logo
Old 04-05-2019, 02:24 PM
Find More Posts by rkoairshows
Joined Feb 2019
23 Posts
Discussion
Byron Pitts S-1S build thread.....

Thought I may reach out to some of the old timers, I have recently purchased and started to build a rare NIB Byron Pitts S-1S. The kit is from 1980 and is the updated version, was missing the build manual and decals but I can find them pretty easily or reproduce a set I can use.

I am going to glass the entire airframe. I had a Byron Pitts on the Late 80's to the mid 90's that I flew at TOPGUN 1997--it was glassed and had a Sachs 3.2 for power she flew great! I sold her to buy a Pitts S-1S full scale and flew that in IAC competition before moving up and onward.....always love the Pitts!

Anyway here are some pics
rkoairshows is offline Find More Posts by rkoairshows
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 04-05-2019, 02:29 PM
Find More Posts by acerc
United States, FL, Center Hill
Joined Jul 2014
1,734 Posts
Your off to a good start, keep going. And posting... lol
acerc is offline Find More Posts by acerc
Old 04-05-2019, 02:46 PM
Find More Posts by as722
Team JR
Pennsyvania
Joined Jan 2006
1,566 Posts
so many memories!
as722 is offline Find More Posts by as722
Old 04-05-2019, 02:49 PM
Find More Posts by myfivezees
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined Oct 2007
564 Posts
Who doesn't love a Pitts ???
myfivezees is offline Find More Posts by myfivezees
Old 04-05-2019, 05:14 PM
Joined Feb 2019
23 Posts
Looks like I have located a spare "Instruction and Build/Owners Manual" thanks to the Byron FB page... Off to a good start!
Old 04-05-2019, 08:13 PM
Find More Posts by jeffh
virginia
Joined Jan 2006
61 Posts
I have a NIB kit just like this. It even has the shredded paper packing material
jeffh is offline Find More Posts by jeffh
Old 04-07-2019, 07:43 PM
Joined Feb 2019
23 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffh View Post
I have a NIB kit just like this. It even has the shredded paper packing material

Very cool......why not build it?
Old 04-07-2019, 07:54 PM
Joined Feb 2019
23 Posts
The build has started.....

So I inventoried my kit, missing the "Owners Manual" and Decal sheet...Callie Graphics I believe has the Decals--and hopefully the paint masks, and Micky from the Byron Facebook Group has stepped up and made me a copy of the build manual so just waiting on USPS.

Still mulling over the Fiberglassing part. I have ZAP-Poxy and practiced on some cracked cowlings and old tail feathers....do y'all thing 3/4oz cloth will be ok? I read on some earlier posts/threads and a guy was saying use at least 1-1/2oz cloth-- where is a good place to find this? Also may build the airframe and have the glass/paint work done by a professional as I want this to be prefect. We will see.

Stlll thinking a DA-50, DLE-55RA or a twin like a DLE-60 twin. Paint scheme will be the Red Devils Charlie Hillard (Maybe Gene Soucy or Tom Poberezeny's scheme not sure) or possibly the Cloud Dancer scheme used in the movie "Cloud Dancer" with David Carradine, if you never seen this movie its a cult film about Aerobatic Competition. Also the Pompano Aerobatic Center who was a dealer in the 80s for Factory Pitts had a "Pompano Scheme" that I like ...especially on the Factory S-1T's....my old full scale S-2B had that. But I digress.....

Started to punch out the die cut plywood parts...and labeled them according the the template sheet I have. I checked and found I have a spare Canopy tucked away so I have two canopies "just in case". The kit appears to be otherwise complete and untouched since 1980!
Old 04-07-2019, 08:01 PM
Joined Feb 2019
23 Posts
When I was 10 years old my family moved from South Dakota to Sarasota Florida. I still remember my first Hobby shop I ever walked into ..."H and H Hobby" and low and behold hanging form the ceiling was a Byron Pitts Special--having just seen the movie Cloud Dancer I thought and knew in my mind it was "fate" not to mention I was lucky my dad took me to Oshkosh 77,78,79, and 80....we saw the Red Devils and the transition to the Eagles... years later I ended up with a nice S-1S and started flying competition aerobatics along with chasing a Major Airline career.
Old 04-07-2019, 09:00 PM
Find More Posts by jeffh
virginia
Joined Jan 2006
61 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkoairshows View Post
Very cool......why not build it?
Oh, Its on the build list!
Old 04-07-2019, 09:03 PM
Find More Posts by jeffh
virginia
Joined Jan 2006
61 Posts
I would use .75oz cloth everywhere but the wear areas. Wings saddle and any place that gets alot of use and moving parts.

After I assemble, glass and paint my fuse, I am going to pull a mold from it for glass fuselages.
Old 04-07-2019, 09:43 PM
Joined Feb 2019
23 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffh View Post
I would use .75oz cloth everywhere but the wear areas. Wings saddle and any place that gets alot of use and moving parts.

After I assemble, glass and paint my fuse, I am going to pull a mold from it for glass fuselages.

I would think 3/4 oz cloth should do it....what did Byron use? Anyone?

Awesome you are going to make a plug..good to know, I am surprised nobody offers a 1/3 Scale Pitts (RC Guys is discontinued) somebody would be wise to offer an S-1S in 1/3 scale....guess that makes ours rare and cool !
Old 04-13-2019, 07:09 PM
Joined Feb 2019
23 Posts
.....found a build manual!

Thanks to Mickey on the Facebook Group for Byron Kits I was able to obtain a copy of the "owners" manual for the Byron Pitts.

Started to mark each plywood part and organize my build....

Quick Reply