logo
Old 01-29-2006, 07:40 PM
Find More Posts by jordan
Joined Jan 2006
73 Posts
help!

i want to get into foamies but it is a little bit confusing...could you please list what i need to build one so it would be ready to fly and please give me which setup you think is the best...keep in mind i am on a budget...thank you!

jordan
jordan is offline Find More Posts by jordan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 01-29-2006, 07:51 PM
Find More Posts by Biff
South Carolina
Joined Jan 2006
3,223 Posts
Re: help!

Jordan. How much do you have to spend? As you can imagine, cost is a big part of what we could suggest. Give us an idea so we can help.
Biff is offline Find More Posts by Biff
Old 01-29-2006, 07:52 PM
Find More Posts by Boulder
It's official, thanks Verne...
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Jan 2006
11,247 Posts

Jordan,

PM F3AFlyer7, he's very knowledgeable in this area.
Boulder is offline Find More Posts by Boulder
Old 01-29-2006, 08:03 PM
Joined Jan 2006
73 Posts

umm...well im thinking around 225 250..i dunno you guys are the experts...that may not coverit
Old 01-29-2006, 08:33 PM
Joined Jan 2006
11,247 Posts

You can get everything you need except the glue, charger and transmitter for around $299.00 from Fancy Foam Models. I've flown both the Extra and the Sukhoi, the Sukhoi is my favorite of these planes.

You will be able to save a little by shopping, but this package is a convenient starter for getting into foamies. A lot of guys cut their own out of foam, but I usually buy the kit.

http://www.fancyfoam.com/

Just a place to start.
Old 01-29-2006, 08:50 PM
Joined Jan 2006
73 Posts

i just looked on the site..how does that work..it asked me which tx and which freq i wanted...and i chose one...i added it to my basked and the total was 299.99 does that come with the tx then?
Old 01-30-2006, 05:57 AM
Joined Jan 2006
11,247 Posts

No transmitter, they need to know which transmitter you have so the receiver will match the "shift" to operate with your brand of transmitter. The frequency question would be to make sure the receiver comes with the correct channel crystal.
Old 01-30-2006, 05:27 PM
Joined Jan 2006
73 Posts

ok thanks
Old 01-30-2006, 05:57 PM
Find More Posts by SofaKing
Does it always do that?
Valrico, FL
Joined Jan 2006
1,361 Posts

Great choice with the FancyFoam model Jordan.
I've got the Edge540 myself and it flies great!!!
If I may make a couple of suggestions. Paint your model first, before assembly and use VERY light coats. If you go too heavy with the paint all at once it WILL melt the foam. Trust me on this one!
Also, get yourself a small bottle of Gorilla Glue. Stuff works great, it foams up a little bit as it cures, so it fills in the pores of the foam making a great bond. Go VERY sparingly with glue, a little goes a long way. If you use too much you will have a mess of foam, looks like the foam from Root Beer soda. If you do, don't worry, keep checking on it every few minutes and wipe up any mess with a DRY paper towel (adding moisture only makes it foam more!) My kit came with a couple pieces of scrap foam attached which were great for practicing with the paint and the glue.
I also used a hot glue gun to attach the servos, receiver and ESC. You can get one at Wal-mart for about $5.00 and about another $5.00 for a bog of 100 glue sticks (enough to last a lifetime), works great!
Remember, these foamies are not intended to last forever, so get out there and beat on it. Once you've messed it up beyond all recognition, strip your electronics off of it and put together another one. FancyFoam sells the airframe and hardware for $35 I think.
Good Luck!!!
SofaKing is offline Find More Posts by SofaKing

Quick Reply