Old 04-15-2019, 08:23 PM
Find More Posts by astrohog
movin' on
Bellingham, WA
Joined Jul 2007
2,087 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress.. View Post
It's not the receiver, but the servo plug. Most high quality plugs are rated to 5 amps continuous for less than 30 seconds, some can reach a 10 amp spike for a split second. Some airplanes will draw 60 amps if there are no restrictions, otherwise you're just bottlenecking your setup by not running a power expansion device. It's relatively cheap insurance for what the cost of the airplane is as a whole.
If that is the bottleneck, and it is known to be the bottleneck, why donít the servo manufacturers change the plug?

Astro
astrohog is offline Find More Posts by astrohog
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 04-15-2019, 08:49 PM
Find More Posts by The Hodge
Victoria, Austrailia
Joined Mar 2008
861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohog View Post
If that is the bottleneck, and it is known to be the bottleneck, why don’t the servo manufacturers change the plug?

Astro
Its More about power to the receiver , Ie one Jr/Servo connector fitted battery to power a whole flight system, This becomes a bottle neck. But there is a few ways around this now.

The servos plugs on a servo are not so much affected by this. There normally pretty adequate for just one servos even high torque/power.

Id say over time we will get even more power efficient servos and prob not see a change in servo connector standard.
The Hodge is offline Find More Posts by The Hodge
Old 04-15-2019, 08:54 PM
Find More Posts by Bunky F. Knuckle
Team TDRC Mgr.
Joined Jan 2006
8,220 Posts
I use all PowerSafe Rx's. Simply because they have fail on switches and I can. I fly JR gear. I also have Spektrum stuff too. It all works and it all can fail.

Use your best judgement for your application. Also, see what your local guys are using. Get their advice.
Bunky F. Knuckle is offline Find More Posts by Bunky F. Knuckle
Old 04-16-2019, 11:04 AM
Find More Posts by Xpress..
Team Hitec, Sales
United States, CA, El Cajon
Joined Mar 2008
2,764 Posts
Quote:
If that is the bottleneck, and it is known to be the bottleneck, why donít the servo manufacturers change the plug?

Astro
Because the plug is more than sufficient for the single servo it is wired to.

For the average ~35% airplane with 8 servos, that can draw as high as 60 amps in certain maneuvers, you would need 12 servo plugs providing power to the receiver to be capable of supplying the necessary current. You could of course do this if your receiver was a 20 channel receiver, and only driving 8 servos. The simpler solution is just to run something even as basic as a SmartFly Micro 12G, or something a little fancier for not much more like the XPS X24.
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old 04-16-2019, 02:16 PM
Find More Posts by dldeuce
United States, TX, Sugar Land
Joined Aug 2013
766 Posts
Quote:
Most high quality plugs are rated to 5 amps continuous for less than 30 seconds, some can reach a 10 amp spike for a split second. Some airplanes will draw 60 amps if there are no restrictions, otherwise you're just bottlenecking your setup by not running a power expansion device. It's relatively cheap insurance for what the cost of the airplane is as a whole.
Everyone cites that 5A figure, but I don't know where that comes from. So, I tested it. I ran 11A through a JR connector for an extended period of time. It barely got warm without any noticeable increase in resistance or corresponding decrease in current.

For 35% planes with 7 flight servos, it's common to use a Wolverine switch with three JR outputs to drive one or two receivers. I used to worry that might be a bottleneck. After that test, I doubt that very much. However, the Wolverine switch is rated at a "failsafe" 15A. That, I would worry about.
dldeuce is offline Find More Posts by dldeuce
Old 04-16-2019, 02:59 PM
movin' on
Bellingham, WA
Joined Jul 2007
2,087 Posts
Quote:
Because the plug is more than sufficient for the single servo it is wired to.

For the average ~35% airplane with 8 servos, that can draw as high as 60 amps in certain maneuvers, you would need 12 servo plugs providing power to the receiver to be capable of supplying the necessary current. You could of course do this if your receiver was a 20 channel receiver, and only driving 8 servos. The simpler solution is just to run something even as basic as a SmartFly Micro 12G, or something a little fancier for not much more like the XPS X24.
so it is the servo connectors on the batteries themselves, not on the individual servos. Got it. I wonder if they will be robust enough for the slew of high-power, 12V servos hitting the market?

Astro
Old 04-16-2019, 07:43 PM
Find More Posts by Zeeb
United States, UT, Highland
Joined Feb 2006
4,367 Posts
Quote:
so it is the servo connectors on the batteries themselves, not on the individual servos. Got it. I wonder if they will be robust enough for the slew of high-power, 12V servos hitting the market?

Astro
I'm not familiar with the servos you speak of, but for electrical components one way to reduce the size of the required connectors and wiring, is to increase the voltage. It's the current draw or "amps" that gets us in trouble and higher voltages reduce the amps required for the circuit.

This is the reason that virtually all full scale aircraft of the turbine variety, have DC/AC inverters because all the instrumentation runs off various voltages of AC power. You pull up a floor plate and you see huge bundles of tiny white wires, I think they're a 26g, running from the cockpit to the hell hole. Couldn't do that with DC current.

Haven't worked on the full scale stuff in some years, but as a point of interest a Grumman G IV Gulfstream, has four systems to create AC power.
Zeeb is offline Find More Posts by Zeeb
Old 04-16-2019, 09:29 PM
Find More Posts by JoeT
Racer, Flyer, Dad!
Canada, ON, Vaughan
Joined Oct 2013
1,110 Posts
Quote:

Astro
They will, because the higher the voltage the lower the amperage needed to do the same work.

Watts = Amps x Volts

Example:
A 4.8V @ 6 amps produces 28.8Watts of work

A servo running 7.2 volts only needs 4 amps to do the same work.

A 12v servo only requires 2.4 Amps.

So let's apply that to the real world. ( Hitec 7955, in video)

it took 5.7 amps to move @ 8.2 Volts = 46.74 Watts of work (Produces 27 or 28 lbs / in of torque)

To produce the same amount on a 4.8V system you'd need 9.73 amps.

Hope this helps clarify.
JoeT is online now Find More Posts by JoeT
Old 04-16-2019, 09:53 PM
movin' on
Bellingham, WA
Joined Jul 2007
2,087 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeT View Post
They will, because the higher the voltage the lower the amperage needed to do the same work.

Watts = Amps x Volts

Example:
A 4.8V @ 6 amps produces 28.8Watts of work

A servo running 7.2 volts only needs 4 amps to do the same work.

A 12v servo only requires 2.4 Amps.

So let's apply that to the real world. ( Hitec 7955, in video)

it took 5.7 amps to move @ 8.2 Volts = 46.74 Watts of work (Produces 27 or 28 lbs / in of torque)

To produce the same amount on a 4.8V system you'd need 9.73 amps.

Hope this helps clarify.
Yep, thanks! Electricity has always been voodoo magic to me, flip the switch, light goes on! (don't ask me why, it just does!)

Astro
Old 04-16-2019, 09:55 PM
Find More Posts by JoeT
Racer, Flyer, Dad!
Canada, ON, Vaughan
Joined Oct 2013
1,110 Posts
Quote:
Yep, thanks! Electricity has always been voodoo magic to me, flip the switch, light goes on! (don't ask me why, it just does!)

Astro
Rock On!!
JoeT is online now Find More Posts by JoeT
Old 04-16-2019, 09:58 PM
movin' on
Bellingham, WA
Joined Jul 2007
2,087 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeb View Post
I'm not familiar with the servos you speak of,
https://www.deeforce.net/product-pag...hv-12v-servo-1

Just recently saw them myself

Astro
Old 04-16-2019, 10:51 PM
Find More Posts by aalfawaz
United States, IA, Iowa City
Joined Oct 2015
1,080 Posts
I have used the smartfly micro 14F designed for Futaba 6014 receiver. I love it because it is inexpensive solution to making your Futaba receiver fails safe like. However it doesnít have any programming capabilities.
Also have a PB Mercury SRS in my jet and love it. Programming is easy with a lot of features. Main thing I love about it is the internal iGyro that adjusts the gain using their GPSII unit. But also has many helpful telemetry values (antenna fades, altitude, speed, distance covered, location, # of holds). Has so many features to mention including servos matching and door sequencer.

I also own a powerbox cockpit SRS doesnít have igyro installed but has a lot of programming capabilities
aalfawaz is offline Find More Posts by aalfawaz
Old 04-17-2019, 10:28 AM
Find More Posts by Xpress..
Team Hitec, Sales
United States, CA, El Cajon
Joined Mar 2008
2,764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dldeuce View Post
Everyone cites that 5A figure, but I don't know where that comes from.
That's the rated spec on Hitec connectors, which are essentially the same as old JR connectors.

Quote:

Astro
There's a number of factors to consider but the theory is that yes they will.
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old 04-17-2019, 12:14 PM
Find More Posts by kevinf2501
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Apr 2007
857 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tec View Post
The EQ10E should be hung on the wall at the AMA museum.
Too Funny Brian

Once I'm done with all of my Smartfly power expanders I well send them to AMA museum along with my Futuba 10c Radio and my Fromeco Ion Cube
kevinf2501 is offline Find More Posts by kevinf2501
Old 04-17-2019, 01:09 PM
XPS
Find More Posts by XPS
XPS
CEO/Mad Scientist
United States, AZ, Lake Havasu City
Joined Mar 2015
312 Posts
Quote:

Astro
That's good question for servo manufacturers! The only way to fix this issue is by changing the connector.
XPS is offline Find More Posts by XPS

Quick Reply