logo
Old 06-24-2021, 05:03 PM
Find More Posts by Josh M
United States, VA, Suffolk
Joined May 2019
17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Planebuilder View Post
That is a bearing that more than likely got hot at some point for sure or one that had a lot of run time on it. Iím assuming that bearing was replaced in the first go round. Only way to know for sure is to remove the hub and see whatís going on behind it. Also if you still think you may be running hot take a look at both pistons thru the exhaust ports. If ran hot for any length of time the piston skirts should be discolored . If theyíre clean and relatively bright I would tend to believe you just have a bearing or seal problem . Out of balance propellers can really wreak havoc on that front bearing as well. Again hope this helps in some way.

Scott
I'm 95% sure I'm not running hot. Little to no markings on sideskirts, and relatively clean. Tops of pistons also relatively clean, except for like 1 or 2 peas sized areas of carbon (this was on the cylinder that had the collapsed gap, left cylinder).
Josh M is offline Find More Posts by Josh M
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 06-24-2021, 05:19 PM
Find More Posts by Planebuilder
United States, AR, McGehee
Joined Sep 2019
28 Posts
Lots of good advice here. Unless tearing it down and doing the work yourself is an option I have to agree with the previous poster. Pull the motor and send it in for repair. Bearings are pretty cheap and really not worth pushing them past their service life. Let us know how it turns out.

Scott
Planebuilder is offline Find More Posts by Planebuilder
Old 06-24-2021, 06:52 PM
Find More Posts by closetguy
United States, OH, Berlin Heights
Joined Jul 2006
5,359 Posts
If not heat ,it could be just a bad bearing .
closetguy is offline Find More Posts by closetguy
Old 06-24-2021, 07:08 PM
Find More Posts by Truckracer
Des Moines, Iowa USA
Joined Nov 2007
6,087 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by closetguy View Post
If not heat ,it could be just a bad bearing .
The seals on many of the bearings used in RC engines are not the greatest from day one and they really don't hold much pressure even when new. DA or Chinese, they all go bad in time. Even if the rear bearing (second from the front in a twin) seals fail, that bearing will probably live a normal life as it will get adequate lubrication from the fuel / oil. The front bearing depends mostly on the grease put it at the factory but it will get a fair amount of lube after the rear bearing seals fail. At some point in time though, the engine will start running like crap and you will know it is time for service. I'm sure a hot (didn't say overheated) engine will accelerate the seal degradation process. I'm thinking this is the case with the engine being discussed here. I'm thinking this engine is being pushed to the limits but that's why we buy them and what we expect from them.
Truckracer is offline Find More Posts by Truckracer
Old 06-30-2021, 07:44 AM
Find More Posts by Viatcheslav
Viatcheslav
Joined Jan 2019
25 Posts
a faulty crankshaft damages the bearing seals (oil from the front bearing) - - - insufficient tightness - - - excess air leads to depletion of the fuel mixture - - - engine overheating
Viatcheslav is offline Find More Posts by Viatcheslav
Old 06-30-2021, 09:02 AM
Find More Posts by rcalbuquerque
United States, NM, Albuquerque
Joined Mar 2007
347 Posts
Louvers

Perhaps you should consider adding some louvers to the sides. I added these and my temps dropped from 325+ down to 250-275. Maybe run it a little richer. I have a temp sensor on mine. I have 2 DA 70ís both have louvers on the cowls and both run low temps. I run them hard all the time no issues. Good luck!
rcalbuquerque is offline Find More Posts by rcalbuquerque

Quick Reply