Old 02-26-2018, 09:54 PM
Find More Posts by cadman
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Sep 2016
13 Posts
Discussion
Hangar 9 60 CC - Centre Wing Shape - CAD

HI All,
Looking to design a stand for a Hangar 9 60 CC Corsair. I want to support it under the fiberglass center wing but it has a compounded lofted surface shape. Has anyone drawn this shape in CAD?
Thanks,
Ron
cadman is offline Find More Posts by cadman
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 03-02-2018, 08:01 AM
Find More Posts by wfield0455
United States, MA, Holliston
Joined Oct 2007
3,013 Posts
I haven't dealt with that model but I've been doing a lot of the same type of thing lately. What I've been doing is use one of those profile templates (lots of pins that follow the same of a surface) and trace the profile onto a piece of card stock. I do this for the front and back of the area where I expect to place the model on the stand. I then scan in the profile which has a couple of registration marks that I have measured the distance of. I use Fusion 360 for this type of work and Insert the scanned JPG file(s). Fusion hase a the ability to calibrate the inserted image using the registration marks. Once imported and scaled to the correct size I sketch the curves to exactly match the template and then use those curves to complete the design of the stand. I then use Fusion to create the tool paths to control my CNC router and cut the parts. You could of course also just use the original paper templates traced onto a pice of plywood, etc and cut them out with a jig saw but you did ask about CAD. I tend to spend way more effort on these types of "one off" projects but they do result in a very professional looking finished product. IVe done this to create a number of stands to simplify field assembly of my jets, etc.

I'm guessing you were perhaps looking for completed files that someone had already done but hopefully this will give you some ideas of what you can do if no one has something "ready to go" for you.

While probably more work than makes sense for a single project I've been enjoying designing these type of projects and 3D printing them, or cutting them on my CNC router as much as the rest of the project. Just another interesting aspect of the hobby.

Wayne
wfield0455 is offline Find More Posts by wfield0455
Old 03-02-2018, 11:59 AM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Sep 2016
13 Posts
Hi Wayne,
Thank you for the feedback. I have been using and teaching CAD for just over 25 years. I just recently a month in have spent countless hours learning Fusion 360 and really enjoy it. Getting the profile into Fusion is actually my end goal. I have a 3D scanner at work but does not do a very good job. I found a free Corsair .obj file on Turbosquid.com but can not seem to use it as a cutting tool in Fusion. Kind of a useless file when inserted into Fusion. I am now looking at a more traditional way of getting the profile in. I would like to try your method but am a little confused on the How To! Also interesting is your mention of the CNC router. I did lots of programming years ago using Mastercam and dreamed of having my own machine even one at a mini level. What is the machine you are using?
Thanks,
Ron
Old 03-02-2018, 03:10 PM
Find More Posts by wfield0455
United States, MA, Holliston
Joined Oct 2007
3,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadman View Post
Hi Wayne,
Thank you for the feedback. I have been using and teaching CAD for just over 25 years. I just recently a month in have spent countless hours learning Fusion 360 and really enjoy it. Getting the profile into Fusion is actually my end goal. I have a 3D scanner at work but does not do a very good job. I found a free Corsair .obj file on Turbosquid.com but can not seem to use it as a cutting tool in Fusion. Kind of a useless file when inserted into Fusion. I am now looking at a more traditional way of getting the profile in. I would like to try your method but am a little confused on the How To! Also interesting is your mention of the CNC router. I did lots of programming years ago using Mastercam and dreamed of having my own machine even one at a mini level. What is the machine you are using?
Thanks,
Ron
Basically, if you can get a template that matches the profile you need either via trial and error with card stock or whatever, you can then use a regular 2D scanner to scan it to your PC as a JPG file. Then in Fusion 360 use the Insert -> Attached Canvas function. This will allow you to place the JPG image onto your screen. This will create a canvas where your sketches, etc appear and if you click on it there is a calibrate function that will allow you to click on 2 points of the image and provide a dimension. This scales the canvas to the actual size of the profile you scanned in. At that point you can use the sketch tools, (lines, splines, etc) to trace the profile outline and then you have something you can loft, extrude, etc.
I'm sure I haven't provided enough detail to actually do this but hopefully enough so you can figure it out with a bunch of messing around. Also, Lars Christensen of Autodesk has a TON of YouTube videos on Fusion 360 and most are pretty well done and worth watching if you haven't already seen them. He covers everything from beginner to fairly advanced topics. I know he has some where he shows the process I tried to describe but I it may not be obvious from the video titles.

Wayne
wfield0455 is offline Find More Posts by wfield0455
Old 03-02-2018, 06:38 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Sep 2016
13 Posts
Hi Wayne,
All excellent and appreciated information I will follow! I really enjoy Lars's videos. I have been communicating with him over the last month. I will follow up with you with what I come up with. On your advice I found Home Depot has a 10" Contour Gauge for this purpose. Its not long enough but will give me a head start. I appreciate all the great ideas.
Ron

Quick Reply