logo
Old 10-11-2011, 12:03 PM
Find More Posts by fredmidgett
Fly low. Roll tape.
Durham, NC
Joined Apr 2006
493 Posts
Just home from Tucson. A great time with super flying. Still a lot of video and pics to sort through and of course we'll be posting all on FlightPass and our HPP FaceBook page.

A memorable moment was Mark's crash of the Krill Yak. Always sad to see this happen but it does make for spectacular video. That flight is up on FlightPass now. I didn't get to speak to Mark directly, but from what I heard, he was using the same motor from another plane that had crashed in a practice flight earlier in the week. That crash was due to a deadstick. He moved that same motor to this plane (Gernot's freestyle plane from 2008-2009) and at the worst possible time it died again. In a falling rolling harrier there is simply no way to save it if the motor dies.

On the lighter side, a few of Mark's buddies, egged on I think by Mark's girlfriend Captain Morgan (far left in photo) put the Yak back together with duct tape. We took the time to pose for a few photos and Ashley got to add a few bits of duct tape as well to this shining example of a all-in-good-fun field repair.

Mark was clearly disappointed just after the crashes, but took it all in stride and showed a lot of class at the awards ceremony with kind words for Gernot and Andrew who were above him on the podium. And he stood dead still and took the point-blank champagne blast from Andrew. Quite fitting for the guy who's dished it out at the previous 5 shootouts.

Our congratulations to all the pilots and organizers of the event. I love the shootout. Once again we left with a lot of great film and even more great memories.
fredmidgett is offline Find More Posts by fredmidgett
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply