logo
Old 06-25-2021, 11:37 PM
Find More Posts by TerryAir3D
Joined Dec 2020
15 Posts
Discussion
Can't do Crankshaft

I've been trying to do crankshafts and the plane wont do it. I have max throws but the plane wont do it.

Other info:
AJ 73" Raven
DA-35
TerryAir3D is offline Find More Posts by TerryAir3D
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 06-26-2021, 08:33 AM
Find More Posts by rooman
They're get'n lower mate.....
United States, PA, Home
Joined Nov 2006
3,941 Posts
Same as getting a plane to tumble ........move the CG more rearward
rooman is online now Find More Posts by rooman
Old 06-26-2021, 02:48 PM
Find More Posts by Festivus
I sponser JR
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2017
1,808 Posts
I have several different planes, sometimes slowing down the entry speed helps also reduce control in put also helps, apply power after in crankshaft for more crowd wow
Festivus is offline Find More Posts by Festivus
Old 06-27-2021, 12:09 PM
Find More Posts by AltitudeBill
United States, OH, Apple Creek
Joined Oct 2019
93 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryAir3D View Post
I've been trying to do crankshafts and the plane wont do it. I have max throws but the plane wont do it.

Other info:
AJ 73" Raven
DA-35
The plane will do it, no doubt. I’ve seen one with the exact setup you have, the only factor I don’t know is which wings he was using. Pretty much any modern airframe will do it, if your throws and cg are even remotely close to optimum. Do you fly on Realflight? I can send you some stick videos to help out, if you want me to. Or watch Jase Dussia’s Extra NG Stick video, he does it there. Hope this helps
AltitudeBill is offline Find More Posts by AltitudeBill
Old 06-29-2021, 08:10 PM
Find More Posts by Josh M
United States, VA, Suffolk
Joined May 2019
42 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryAir3D View Post

Other info:
AJ 73" Raven
DA-35
That plane will DEFINITELY do it, and it'll wrap up pretty nicely on the right inputs. Normally in may case I've found doing them, you want moderate speed (NOT WFO), and high rates. You'll enter like a negative snap (left aileron, about half stick or so, maybe less), and full forward elevator, and about a 1/3rd RIGHT rudder. When it starts tumbling, come out of the aileron and rudder, leave forward stick in, and add a little left rudder. Some planes may need a little left aileron in them to keep it going. You can either recover by releasing sticks, or stuffing left rudder and aileron and transitioning to a rifle roll exit (high roll rate start and level continuous roll). Or any other combination in between! I've found myself exiting into a harrier before, or doing a transitional crankshaft (too complicated to explain lol, go watch Rob Holland do a 4 minute free and you'll see an inside to outside tumble, that's what I'm talking about).
Josh M is offline Find More Posts by Josh M
Old 06-30-2021, 01:50 AM
Find More Posts by Mithrandir
TEAM FUTABA
High Desert California, USA
Joined Jan 2006
8,437 Posts
What is a crankshaft?
Mithrandir is offline Find More Posts by Mithrandir
Old 06-30-2021, 05:43 AM
Find More Posts by ghoffman
United States, FL, Jupiter
Joined Nov 2009
11,566 Posts
BoneDoc's 3D Clinic - Episode 24: Lomcevak / Crankshaft (3 min 56 sec)
ghoffman is offline Find More Posts by ghoffman
Old 06-30-2021, 06:10 AM
Find More Posts by AltitudeBill
United States, OH, Apple Creek
Joined Oct 2019
93 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh M View Post
That plane will DEFINITELY do it, and it'll wrap up pretty nicely on the right inputs. Normally in may case I've found doing them, you want moderate speed (NOT WFO), and high rates. You'll enter like a negative snap (left aileron, about half stick or so, maybe less), and full forward elevator, and about a 1/3rd RIGHT rudder. When it starts tumbling, come out of the aileron and rudder, leave forward stick in, and add a little left rudder. Some planes may need a little left aileron in them to keep it going. You can either recover by releasing sticks, or stuffing left rudder and aileron and transitioning to a rifle roll exit (high roll rate start and level continuous roll). Or any other combination in between! I've found myself exiting into a harrier before, or doing a transitional crankshaft (too complicated to explain lol, go watch Rob Holland do a 4 minute free and you'll see an inside to outside tumble, that's what I'm talking about).
What he said. You absolutely nailed it, that’s exactly my inputs. With virtually any aerobatic airplane with decent throws and power I’ve tried, it works! The key is right rudder as you start, and transition it to a little left. Once you have it, it’s no sweat. If you go in inverted, I start with left rudder instead of right. For some reason that works.
AltitudeBill is offline Find More Posts by AltitudeBill

Quick Reply