Old 04-08-2019, 10:34 AM
Find More Posts by wmat7039
SILVER FOX
Acworth GA
Joined Jan 2006
2,227 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey View Post
I'm not complaining, they were very up front that Florida Jets would be a long shot. I'd be fine if I hadn't seen it in Jase's hands, that just made the waiting all the worse
Hope you get it soon. I never realized how this segment of Model aviation is so amazing and addictive!
wmat7039 is offline Find More Posts by wmat7039
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 04-08-2019, 01:35 PM
Find More Posts by Vapor Trails
Team NoSleep
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Dec 2008
2,220 Posts
That is a sharp looking Futura!
Vapor Trails is offline Find More Posts by Vapor Trails
Old 04-09-2019, 12:14 PM
Find More Posts by ghoffman
New Hampshire, USA
Joined Nov 2009
7,769 Posts
Now you have me thinking about jets. Seems like alot of guys around here have Boomerangs, but that is just not my cup of tea, nor would a giant Leonardo at the other end of the scale. Any recommendations for a starting plane that won't be boring after a short time?
ghoffman is offline Find More Posts by ghoffman
Old 04-09-2019, 01:40 PM
Find More Posts by BarracudaHockey
Multi Platform Pilot
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Dec 2007
9,514 Posts
If you want scale but not military (close gear making landings more exciting) then any of the Viper jets are a good choice because they have a wide speed envelope and wide main gear stance as is the MB-339. Pick a size based on available field size, transport availability, and of course budget.

Sport jets there a several, Avanti, Turbinator, DV8R, T1, Havoc GTS all fly well and can be mastered by anyone with high performance experience (big warbids are probably the best primer IMO)

Be warned my friend, its a slippery slope down the jet rabbit hole once you get started
BarracudaHockey is offline Find More Posts by BarracudaHockey
Old 04-09-2019, 01:55 PM
Find More Posts by Vapor Trails
Team NoSleep
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Dec 2008
2,220 Posts
For something different, I really like the lines of the new SAB Avio jets.
Vapor Trails is offline Find More Posts by Vapor Trails
Old 04-09-2019, 01:58 PM
Multi Platform Pilot
Joined Dec 2007
9,514 Posts
yea, not sure if that would be my first stop for a turbine newb though.

They are cool looking for sure and made by the same folks that made my little Viper Jet which is a very nice airframe
Old 04-09-2019, 03:30 PM
Find More Posts by ghoffman
New Hampshire, USA
Joined Nov 2009
7,769 Posts
When I go watch the jet guys around here (with a few exceptions) all they do is fly in circles. No KE, not even Basic IMAC type maneuvers. That is not something I am interested in.
ghoffman is offline Find More Posts by ghoffman
Old 04-09-2019, 05:03 PM
Multi Platform Pilot
Joined Dec 2007
9,514 Posts
Be a trend setter then
Old 04-09-2019, 05:07 PM
Find More Posts by Zeeb
United States, UT, Highland
Joined Feb 2006
4,367 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghoffman View Post
When I go watch the jet guys around here (with a few exceptions) all they do is fly in circles. No KE, not even Basic IMAC type maneuvers. That is not something I am interested in.
That has more to do with pilot skill than it does airframe performance. Even tho you may have done lots of KE's with piston power, the first time you stand a turbine on one wing, you WILL experience pucker factor.....

Almost any of the turbines will do almost any of the maneuvers, take a look at last year's Red Flag videos. Then go to the Free Style videos and watch those guys really spank those turbines, they will do it all.
Zeeb is offline Find More Posts by Zeeb
Old 04-09-2019, 05:10 PM
Find More Posts by Zeeb
United States, UT, Highland
Joined Feb 2006
4,367 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmat7039 View Post
Great news Matt. Looking forward to seeing you at the Jet Nats in June.

I also saw that the other Matt (Balazs), maidened his ME262 last Saturday. It went well and we may see this beast flying in the Scale class at the Jet Nats.
That's a really nice Messerschmitt, but who's the ugly guy holding it?????
Zeeb is offline Find More Posts by Zeeb
Old 04-09-2019, 05:30 PM
Find More Posts by camss69
DDD
Joined Dec 2006
1,629 Posts
Quote:
I just recently got into turbine jets with the same concern. I’m primarily a giant scale 3D pilot and really got into jets to learn something new. We only have one other turbine pilot at our field and he basically flys the pattern. So I bought a T-1 Mini with a K85 and I’m out there doing IMAC style aerobatics with it no problem. Our field is on the shorter side, 400’ which is a bit marginal for jet operations but after I got used to it I only need 200’ really. There’s no pucker factor for me for KE or any of the other aerobatics I can do with it but landing on the short runway was pretty exciting the first 10 times or so. So far it’s still pretty exciting every time I take it up. I’m already looking for my next jet, maybe a T-1 because the mini gets pretty small really fast and then maybe something scale after that. I’m hoping we can get a couple more guys flying turbines at our field.
camss69 is online now Find More Posts by camss69
Old 04-09-2019, 06:22 PM
SILVER FOX
Acworth GA
Joined Jan 2006
2,227 Posts
Quote:
As mentioned above by Zeeb..... There is a lot that pilots from different disciplines can bring into jets that will help them to attain a solid footing quickly.

For me the transition was relatively easy. One main reason, was the help that I got here on this forum and also from several jet pilots who exercised a lot of patience in answering my questions, which were basic for them...but absolutely new for me.

What gives us joy!!?? I was tired of all the administration work, writing sequences, teaching Judging Schools and I wanted to do something different and exciting. Flying jets catered to those needs. As I mentioned before, the technological advances and whopping amount of new things to learn made this move happen at the right time.

What I learned in flying aerobatics I utilized flying the Leonardo. The only thing that I never learned quickly enough, was to recognize how slow this plane could be flown and when she let go....she let go!!

This video was filmed on August 19, 2018 after 25 flights with jets.
Wayne Checking Out The Leo (6 min 30 sec)

Skip the first 2 minutes as it was the startup process. I honestly don't think you will be bored at all with flying jets.
Wayne
Old 04-09-2019, 06:34 PM
SILVER FOX
Acworth GA
Joined Jan 2006
2,227 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeb View Post
That's a really nice Messerschmitt, but who's the ugly guy holding it?????
Some "rebel" up in North Carolina!!
Old 04-10-2019, 08:36 AM
Find More Posts by Carruthers43
United States, MD, Waldorf
Joined Aug 2010
1,438 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmat7039 View Post
As mentioned above by Zeeb..... There is a lot that pilots from different disciplines can bring into jets that will help them to attain a solid footing quickly.

For me the transition was relatively easy. One main reason, was the help that I got here on this forum and also from several jet pilots who exercised a lot of patience in answering my questions, which were basic for them...but absolutely new for me.

What gives us joy!!?? I was tired of all the administration work, writing sequences, teaching Judging Schools and I wanted to do something different and exciting. Flying jets catered to those needs. As I mentioned before, the technological advances and whopping amount of new things to learn made this move happen at the right time.

What I learned in flying aerobatics I utilized flying the Leonardo. The only thing that I never learned quickly enough, was to recognize how slow this plane could be flown and when she let go....she let go!!

This video was filmed on August 19, 2018 after 25 flights with jets.
Wayne Checking Out The Leo (6 min 30 sec)

Skip the first 2 minutes as it was the startup process. I honestly don't think you will be bored at all with flying jets.
Wayne
I totally support and agree with Wayne here... I was looking for something different... I didnít have the time or money to dedicate to being competitive in the upper classes of iMac any longer. I still love precision flying. I ended up with a steal on my futura so I took the leap and being that I got it from a pattern pilot I learned a lot. The jet is not set up like a typical jet, it is set up like an iMac or pattern plane and trimmed as such. Also what a rush! Nothing like the sound and feel when you push the throttle forward!

Lastly nothing beats not flipping a prop haha!
Carruthers43 is offline Find More Posts by Carruthers43
Old 04-11-2019, 07:54 AM
SILVER FOX
Acworth GA
Joined Jan 2006
2,227 Posts
There is a little progress on my stabs and this design will technically be carried forward to the wings and enlarged. Primo had some family time away from home and that takes precedence. I fully understand that. I like the design that he came up with! Thanks Primo!!

My good friend, Craig (Baker) is just about ready to maiden his Leonardo. Yesterday we discussed using the Setup Assistant on the PowerBox Mercury and it went through smoothly for him. Two days before that, he fired up his brand new KT210 and it also went through without any hitches. It does instill some portion of confidence when the "lead up" to a maiden is solid.

Craig balanced the Leo at 30.5cm from the wing's leading edge at the root, and I will be borrowing his template to do the same balancing with mine. Craig is all fired up to maiden his Leo and it may happen this weekend if the weather holds. If not, he will come down to my field (CMJ in Roberta GA) and meet up with another friend (Glen Shepherd) who is planning on driving in from Texas with his Leo to practice for the upcoming F3S Jet Nationals.

Quick Reply