logo
Old Yesterday, 08:01 AM
Find More Posts by wmat7039
SILVER FOX
Acworth GA
Joined Jan 2006
2,227 Posts
Just like last year, I'm in deep dive mode for the upcoming Joe Nall event at Triple Tree in SC. I'm up to my neck in embroidery and the next 3 weeks are focused on that. Hopefully, the weather will be congenial this time around. I've been doing the embroidery for the Joe Nall, for the past 22 years (this will be the 23rd) and last year was the first time in all those years that it was canceled.

In the meantime, Primo has finished the back end, stabs included, and will progress to the wings this weekend. The rain may put a damper on the spraying tonight (humidity) but he will work on the taping out of the wings. After seeing the photos last night, I'm beginning to wonder if I want to fly this baby or just carry it to the field and assemble it!! GREAT JOB, Primo!!

In other news, Craig Baker did the maiden flight on his Leonardo last weekend. He had a total of 3 flights and he never had to click any trims at all after take-off... He was just amazed at how well his Leo flew. My adrenaline is churning just talking about it!! Using the PowerBox Mercury's "Flight Assistant" he had no issues fine tuning the gyro in-flight.

Well.... back to work...I hear the machines calling.
W
wmat7039 is offline Find More Posts by wmat7039
Last edited by wmat7039; Yesterday at 08:11 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 08:33 AM
Find More Posts by aalfawaz
United States, IA, Iowa City
Joined Oct 2015
1,080 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghoffman View Post
Now you have me thinking about jets. Seems like alot of guys around here have Boomerangs, but that is just not my cup of tea, nor would a giant Leonardo at the other end of the scale. Any recommendations for a starting plane that won't be boring after a short time?
I started with a TopRC odyssey. It is a sports jet but has very low wing loading which makes it very easy to fly (LAND) when they say jet easier to fly they probably mean easier to land. It is not the most expensive jet out there which is a plus for a first jet. Moreover it is big for what it cost to buy you won't find any other jet in the same size for the same price. Quality is good but needs some improvements that you could do during your build. The best decision I have ever made is skip the boomerang step.

This is flight number 10 (ever on a turbine)

TopRC Odyssey (4 min 42 sec)
aalfawaz is online now Find More Posts by aalfawaz
Old Yesterday, 08:35 AM
Joined Oct 2015
1,080 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeb View Post
That has more to do with pilot skill than it does airframe performance. Even tho you may have done lots of KE's with piston power, the first time you stand a turbine on one wing, you WILL experience pucker factor.....

Almost any of the turbines will do almost any of the maneuvers, take a look at last year's Red Flag videos. Then go to the Free Style videos and watch those guys really spank those turbines, they will do it all.
Agreed I flew circles with my turbine for a while before I started doing any maneuvers because of the pucker factor. Until you get used to the fact you are flying a jet it is stressful at the beginning lol
Old Yesterday, 08:40 AM
Joined Oct 2015
1,080 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carruthers43 View Post
The weather finally cooperated and I was able to get the futura out and get the first flights after switching engines... got 4 flights and it was running good. Now time to start practicing!
This is one sexy beast. I love the Futuras what engine you had and what did you put in it?

Quick Reply