logo
Old 04-19-2019, 08:32 PM
Find More Posts by JoeT
Racer, Flyer, Dad!
Canada, ON, Vaughan
Joined Oct 2013
1,708 Posts
What he forgot and turned completely on its side and way out of context was the question and the answer to that question.

Just for reference, the question was: can the connector take the load if voltage was raised to 12v. Answers were based on that question.

Simple question simple answer.

Please carry on.
JoeT is offline Find More Posts by JoeT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 04-19-2019, 09:03 PM
Find More Posts by Truckracer
Des Moines, Iowa USA
Joined Nov 2007
7,492 Posts
I thought I was done with this but .....

dldeuce, many of your statements are true and factual based on using a HV or other servos on 12V with no other changes. but you are missing part of the picture. When this discussion started it centered around running servos on 12V and how it would reduce current requirements. Myself and probably some others assumed this meant a "new" line of 12V servos, not existing servos. You stuck with your line where much of the discussion moved on to how a new line of servos would reduce current requirements for a given amount of torque produced. My frustration centered around you treating a servo as if it was a consistent IR load where in a servo the current draw varies with the load requirements. As XPS stated, wattage is one of the most important considerations here and you never seem to take that into account even when sticking to your Ohms Law guns. Even if you want to stick to treating a servo as if it were a pure resistance, please also consider the effects of E squared over R. At least thats the way I see it. And I think I'm done now.
Truckracer is offline Find More Posts by Truckracer
Old 04-19-2019, 09:59 PM
XPS
Find More Posts by XPS
XPS
CEO/Mad Scientist
United States, AZ, Lake Havasu City
Joined Mar 2015
379 Posts
Ok, it seems we are getting nowhere here. But, luckily the facts are the facts... 12V servos can provide the same torque as 6V servos, using 1/2 of the current. The reduced current is easier on connectors. We are already at the limit of what connectors will handle for current - that's the reason that these are coming out.
XPS is offline Find More Posts by XPS
Old 04-19-2019, 10:04 PM
Find More Posts by JoeT
Racer, Flyer, Dad!
Canada, ON, Vaughan
Joined Oct 2013
1,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by XPS View Post
Ok, it seems we are getting nowhere here. But, luckily the facts are the facts... 12V servos can provide the same torque as 6V servos, using 1/2 of the current. The reduced current is easier on connectors. We are already at the limit of what connectors will handle for current - that's the reason that these are coming out.
Amen!!
JoeT is offline Find More Posts by JoeT
Old 04-20-2019, 08:45 AM
Find More Posts by dldeuce
United States, TX, Sugar Land
Joined Aug 2013
804 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by XPS View Post
I never disagreed with that. If you're trying to summarize my argument, that just shows we've been talking past each other, and that's for sure what you and I have been doing. I probably said it over a dozen times that to raise the voltage, decrease the current and get the same power out of the servo, you have to change the windings.

In any event, I'm leaving this wondering why when they went to the HV servos and also higher torque, why they didn't do anything to address the current? I wonder what the real limits are? Is it size, weight, heat cost? Some other reason? Are you saying all they have to do is put a slightly different spec motor into the "exact same" servo, and we could have gone to 3S batteries with half the current? Is that true? They all produced a whole market place of servos drawing 5A+. I can't imagine they didn't understand all the secondary impacts. For example Futaba did that, and they're still unable to market a receiver that can handle those current requirements. I wonder why they did that and what was behind it?

That's one of the main reasons I'm buying the X24 Jim. You're one of the few people that recognize these servos can easily draw 60A. There's sure a lot of people that are in complete denial of that. I personally watched Booma RC's 824 unit burn up with two servos attached to it. What do you think of the current specs on your competitor's products?
dldeuce is offline Find More Posts by dldeuce
Old 04-20-2019, 09:50 AM
XPS
Find More Posts by XPS
XPS
CEO/Mad Scientist
Joined Mar 2015
379 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dldeuce View Post
In any event, I'm leaving this wondering why when they went to the HV servos and also higher torque, why they didn't do anything to address the current?
Ah! I guess this is where your confusion lies. They did address the current. HV servos do run at a lower current than non-HV servos when applying the same torque in the same servo package. However, the release of HV servos was more so to eliminate using regulators. Regulators are the #1 source of failures in R/C systems, followed by switches, and then wires/extensions.

Quote:
That's one of the main reasons I'm buying the X24 Jim. You're one of the few people that recognize these servos can easily draw 60A. There's sure a lot of people that are in complete denial of that. I personally watched Booma RC's 824 unit burn up with two servos attached to it. What do you think of the current specs on your competitor's products?
I have never seen any of the Booma stuff, so I have never tested anything myself. I don't really care too much about what other companies are producing. I know what I need as a modeler of 47 years, and so I make products that I need... you guys get the benefits of that.

I will say that if something is burning up then it needs to be "people proofed".
Last edited by XPS; 04-20-2019 at 01:17 PM.
Old 04-20-2019, 02:37 PM
Find More Posts by BarracudaHockey
Multi Platform Pilot
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Dec 2007
10,875 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckracer View Post
But another point is that we won't be using 12V on current generation servos so any discussion regarding that is completely irrelevant.
snip
Actually JR/DFA has 12v servos on the market right now. I saw them at Florida Jets
BarracudaHockey is offline Find More Posts by BarracudaHockey
Old 04-20-2019, 09:53 PM
Find More Posts by Truckracer
Des Moines, Iowa USA
Joined Nov 2007
7,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey View Post
Actually JR/DFA has 12v servos on the market right now. I saw them at Florida Jets
I still consider them a new line of servos.
Truckracer is offline Find More Posts by Truckracer
Old 04-20-2019, 11:42 PM
XPS
Find More Posts by XPS
XPS
CEO/Mad Scientist
Joined Mar 2015
379 Posts
Hitec has had 12V servos for many years. They are used primarily in the robotics and UAV industries. The UAV industry is the reason why all of our expander and receiver products have been 16V compatible for more than a decade.
Old 04-21-2019, 02:14 PM
Find More Posts by acerc
United States, FL, Center Hill
Joined Jul 2014
2,167 Posts
There are several brands that have been producing 12v servos for the robotics industry for many years. Check some of them out at the Robot shop, Servo city, Active Robots, Trossenrobotics, as well as others.
acerc is offline Find More Posts by acerc

Quick Reply