logo
Old 11-01-2007, 01:31 PM
Find More Posts by mmcconville
United States, VA, Fredericksburg
Joined May 2006
947 Posts
Re: new H9 Sukoi

Sorry Tom, I did not mean that as a personal attack. I have also not personally flown the WH Sukhoi. I saw one fly at the Nall this year, but that is my only experience with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildhare View Post
Excuse me?

I take exception to this broad generalization.

The 35% Wild Hare Sukhoi is an excellent flying plane, which has just about the exact same layout as the H9 but is bigger. I made all the same mods the Mike made, with the exception of not leaving the h-stab looking like a Yak. It's lowered from stock location, but not quite as much.

Our plane has won several IMAC events this year. It is set up not only for "A" canister but also for dual canisters if the owner wants to use a twin. Our pocket hinges are unique and make trimming much easier.

The DA-85 is completely adequate for the Wild Hare Sukhoi and is overkill on the H9 plane. There is no need to settle for a smaller plane, and the Wild Hare price includes CF wing and stab tubes and instrument panel.

Ask anyone who owns one if they like the way it flies.

TF
mmcconville is offline Find More Posts by mmcconville
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 11-01-2007, 02:04 PM
Find More Posts by Gus155
Kommetjie Cape Town South Africa
Joined Jan 2006
976 Posts

Mike would the cowl fit the older Su 31? got one where the cowl is pretty toast, and the canopy has a few cracks in it.
Gus155 is offline Find More Posts by Gus155
Old 11-02-2007, 01:06 AM
Find More Posts by JEFFRO503
www.rcdude.com
St helens OR
Joined May 2006
2,088 Posts

Hey Mike....quick question. Is the landing gear a two piece? It looks as though it might be , because it's up inside the fuse......just checking.
JEFFRO503 is offline Find More Posts by JEFFRO503
Old 11-02-2007, 08:21 AM
Find More Posts by wildhare
Suspended Account
Texas
Joined Jul 2006
1,487 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcconville View Post
Sorry Tom, I did not mean that as a personal attack. I have also not personally flown the WH Sukhoi. I saw one fly at the Nall this year, but that is my only experience with it.
Yeah, I know it was just an oversight and a generalization. I always try to avoid absolutes like always, never, "all others", etc. It must be my long life with tech stuff, any time I ever used an absolute like "OK now it's fixed" there was an almost immediate failure.

TF
wildhare is offline Find More Posts by wildhare
Reply With Quote  (Disabled) Quick reply to this message (Disabled)
Old 11-02-2007, 09:21 AM
Joined May 2006
947 Posts

The cowl is actually the only part that is common wih the old SU-31. Everything behind (and inside) the cowl is different, so the canopy is not common to it.

The landing gear is one-piece. Its had a semi-hoop bend in the center to clear the canister.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:53 AM
Find More Posts by Rolling Thunder
Team Horizon Hobby
Glendale, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
1,855 Posts

Is the fuse setup for the MTW 110K(short and 3" wide) or the 110 longer and narrower?
Rolling Thunder is offline Find More Posts by Rolling Thunder
Old 11-02-2007, 09:57 AM
Joined May 2006
947 Posts

Old 11-21-2007, 04:19 PM
Find More Posts by dptp9lf
Let's Git'er Done!
Calgary Alberta Canada
Joined Aug 2007
47 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcconville View Post
This makes me think that my JMB TR80 (83mm for ZDZ Super 80) can will fit nicely in the fuse... is that correct Mike?
Thanks
dptp9lf is offline Find More Posts by dptp9lf
Old 11-21-2007, 07:48 PM
Find More Posts by Dan_nO
Frankfort, Ky.
Joined Jan 2006
3,006 Posts

dptp9lf, it may be a few days before you hear from Mike, he just returned from a business trip and is doing Thanksgiving like most everyone else, Im sure he has a lot of catching up to do so it may take him a little bit.
Dan_nO is offline Find More Posts by Dan_nO
Old 11-21-2007, 08:56 PM
Find More Posts by dptp9lf
Let's Git'er Done!
Calgary Alberta Canada
Joined Aug 2007
47 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_nO View Post
dptp9lf, it may be a few days before you hear from Mike, he just returned from a business trip and is doing Thanksgiving like most everyone else, Im sure he has a lot of catching up to do so it may take him a little bit.
Thanks Danny... I'll wait patiently.
From reading past posts, I've sort of deduced that it will work but would like to hear it from the "horse's mouth". I don't mind some mods but don't want to rebuild the lower end either.
Cheers,
Lyle
dptp9lf is offline Find More Posts by dptp9lf
Old 11-21-2007, 09:51 PM
Find More Posts by zoomer260
Louisville,KY
Joined Jun 2006
3,052 Posts

I for one would like to comment on the arched landing gear. A MUST on a Su26m. I just couldn't get past the straight gear on the other models. I prefer my models to resemble full scale and the gear is a in your face part of that.
zoomer260 is offline Find More Posts by zoomer260
Old 11-21-2007, 10:32 PM
Find More Posts by tman
Joined May 2006
73 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildhare View Post
Excuse me?

I take exception to this broad generalization.

The 35% Wild Hare Sukhoi is an excellent flying plane, which has just about the exact same layout as the H9 but is bigger. I made all the same mods the Mike made, with the exception of not leaving the h-stab looking like a Yak. It's lowered from stock location, but not quite as much.

Our plane has won several IMAC events this year. It is set up not only for "A" canister but also for dual canisters if the owner wants to use a twin. Our pocket hinges are unique and make trimming much easier.

The DA-85 is completely adequate for the Wild Hare Sukhoi and is overkill on the H9 plane. There is no need to settle for a smaller plane, and the Wild Hare price includes CF wing and stab tubes and instrument panel.

Ask anyone who owns one if they like the way it flies.

TF
How do you know the DA85 is "overkill" for the H9? Have you flown one? Have you seen one fly? I have.
tman is offline Find More Posts by tman
Old 11-21-2007, 11:34 PM
Find More Posts by Bat Fastard
Manakin-Sabot Va
Joined Apr 2006
645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tman View Post
How do you know the DA85 is "overkill" for the H9? Have you flown one? Have you seen one fly? I have.

Is it "overkill"?......I mean since you have flown/seen one fly and all.......
Just asking a question, no troll.

Thanks
BF
Bat Fastard is offline Find More Posts by Bat Fastard
Old 11-21-2007, 11:38 PM
Find More Posts by wildhare
Suspended Account
Texas
Joined Jul 2006
1,487 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tman View Post
I have flown a 25 pound plane with the DA-85, based on that it's very obvious that on a 21 lb. plane it will be way more power than is needed.

And I did not mean that to be negative, by overkill I did not mean too much. The DA-85 is smooth and light so it will match up to that H9 Sukhoi just fine, I just meant that it is more power than the plane needs.

TF
wildhare is offline Find More Posts by wildhare
Reply With Quote  (Disabled) Quick reply to this message (Disabled)
Old 11-28-2007, 11:07 PM
Find More Posts by superdh
Joined May 2006
265 Posts

Hi guys, started reading threads here on FG a couple of days ago....GREAT SITE!

I will soon be assembling one of the new H9 Sukhoi's, the MM designed red bull version. Had his first H9 Sukhoi as my first giant scale with a da100 and was very impressed with it's flying abilities. Love the color scheme on the new model so after 2 1/2 years flying the first sukhoi I have sold it!

I am planning on using a da85 as per Mike's proto. My local club has "normal" sound rules and my older sukhoi had two Chapman mufflers custom made to fit my airframe. The club guys all said the sound level/tone was o.k., but just barely. I know it can be hard to quiet down the bark of these bigger models but we were succesful with not not too much power loss, still had lots left over for unlimited verticals.

My questions is, are the cans like the MTW 110k much quieter than regular mufflers such as slimlines/da's etc? I assume they are as they allow much more exhaust gas expanion and cooling which usually results in less noise.

The new H9 Sukhoi should be very well powerred with the da85 and I am willing to loose a little power (did I really type that?) so I can continue to fly with my friends.
I will also probably try a smaller 3 bladed prop as this will help a little with prop noise.

Have any of you guys put a sound meter on a "canned" plane just to see? I know rpm, motor brand, intake type, cowl shape, prop etc etc all can change sound levels dramaticaly.

If you read this Mr. McConville, would you mind posting your opinion of the "sound level" of your prototype?
superdh is offline Find More Posts by superdh

Quick Reply