logo
Old 06-20-2019, 11:56 AM
Find More Posts by nova50073
United States, NC, Earl
Joined Apr 2010
8 Posts
Discussion
Please help me identify this plane and who made the kit.

I live about 1 hour from Joe Nall, and went there with the idea I was coming home with something, well I did, but I do not know what it is, I told the guy selling it, I cannot fly that kind of plane very well, he said if I take $50 off the price, would that make you fly it any better,Ha, no but I hauled it home anyway.
I have been told that it is a Extra 330SC model ?
What I really need is a manual for this thing so I have a better chance of getting it in the air.
Here is what I know for sure.
It was built from a kit, the builder handwriting is inside the fuse.
Wingspan 96.5 inches
length 86 inches
weight 18 lbs without engine or any electronics
bolts are not metric
wing tube is 1.25 od aluminum, with a 16inch wooden dowl in the middle, overall length is 32.875
Here are the pictures.
https://vamartha.smugmug.com/Joe-Nall-airplane/
nova50073 is offline Find More Posts by nova50073
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 06-21-2019, 08:32 AM
Find More Posts by epoweredrc
Electric Powered!
United States, GA, Buchanan
Joined Jan 2008
756 Posts
No clue, its pretty, like the color scheme, that seems heavy to me, 18 lbs w/o anything in it only 96" my 74" Aeroworks edge 540 was 14 rtf.

Good luck hopefully someone will know what it is. th front of the wings look straight to me, more of a edge 540 then a extra something.
epoweredrc is offline Find More Posts by epoweredrc
Old 06-21-2019, 08:45 AM
Find More Posts by jack01
Memphis, TN
Joined Jan 2006
1,439 Posts
It looks to me like a recovered Wild Hare Extra 260. If it's a kit, it might be a Godfrey extra. The tail looks correct for a Godfrey, but I don't remember his design being a single seat. The builder could have cut the canopy down.
jack01 is offline Find More Posts by jack01
Old 06-21-2019, 12:20 PM
Find More Posts by Truckracer
Des Moines, Iowa USA
Joined Nov 2007
4,680 Posts
Likewise, I don't know what it is but there are some clues in the photos. I don't think it is a Wild Hare because the structure and outlines aren't like the Wild Hare planes in either series. The tail group, wing and canopy location look very much like some of the early Pilot stuff. Especially the tail with the low stab location and much enlarged rudder. I'll be curious to know what it really is.
Truckracer is offline Find More Posts by Truckracer
Old 06-21-2019, 12:43 PM
United States, NC, Earl
Joined Apr 2010
8 Posts
Epoweredrc, the front of wing is not straight,it tapers about 1.5 inches. Even if I did not know what I was buying,@ $150 for a 8 foot wingspans plane, hell I will hang it in the great room. In the house, if I don't do any flying with it . And thank all who responded to my question.
Old 06-21-2019, 12:51 PM
United States, NC, Earl
Joined Apr 2010
8 Posts
One more clue,some balsa plywood on the fuse has a German internet address on it. Now would be builder be so particular as to order his wood from Germany or could it have been built there I get the feeling it has some age on it 15 maybe 20 years but I don't think it has been in the air because the aluminum wing tube shows no wear on it
Old 06-21-2019, 12:55 PM
United States, NC, Earl
Joined Apr 2010
8 Posts
Jack01, agree, it does look like a recover and maybe a repair we will take a better look at it this weekend and maybe post some more pictures ��
Old 06-21-2019, 01:03 PM
Find More Posts by epoweredrc
Electric Powered!
United States, GA, Buchanan
Joined Jan 2008
756 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nova50073 View Post
Epoweredrc, the front of wing is not straight,it tapers about 1.5 inches. Even if I did not know what I was buying,@ $150 for a 8 foot wingspans plane, hell I will hang it in the great room. In the house, if I don't do any flying with it . And thank all who responded to my question.
Oh alright, And yes it be a nice plane for decoration in a home.
epoweredrc is offline Find More Posts by epoweredrc
Old 06-21-2019, 01:36 PM
Find More Posts by Festivus
I fly 12 months a year
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2017
921 Posts
Don't give up nova I have never seen a plane or engine that did not get identified
Festivus is offline Find More Posts by Festivus
Old 06-21-2019, 02:23 PM
Find More Posts by FGNewbie
Joined Mar 2010
3,981 Posts
FWIW, I don't think it's a kit. Too many construction techniques found commonly on ARFs. Years ago there were a bunch of companies importing no name ARFs. they would show up at a trade show and dump what they had. That plane appears to be an Extra 260. it looks like it's been around a while. You really don't need a manual, you just need to have an understanding of what's needed to get it set up. First thing I would do is figure out what your options are for engine - what's going to fit and stand off length. After that. everything else is easy. But...with an airframe weight of 18lbs you need to look for ways to lighten it up.
FGNewbie is offline Find More Posts by FGNewbie
Last edited by FGNewbie; 06-21-2019 at 02:31 PM.
Old 06-21-2019, 03:00 PM
Find More Posts by Truckracer
Des Moines, Iowa USA
Joined Nov 2007
4,680 Posts
I also agree, its probably not a kit. Too much laser cutting. Early ARF most likely.
Truckracer is offline Find More Posts by Truckracer
Old 06-21-2019, 04:05 PM
Find More Posts by flying skunks
FFAA for Life
Flying with the Best of Friends
Joined May 2006
19,328 Posts
I would go with an early arf recover , definitely Not a Godfrey
flying skunks is offline Find More Posts by flying skunks
Old 06-21-2019, 11:14 PM
United States, NC, Earl
Joined Apr 2010
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FGNewbie View Post
FWIW, I don't think it's a kit. Too many construction techniques found commonly on ARFs. Years ago there were a bunch of companies importing no name ARFs. they would show up at a trade show and dump what they had. That plane appears to be an Extra 260. it looks like it's been around a while. You really don't need a manual, you just need to have an understanding of what's needed to get it set up. First thing I would do is figure out what your options are for engine - what's going to fit and stand off length. After that. everything else is easy. But...with an airframe weight of 18lbs you need to look for ways to lighten it up.
OK you guys have changed my mind about it being a kit, I am now thinking a ARF with repairs, that is why the writing on the fuse, and might account for the high weight, will give it a good going over again with fresh eyes this weekend. I never did understand why the wingspan was 96.5, why the extra 1/2 inch, it was just odd, I think the guy added a .250 plywood to the side of the fuse.

I did the wing cube loading, 11.6, I got good weights for the engine ,servos, and extra for everything else, I cannot fly a brick, that is way over my pay grade, Hell, I am more of a top wing kind of guy, and was really looking for a giant stick style of plane, but I got to the nall on friday about 2:00 and deals were being cut all around me, should have been there that morning.

When I saw an 8 foot plane, a buck 50, I was not going home empty handed, hope the wife likes the new airplane decor.
Again thank you for all your help, and I may need a night on your couch if the airplane does not fly in the house.
Old 06-22-2019, 11:03 PM
Find More Posts by Texastbird
United States, TX, La Porte
Joined Oct 2008
1,250 Posts
Stick a DLE 85 on it and fly it. You might like it. Not a 3D plane but the price was right.
Texastbird is online now Find More Posts by Texastbird
Old 06-23-2019, 04:39 PM
Find More Posts by asjen
holland
Joined May 2006
57 Posts
can it be a built of a diedrich aircraft performens
it has a fomecore structure on the site i see
i hope i spel the name right
asjen is offline Find More Posts by asjen