logo
Old 07-28-2010, 12:26 PM
Find More Posts by plane_down
Flyin' Around
Joined Jul 2010
1 Posts
Huckfest - Gardner, MA - schedule of events?

Looking for a schedule of events for Gardner, MA Huckfest. Anyone have this info or link to it? Thanks!
plane_down is offline Find More Posts by plane_down
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 08-01-2010, 11:24 AM
Find More Posts by Sundog
Grafton, MA
Joined Mar 2006
20 Posts
Re: Huckfest - Gardner, MA - schedule of events?

Also looked for such a thing, but never found it.

We ended up going on Saturday, with gorgeous skies and light winds. It's my second or third in Gardner, and while my comments carry no weight, I thought I'd thrown them out there.

One of my friends arrived Thursday to an empty field. He went back on Friday and watched things being set up, so "JULY 28TH - AUGUST 1ST" was a bit of a stretch. Schedule of events would have saved some gas.

I can appreciate the fact that these events are essentially for the pilots. They're the paying attendees, so I get it. But, it sure would have been nice for a little accommodation made for the spectators. We sat on the taxiway for as long as we could take the heat before we had to leave. For some reason, probably for a good one, the pilot's tents were pushed back this year, with LOTS of grass in front toward the runway, and tape blocking off access behind the tents. I presume this was in response to a problem with spectators getting too close to the planes in the past? It sure seemed like there was plenty of room to move the pilots a little closer to the runway and give a row of grass behind for spectators, even with a taped off "buffer" in between.

Again, I know the event is for the pilots, but as a spectator, I would have spent more time there, bought food, raffle tickets, etc had it been more tolerable for me and my son (and another 5 guests that came). The flying was cool (figuratively).
Sundog is offline Find More Posts by Sundog
Old 08-01-2010, 03:12 PM
Find More Posts by SmoothFlying
Suspended Account
United States, OK, Bethel
Joined Jan 2006
5,049 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundog View Post
We sat on the taxiway for as long as we could take the heat before we had to leave.
Its always extremely funny to see people say that there was a lot of heat and that they couldnt take it when the temp highs are in the 70's and low 80's LOL
SmoothFlying is offline Find More Posts by SmoothFlying
Reply With Quote  (Disabled) Quick reply to this message (Disabled)
Old 08-01-2010, 03:23 PM
Find More Posts by BOSSIER_ROB
Still Draggin' 'Em
United States, LA, Bossier City
Joined Mar 2007
6,809 Posts

I know. Try 100+ with humidity at least 40% or better. Your sweat does nothing to cool you and just makes you dehydrate that much faster. Stuck at work today. Thermometer says 104 in the building. I'd rather be flying in a cool 85 degrees.
BOSSIER_ROB is offline Find More Posts by BOSSIER_ROB
Old 08-01-2010, 03:58 PM
Find More Posts by Full Throttle
Suspended Account
the same place the first flight happened
Joined Jan 2010
1,419 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothFlying View Post
Its always extremely funny to see people say that there was a lot of heat and that they couldnt take it when the temp highs are in the 70's and low 80's LOL
Yeow, what a sissy, as already said come down here, been 105 and 70% humidity basicaly since middle of June. I'll take 75 degree's.
Full Throttle is offline Find More Posts by Full Throttle
Old 08-01-2010, 04:43 PM
Find More Posts by teambarger
United States, MA, Townsend
Joined Aug 2007
333 Posts

It's funny that up hear in the northeast we always complain about the heat and cold. That was pointed out to me by a out of stater and I had to laugh because it is true. There were a few spectators that brought canopys and set them up next to the pilots. Also you could walk in front of the pilot canopys to look at all the planes and talk to us. I even gave out some sunscreen for some poor guy who ran out . Another guy dragged his chair over in the shade of my canopy to get out of the sun which is cool because we talked for a bit and had some fun. There also was a large tent set up that you may have been able to escape the sun and get some shade. You have to admit the noonish time demo's by Cody and John were cool and should of helped
teambarger is offline Find More Posts by teambarger
Old 08-02-2010, 02:44 PM
Grafton, MA
Joined Mar 2006
20 Posts

Cody and John's demos were awesome, no doubt. I thoroughly enjoyed them.

As for the heat, if you must know, it was my son who couldn't take the July sun beating down (and up) on him. He takes after his mother and doesn't sweat - he just overheats. The tent was a good idea and appreciated, but it served only to block the light breeze - he tried it.

I wish I'd known about walking around, especially the front. With all the yellow tape strung up everywhere, it wasn't very welcoming. I walked along the back but didn't want people to think I was sneaking around.

I would never have thought I was welcome to set up a tent next to the pilots, even if I'd brought one. Now I know.

Oh, and we all know you folks from the south live in the A/C all summer - don't talk to me about having to "live in" that weather. I was in Florida a year ago February and they were advising kids not stand for the school bus because it was 30 degrees out. Please.
Old 08-02-2010, 03:05 PM
Find More Posts by BOSSIER_ROB
Still Draggin' 'Em
United States, LA, Bossier City
Joined Mar 2007
6,809 Posts

I wish most of my day was spent in the a/c.
BOSSIER_ROB is offline Find More Posts by BOSSIER_ROB
Old 08-02-2010, 03:10 PM
Find More Posts by SmoothFlying
Suspended Account
United States, OK, Bethel
Joined Jan 2006
5,049 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundog View Post
Cody and John's demos were awesome, no doubt. I thoroughly enjoyed them.

As for the heat, if you must know, it was my son who couldn't take the July sun beating down (and up) on him. He takes after his mother and doesn't sweat - he just overheats. The tent was a good idea and appreciated, but it served only to block the light breeze - he tried it.

I wish I'd known about walking around, especially the front. With all the yellow tape strung up everywhere, it wasn't very welcoming. I walked along the back but didn't want people to think I was sneaking around.

I would never have thought I was welcome to set up a tent next to the pilots, even if I'd brought one. Now I know.

Oh, and we all know you folks from the south live in the A/C all summer - don't talk to me about having to "live in" that weather. I was in Florida a year ago February and they were advising kids not stand for the school bus because it was 30 degrees out. Please.
I mowed the lawn today in the heat today. This past weekend I was flying in the heat all day and this weekend will be in the heat flying Friday - Sunday. Dont know what you are talking about being in the A/C all summer. Plus I like the cold. Go skiing in the winter out west each year and bear the teens and twenty degree temps. We can handle the temps down here, cold and hot. You guys can only handle the cold. If it gets above 75 yall turn on the A/C to high. We just open the windows and get fresh air at 75.
SmoothFlying is offline Find More Posts by SmoothFlying
Old 08-02-2010, 03:37 PM
Find More Posts by Full Throttle
Suspended Account
the same place the first flight happened
Joined Jan 2010
1,419 Posts

I fix A/C for a living, I am in it all day plus uhh, every place I go the A/c is broke. spend a few hours in a 140 degree attic. Winter just hrts my bones, the heat kills me slowly everyday. never heard of any one dying of a cold stroke. the bad thing with cold is snow, just makes it diffacult to work in.
Full Throttle is offline Find More Posts by Full Throttle
Old 08-02-2010, 08:33 PM
Grafton, MA
Joined Mar 2006
20 Posts

Ok, I certainly know people around here that turn on their AC in April and off again in October. We're not one of them, but I see it too. Come to think of it, I think they're transplants. Hmmm.

Yeah, no such thing as a cold stroke - you just freeze!
Old 08-18-2010, 01:31 PM
Find More Posts by spookymadman
Funny as a Klown!
US
Joined Jan 2006
8 Posts

Flyingklown you flew very well at the Huckfest in MA. You have really been practicing! You just keep getting better! I saw Craig and rollingharrier the Tank... They are falling behind. Only Elie and flyingklown flew good in ma a few weeks ago. Go figure!
spookymadman is offline Find More Posts by spookymadman

Quick Reply