logo
Old 11-25-2010, 09:10 AM
Find More Posts by LawyerGong
Suspended Account
Washington DC
Joined Oct 2010
10 Posts
Are Gas engine users really this stupid?

I have been in this hobby for many years and have recently returned after a year or so hiatus
One thing I have noticed is that the General industry has changed but it really remains the same when it comes to Engines. It seems to be full of the same old “sales ploys” as always.
Here is what I mean by that.
I have purchased a number of engines over past few years. In no particular order, I have had DA 50 and DA 100, DLE 55 and DL 50, and RCGF 62 and an RCGF 32, a CRRC 50, a Zenoah 62, a Brilleli 36, a JC 28 and an Area 51, an Evolution 45, a 3W 28 and a 3W 55. It seems that the cheaper the Chinese product, the more troublesome it is (I had terrible experiences with the RCGF and the CRRC’s but not really that much worse than I had with the DLEs and Zenoah) but even the “top brands” are generally not a lot easier to work out. Not one of them seemed to be much use without a lot of intervention to get them to turn reliably at what are really very low RPMs for this style of engine.
I got to thinking that in reality, the hype around the engines we use is a bunch of [email protected]@@@. We get a cheap leaf blower or line trimmer and it runs forever on just about any fuel mix and a cheap ol spark plug but as soon as we drop the revs down and run it with a fairly constant load, they need lots of love and attention. Is this perhaps just a ploy by the dealers and manufacturers to make themselves feel important?
I can get something like pretty much any saw engine, hack off a few bits with basic tools, Install an electronic ignition to save a little weight, buy a few off the shelf bits like a prop hub and for about $200, I have a reliable almost bullet proof RC engine that suits my needs. I am not into “shiny stuff” nor am I a world champion flyer (there can only be one of those at a time). OR I can spend a lot more money on a “name” just so I can then lose a lot more flying time whilst tinkering with it, taking advantage of great service or dealing with issues.
Before you ask – I run Stihl HP oil at 40:1 in normal pump gas in all of my engines – including my RC ones.
Tell me- are us RC flyers really that crazy so as to spend so much money just because someone says that is what they should do?
Or is that “Great Service” (that should only really be needed after a major crash) , dealers hype or “shiny stuff” really worth the extra headaches?

EDIT
Ok, I now admit it. I did this as a joke. I had a bet with a buddy that there would be 5 pages of total drivel posted within 24 hours. That within 48 hours there would be mostly flames and that overall by the time it reached 10 pages, there would be "experts" talking out their backsides saying I can't tune an engine.

Come on experts, Show me where in the original post does it say any or all brands are junk. The original remains unedited above. You can check if you like as It has been quoted many times further on in the thread. There was a couple of brands I have had that are really only worth paying very little for and only very little was paid for them.
The other parts of the bet?
2, That the "DA groupies" would get themselves all hot under the collar and tel me to buy a bigger engine or take advantage of the great service (please tell me again why it should be needed? I thought these were the be all and end all of pure RC pleasure).

Thank you all very much. I do appreciate the case of fine Bourbon I just got given for winning the bet.

Fact is that for most flyers. Conversions are fine and there is no need to buy a complete saw to start with. Plenty are available at a low cost. What do you think Zenoah, Taurus, FPE, Brilleli etc all use? But I guess they are no good either.

Keep up the good work guys. I will continue to watch the real serious ones get answered (or not). Of course it has been spelt out pretty clear that only "serious IMACers" and Large engine guys hang out here so maybe the real questions belong elsewhere.

Now on to oil ratios, gas ratings and which is the best servo to use.

Oh, I do fly DA sometimes. I just find that to get the best out of those requires just as much effort in tuning and setup as a Brilleli or an Echo conversion. There really is not a lot of difference in the effort required to get any of them right.
LawyerGong is offline Find More Posts by LawyerGong
Last edited by LawyerGong; 11-29-2010 at 08:59 AM. Reason: point proven
Quick reply to this message (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old 11-25-2010, 09:19 AM
Find More Posts by stommerd27
Low and Slow Baby!!
Glyndon, Minnesota
Joined Feb 2008
967 Posts
Re: Are Gas engine users really this stupid?

Dude you can do as you wish as long as you are happy with it and everyone else can do what they want.

I personally run the engine like the manufacturer says while under warranty so as not to void it. After that I generally do as I wish and have had no problems with any of my engines.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving!!
stommerd27 is offline Find More Posts by stommerd27
Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2010, 09:27 AM
Find More Posts by LawyerGong
Suspended Account
Washington DC
Joined Oct 2010
10 Posts

Absolutley
Happy Thanksgiving to all also

I agree that we should do as we please. But it does seem a little strange just how much money we send to dealers and Overseas manufacturers just to feed our own egos - or is there another reason for it?
LawyerGong is offline Find More Posts by LawyerGong
Quick reply to this message (Disabled)
Old 11-25-2010, 09:39 AM
Find More Posts by aviti
St Louis, MO
Joined Jan 2006
1,350 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawyerGong View Post
I have been in this hobby for many years and have recently returned after a year or so hiatus
One thing I have noticed is that the General industry has changed but it really remains the same when it comes to Engines. It seems to be full of the same old “sales ploys” as always.
Here is what I mean by that.
I have purchased a number of engines over past few years. In no particular order, I have had DA 50 and DA 100, DLE 55 and DL 50, and RCGF 62 and an RCGF 32, a CRRC 50, a Zenoah 62, a Brilleli 36, a JC 28 and an Area 51, an Evolution 45, a 3W 28 and a 3W 55. It seems that the cheaper the Chinese product, the more troublesome it is (I had terrible experiences with the RCGF and the CRRC’s but not really that much worse than I had with the DLEs and Zenoah) but even the “top brands” are generally not a lot easier to work out. Not one of them seemed to be much use without a lot of intervention to get them to turn reliably at what are really very low RPMs for this style of engine.
I got to thinking that in reality, the hype around the engines we use is a bunch of [email protected]@@@. We get a cheap leaf blower or line trimmer and it runs forever on just about any fuel mix and a cheap ol spark plug but as soon as we drop the revs down and run it with a fairly constant load, they need lots of love and attention. Is this perhaps just a ploy by the dealers and manufacturers to make themselves feel important?
I can get something like pretty much any saw engine, hack off a few bits with basic tools, Install an electronic ignition to save a little weight, buy a few off the shelf bits like a prop hub and for about $200, I have a reliable almost bullet proof RC engine that suits my needs. I am not into “shiny stuff” nor am I a world champion flyer (there can only be one of those at a time). OR I can spend a lot more money on a “name” just so I can then lose a lot more flying time whilst tinkering with it, taking advantage of great service or dealing with issues.
Before you ask – I run Stihl HP oil at 40:1 in normal pump gas in all of my engines – including my RC ones.
Tell me- are us RC flyers really that crazy so as to spend so much money just because someone says that is what they should do?
Or is that “Great Service” (that should only really be needed after a major crash) , dealers hype or “shiny stuff” really worth the extra headaches?
?
aviti is offline Find More Posts by aviti
Old 11-25-2010, 09:43 AM
Find More Posts by jamesrxx951
toledo ohio
Joined Jan 2009
10,506 Posts

i really don't understand this first post. sounds like you cant tune a engine. i have no idea what is going on here. delete this thread.
jamesrxx951 is offline Find More Posts by jamesrxx951
Old 11-25-2010, 09:44 AM
Find More Posts by FGNewbie
Joined Mar 2010
4,055 Posts

pp
FGNewbie is offline Find More Posts by FGNewbie
Old 11-25-2010, 09:49 AM
Find More Posts by lxcoupe
Welcome to Costco. I love you.
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Jan 2006
4,027 Posts

i think you should get a point for typing the word st*pid
lxcoupe is online now Find More Posts by lxcoupe
Old 11-25-2010, 10:02 AM
Find More Posts by ScottZ
Super Contributor
Egg Harbor,NJ
Joined Jan 2006
462 Posts

He didn't even say that the DA 100 was the finest motor he ever had. I wish all my motors ran like my DA 100 's and 150's.
ScottZ is offline Find More Posts by ScottZ
Old 11-25-2010, 10:15 AM
Find More Posts by robbinsp
United States, SD, Harrisburg
Joined Sep 2009
3,337 Posts

dude you need help.
robbinsp is offline Find More Posts by robbinsp
Old 11-25-2010, 10:17 AM
Find More Posts by melter
Doo It! Doo It!
fremont,nh usa
Joined Aug 2006
133 Posts

troll
melter is offline Find More Posts by melter
Old 11-25-2010, 10:22 AM
Find More Posts by rcflyguy
workin on rollers!!!
Findlay, OH
Joined Jan 2006
2,182 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by melter View Post
troll

+1
rcflyguy is offline Find More Posts by rcflyguy
Old 11-25-2010, 10:32 AM
Find More Posts by flatspinjim
Ft Lupton CO
Joined Nov 2008
2,690 Posts

I've never seen a 200cc chainsaw engine that will fit under a cowl.
flatspinjim is offline Find More Posts by flatspinjim
Old 11-25-2010, 10:46 AM
Find More Posts by futaba kid 1998
Flyin' Around
a certain place...
Joined Nov 2010
12 Posts

I think his point is we can buy a 200 dollar chain saw... abuse the crap out of it and it keeps running... but we are all drinking the "Gotta cost a grand or more to be any good" koolaid... and we seem to embrace the concept....

I think that was what he was getting at....

I gotta say, the converted "Chain Saw" motors seemed heavier to me for the weight... and usually they are piston ported rather then Reed motors...

but suggesting all gas-mo users as being stupid in the thread title does seem needlessly confrontational...
futaba kid 1998 is offline Find More Posts by futaba kid 1998
Old 11-25-2010, 10:52 AM
Find More Posts by Efishensea
F - IT !!!!
United States, CA, San Clemente
Joined Jul 2008
1,204 Posts

It looks like he has only run the Smaller Single Cylinder Gas Engines? Anything under the 50cc class will have tendency to be Very Finicky. Once someone crosses the line into the "Giant Scale" 100cc+ Class of Twins one will notice a wonderful change in reliability.
Efishensea is offline Find More Posts by Efishensea
Old 11-25-2010, 10:53 AM
Find More Posts by aerolou
Doo It! Doo It!
Wytheville VA
Joined Jan 2006
202 Posts

Are Gas engine users really this stupid?

I guess I am.
Happy ThanksGiving.
aerolou is offline Find More Posts by aerolou

Quick Reply