airplane in the sky and what stick movements you're doing - for learning correct stick inputs on challenging maneuvers. A good challenge is to imagine flying a straight slow roll, using correct control inputs. (First I start with a 2 pt, then a 4 pt. roll, then a slow roll). Then go try it on the sim and see if it makes a difference.
N233W is offline Find More Posts by N233W
Old 01-16-2018, 11:20 AM
Find More Posts by Keith Cannon
Only Amateurs Measure First
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Apr 2016
1,389 Posts
Try to fly the plane in a different style. For example I am trying to get rudder skills down so I am practicing some 3D. You might try practicing some traditional aerobatics to push your brain into thinking a different way and then go back to 3D.

Colton I think hit the nail on the head, you have to keep changing things up, and a Trainer causes you to think radically different.
Keith Cannon is offline Find More Posts by Keith Cannon

Quick Reply