logo
Old 08-28-2009, 02:03 PM
Find More Posts by forgues research
Canada
Joined Feb 2006
4,281 Posts
.60 size pattern airplane

can anyone direct me to a good .60 size pattern airplane kit, or plans... I do want to use the OS .60 that I have so not bigger.

I would love to the Calypso from Hanno Pretner.

Any help please.

Roger
forgues research is offline Find More Posts by forgues research
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 09-01-2009, 12:47 PM
Find More Posts by BTerry
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Dec 2006
1,474 Posts
Re: .60 size pattern airplane

Roger, take a look at the planes from Eureka Aircraft. They have laser-cut kits of many good old pattern planes, such as the Curare and Tiporare, Sweettater, Atlas, Compensator, Tiger Tail, A-6 Intruder, Phantom 1, Phoenix, etc. Link here: http://www.eurekaaircraft.com/

If you check eBay sometimes a Modeltech ARC Calypso kit pops up. I bought one about 8 years ago, never finished it, then sold it down the road to somebody else. Since then I have seen many others. I don't know whether the plans are available.

A bunch of the old Bridi planes are available at www.bridiairplanes.com . The XLT, Dirty Birdy, or Chaos kits would work very well.

For pattern plans, check out www.rcmplans.com for all the great RCM plans. MAN still lists most of their pattern plans as well.

Dick Hanson's planes are still being kitted by his friend, I can get you a contact number if you like. They are fiberglass fuse/foam wing construction. The Runaround works well on a piped 60 2-stroke or 91 4-stroke as it is very light. I have an original, all-balsa Runaround kit in my garage rafters waiting to get finished and can't wait.

You are not an ARF fan obviously so I will post this for anybody else, but a good option is the World Models Intruder. If you want a more modern plane for an OS 60 check out the Hyperion Helios 63 (http://www.allerc.com/product_info.p...oducts_id=3354), Sebart Angel S (http://www.fedonaircraft.net/fedon%20aircraft_011.htm), or the CA Models Epsilon 60 (http://www.netboxhobby.com/product.s...&categoryId=53) . There are Canadian dealers who carry these models I am sure.
BTerry is offline Find More Posts by BTerry
Old 09-01-2009, 03:06 PM
Find More Posts by G_Rod22x
Lomcevakin
Champaign, il
Joined Jan 2006
201 Posts

Hello.

I would love to have the contact info for Hanson kits....in glass!
Great thread.....I have wanted a Tipo again for a long time.

cheers,
George
G_Rod22x is offline Find More Posts by G_Rod22x
Last edited by G_Rod22x; 09-01-2009 at 03:24 PM.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:22 PM
Find More Posts by mbacosa
United States, AZ, Scottsdale
Joined May 2008
2,094 Posts

I too would like a contact number for a Hansen kit. I had an Elite with a Hanno 61 and it was a great pattern plane. I would love to re-live the memories
mbacosa is offline Find More Posts by mbacosa
Old 09-01-2009, 03:30 PM
Canada
Joined Feb 2006
4,281 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTerry View Post
Roger, take a look at the planes from Eureka Aircraft. They have laser-cut kits of many good old pattern planes, such as the Curare and Tiporare, Sweettater, Atlas, Compensator, Tiger Tail, A-6 Intruder, Phantom 1, Phoenix, etc. Link here: http://www.eurekaaircraft.com/

If you check eBay sometimes a Modeltech ARC Calypso kit pops up. I bought one about 8 years ago, never finished it, then sold it down the road to somebody else. Since then I have seen many others. I don't know whether the plans are available.

A bunch of the old Bridi planes are available at www.bridiairplanes.com . The XLT, Dirty Birdy, or Chaos kits would work very well.

For pattern plans, check out www.rcmplans.com for all the great RCM plans. MAN still lists most of their pattern plans as well.

Dick Hanson's planes are still being kitted by his friend, I can get you a contact number if you like. They are fiberglass fuse/foam wing construction. The Runaround works well on a piped 60 2-stroke or 91 4-stroke as it is very light. I have an original, all-balsa Runaround kit in my garage rafters waiting to get finished and can't wait.

You are not an ARF fan obviously so I will post this for anybody else, but a good option is the World Models Intruder. If you want a more modern plane for an OS 60 check out the Hyperion Helios 63 (http://www.allerc.com/product_info.p...oducts_id=3354), Sebart Angel S (http://www.fedonaircraft.net/fedon%20aircraft_011.htm), or the CA Models Epsilon 60 (http://www.netboxhobby.com/product.s...&categoryId=53) . There are Canadian dealers who carry these models I am sure.
Thanks Brett, good information....I will look into all of these..

Roger
Old 09-01-2009, 03:44 PM
Canada
Joined Feb 2006
4,281 Posts

Well I found the plans from RCM for the Dirty Birdy, nice looking airplane and perfect for a .60 and ordered it.

Thanks guys.
Roger
Old 09-01-2009, 04:13 PM
Joined Dec 2006
1,474 Posts

Sorry I had to look it up. There was a page hosted on a local hobby shop but they have taken it down.

The Hanson kits are made by Rich Lee. His contact is richlee _at_ directinet.com , insert the ampersand. Rich is a nice guy and is a talented glass molder. As I recall he has all the original molds. Here are the prices as of last time I checked:

Runaround : $275.00
Zlin (fiberglass): $285.00
Elite: $325.00
Excess: $375.00
Ariel: $400.00
EMC: $485.00

As I mentioned I have a Runaround ( 825 in^2 wing area for a piped 1.20 4 stroke). My Dad also had an original all-wood Zlin, followed by a glass Zlin from around 1989 (still in flying condition). The Elite and Ariel, designed by Dick's son Guy, were very nice flying planes. The EMC is now 14 years old and is still is competitive in FAI, and the Excess was a 2m Extra with pattern moments, an attempt to compete in both IMAC with FAI.

The EMC and Excess are, I believe, the "grandfathers" of todays wide-body pattern planes.
Last edited by BTerry; 09-01-2009 at 08:21 PM.
Old 09-01-2009, 04:21 PM
Lomcevakin
Champaign, il
Joined Jan 2006
201 Posts

Wow man.....I always wanted a "Slim Zlin"!

Do you know if $285 includes fuse and cores?
Old 09-01-2009, 04:24 PM
Joined Dec 2006
1,474 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by G_Rod22x View Post
Hello.

I would love to have the contact info for Hanson kits....in glass!
Great thread.....I have wanted a Tipo again for a long time.

cheers,
George
THe fun thing George, is Eureka will make a Tipo in any size you like! He has plans to release a .20 size up to the 1.20-sized Hippo Tipo, and was contemplating custom-kitting a 50cc sized Tipo with an 85" ws. THAT would be fun! I think the Tipo is one of the smoothest-flying planes ever.

Question: does GP still have the molds from the original Tipo? I doubt they do, but it is worth asking. Carving that "tuck" down the side of the fuse would be a challenge.
Old 09-01-2009, 04:27 PM
Joined Dec 2006
1,474 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by G_Rod22x View Post
Wow man.....I always wanted a "Slim Zlin"!

Do you know if $285 includes fuse and cores?
Yes, prices include fuse and cores. This list was from 2 years ago so it might be out of date with the recent worldwide increase in epoxy prices.

The Zlin is outstanding, really is a fun plane to fly. It would be perfect on a YS 1.10 (or OS 110a).
Old 09-01-2009, 04:29 PM
Lomcevakin
Champaign, il
Joined Jan 2006
201 Posts

I will ask Don in the morning. BUT...I think they were sold.

My Dad still has a 2 stroke Runaway...and an all wood Runaround. I really dig the Tipo 750.

The Slim Zlin would be very cool too....but I only have one YS short stroke.
Old 09-01-2009, 04:42 PM
Joined Dec 2006
1,474 Posts

You know, George, YS makes other engines too... The Zlin is justification for another engine!

I honestly believe it would fly well on one of the new ~.80 class or 1.10 class 4-stroke engines. The old YS 1.20AC on my Dad's plane is almost too much power at 4500' elevation.
Old 09-01-2009, 05:26 PM
Joined May 2008
2,094 Posts

I had one the Hanson Slim Zlins too. I had plenty of power on an Enya R120....Yikes I can't believe I remember that motor. The Zlin was an awesome plane. I had the all wood version. Thanks for the information.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:46 PM
Joined Dec 2006
1,474 Posts

Hah! That is funny. Our first Zlin had the Enya R1.20 also. Dick loved that engine until the YS came out. Replaced with the YS 1.20 in late 1989, it went into a box under the work bench.

Fast forward to early 2008. I pulled the engine out of the box, mounted it to a plane, primed it up, and it started! 19 years in a box and it worked perfectly.

It is in perfect condition still, no corrosion at all. Enya did and still does use the best quality materials in their engines. I am contemplating putting this engine in a pylon racer since it has no problems spinning the high RPMs. Sort of runs like a YS 1.10 with 8 ounces of ballast.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:59 PM
Joined May 2008
2,094 Posts

It was a great engine. Never had any problems with it. It was a real power house for it's time. I might have to build a Zlin just to re-kindle the ole memories. I would have to say it was one of my most favorite planes I have ever had.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTerry View Post
Hah! That is funny. Our first Zlin had the Enya R1.20 also. Dick loved that engine until the YS came out. Replaced with the YS 1.20 in late 1989, it went into a box under the work bench.

Fast forward to early 2008. I pulled the engine out of the box, mounted it to a plane, primed it up, and it started! 19 years in a box and it worked perfectly.

It is in perfect condition still, no corrosion at all. Enya did and still does use the best quality materials in their engines. I am contemplating putting this engine in a pylon racer since it has no problems spinning the high RPMs. Sort of runs like a YS 1.10 with 8 ounces of ballast.

Quick Reply