logo
Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2008, 06:48 AM
preston blake is offline
Find More Posts by preston blake
Flyin' Around
preston blake's Avatar
Gainesville,FL
Joined Feb 2007
25 Posts
Options for 14MZ owners

Since there some unresolved issues with Futaba 2.4 FAST ( thermal shutdown,low voltage signal current), have any of you used a spectrum module on a 14MZ and can you share your experience with it ? PLEASE limit responses to the question asked !!!
preston blake is offline Find More Posts by preston blake
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old 05-11-2008, 10:00 AM
03fomoco is offline
Find More Posts by 03fomoco
Recovering Shankboner
03fomoco's Avatar
Tucson AZ
Joined Sep 2007
135 Posts
Re: Options for 14MZ owners

Yes I owned the DSM2 module for the 12/14z's I personally did not like it for several reasons. The module and 90 degree lead that comes off the back sticks out about 3/4" past the handle and makes setting the radio down unsafe and impossible. Why they did not have the antenna connector exit from the top is beyond me. I hated the idea of the little pigtail that had to be plugged in the trainer port. There was no was to insure it would stay in. Lastly when you turn the radio on it gives you an annoying message there is no module installed and to turn the radio off and install one. You can by bypass this but then the light just blinks and blinks.

Dave
03fomoco is offline Find More Posts by 03fomoco
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2008, 10:43 AM
Judge is online now
Find More Posts by Judge
Team Futaba
Judge's Avatar
United States, CA, Ladera Ranch
Joined Jan 2006
11,452 Posts
Re: Options for 14MZ owners

Just to be clear, the "low voltage" thing is NOT a problem. The RX is DESIGNED that way. It uses a new generation chip that runs at a lower voltage. It is not an issue unless you are using certain Hitec servos which cannot recognize the lower signal voltage. Futaba and JR servos work fine.
Judge is online now Find More Posts by Judge
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2008, 10:44 AM
Flyfalcons is offline
Find More Posts by Flyfalcons
Hero to the masses
Flyfalcons's Avatar
United States, WA, Enumclaw
Joined Sep 2006
4,194 Posts
Re: Options for 14MZ owners

Yeah this is nothing new - Hitec servos haven't played well with Futaba in the past either.
Flyfalcons is offline Find More Posts by Flyfalcons
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2008, 11:10 AM
03fomoco is offline
Find More Posts by 03fomoco
Recovering Shankboner
03fomoco's Avatar
Tucson AZ
Joined Sep 2007
135 Posts
Re: Options for 14MZ owners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
Just to be clear, the "low voltage" thing is NOT a problem. The RX is DESIGNED that way. It uses a new generation chip that runs at a lower voltage. It is not an issue unless you are using certain Hitec servos which cannot recognize the lower signal voltage. Futaba and JR servos work fine.

It's a special chip alright, not only does it run at a lower voltage it also goes into powersave mode (patent pending) when it thinks it is to hot for you to fly. With all these issues I am starting to wonder if this was actually a design or an oversight.
03fomoco is offline Find More Posts by 03fomoco
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2008, 12:21 PM
preston blake is offline
Find More Posts by preston blake
Flyin' Around
preston blake's Avatar
Gainesville,FL
Joined Feb 2007
25 Posts
Re: Options for 14MZ owners

For me the low voltage is a problem...I like to use Hitec servos plus older Powerboxes have to be sent back to the manufacturer to be modified to work with the 6114
preston blake is offline Find More Posts by preston blake
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2008, 12:38 PM
Judge is online now
Find More Posts by Judge
Team Futaba
Judge's Avatar
United States, CA, Ladera Ranch
Joined Jan 2006
11,452 Posts
Re: Options for 14MZ owners

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03fomoco View Post
It's a special chip alright, not only does it run at a lower voltage it also goes into powersave mode (patent pending) when it thinks it is to hot for you to fly. With all these issues I am starting to wonder if this was actually a design or an oversight.
Well, since Futaba has not completed their investigation of what is causing the heat ssues I don't think you can blame the chip. It might be the cause, it might not, so saying that it is right now is incorrect.
Judge is online now Find More Posts by Judge
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2008, 12:41 PM
Judge is online now
Find More Posts by Judge
Team Futaba
Judge's Avatar
United States, CA, Ladera Ranch
Joined Jan 2006
11,452 Posts
Re: Options for 14MZ owners

Quote:
Originally Posted by preston blake View Post
For me the low voltage is a problem...I like to use Hitec servos plus older Powerboxes have to be sent back to the manufacturer to be modified to work with the 6114
Hitec and other vendors whose designs do not work with the newer Futaba design are taking care of this, as they should since it is their equipment that is not compatible.

If they felt to was not their responsibility why are they making the repair??
Judge is online now Find More Posts by Judge
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2008, 05:43 PM
preston blake is offline
Find More Posts by preston blake
Flyin' Around
preston blake's Avatar
Gainesville,FL
Joined Feb 2007
25 Posts
Re: Options for 14MZ owners

As the initial post says, I'm seeking info from those who might have tried the Spectrum module on a 14 MZ... not being critical of any company or part. I've had Futaba equipment for 30 years and have been totally satisfied. At present most would agree there might be some problems. My concern is that as 2.4 becomes more prevalent people may become less careful about frequency controll on 72 and therefore I'm looking for an option untill Futaba sorts out their problems or at least gives us an "all clear" 0n the 6114 and 6008. So I repeat... anyone who has used a Spectrum module on a 14MZ and is willing to share their experience I'd love to hear it
preston blake is offline Find More Posts by preston blake
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2008, 07:31 PM
03fomoco is offline
Find More Posts by 03fomoco
Recovering Shankboner
03fomoco's Avatar
Tucson AZ
Joined Sep 2007
135 Posts
Re: Options for 14MZ owners

Quote:
Originally Posted by preston blake View Post
As the initial post says, I'm seeking info from those who might have tried the Spectrum module on a 14 MZ... not being critical of any company or part. I've had Futaba equipment for 30 years and have been totally satisfied. At present most would agree there might be some problems. My concern is that as 2.4 becomes more prevalent people may become less careful about frequency controll on 72 and therefore I'm looking for an option untill Futaba sorts out their problems or at least gives us an "all clear" 0n the 6114 and 6008. So I repeat... anyone who has used a Spectrum module on a 14MZ and is willing to share their experience I'd love to hear it
Please see second post...
03fomoco is offline Find More Posts by 03fomoco
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2008, 07:43 PM
03fomoco is offline
Find More Posts by 03fomoco
Recovering Shankboner
03fomoco's Avatar
Tucson AZ
Joined Sep 2007
135 Posts
Re: Options for 14MZ owners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
Well, since Futaba has not completed their investigation of what is causing the heat ssues I don't think you can blame the chip. It might be the cause, it might not, so saying that it is right now is incorrect.
Judge you seem like a bright guy but I must admit you seem somewhat of a plant for Futaba on here. You seem to think that the manufacture will be open, honest, and all knowing. I am truely sorry to hijack this but take a second and think about the feet dragging and half a$$ antenna fix for the 5014 receiver and then having the gaul to ask for 120 dollars for the new 5114 upgrade. I am sure being sponsered is great but step back for a minute and think about the quality of the 9z for 1992 and compare that to what is being shoved down our throats now. Sadly if Spektrum did not take off, Futaba would never even have started on 2.4. Their slogan is we have 15 years of 2.4 experience. I want to know why they waited till now to bring it to us. No matter what is wrong with these receivers the punch has been thrown and the black eye is there. The IMAC here in Tucson had 2 pilots on FASST. The Phoenix Heli funfly had 0 non sponsered pilots out of 60.

Dave
03fomoco is offline Find More Posts by 03fomoco
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2008, 07:50 PM
Flyfalcons is offline
Find More Posts by Flyfalcons
Hero to the masses
Flyfalcons's Avatar
United States, WA, Enumclaw
Joined Sep 2006
4,194 Posts
Re: Options for 14MZ owners

Dave if you look on the NW IMAC forum here you'll see a 2.4 thread with a poll - close to half respondants hit FASST and just over half respondants hit JR and Spektrum combined. As you can see and as has been said to you before, what you are experiencing is a regional thing.
Flyfalcons is offline Find More Posts by Flyfalcons
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2008, 08:16 PM
03fomoco is offline
Find More Posts by 03fomoco
Recovering Shankboner
03fomoco's Avatar
Tucson AZ
Joined Sep 2007
135 Posts
Re: Options for 14MZ owners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyfalcons View Post
Dave if you look on the NW IMAC forum here you'll see a 2.4 thread with a poll - close to half respondants hit FASST and just over half respondants hit JR and Spektrum combined. As you can see and as has been said to you before, what you are experiencing is a regional thing.
Huh, 40 people out of the whole NW, in one demographic "IMAC" is a good poll? The question was also who plans to switch and to what. I would like to see the registration sheets for the contest. I know here int he SW FASST is a small minority and in the heli community is non existent. All I seem to hear is that people want to wait until all the bugs are working out. I think Futaba will need Dale's Dead Bug before this is over. Don't get me wrong I have been a die hard Futaba guy for 8 years but lately I have been "shopping around" Also I don't remember when this was mentioned to me before so please enlighten me and I will recant.

Dave
03fomoco is offline Find More Posts by 03fomoco
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2008, 09:29 PM
dubd is offline
Find More Posts by dubd
Turbine Hucker
dubd's Avatar
Silicon Valley
Joined May 2007
1,607 Posts
Re: Options for 14MZ owners

A friend of mine was using his 12Z with the Spektrum module without any issues in terms of connection to the plane. The set-up of the module looked a bit hacked together, but everything worked as advertised.
dubd is offline Find More Posts by dubd
Last edited by dubd; 05-11-2008 at 09:50 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2008, 09:31 PM
xcellheli is offline
Find More Posts by xcellheli
Flyin' Around
Spokane
Joined Aug 2006
12 Posts
Re: Options for 14MZ owners

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03fomoco View Post
Huh, 40 people out of the whole NW, in one demographic "IMAC" is a good poll? The question was also who plans to switch and to what. I would like to see the registration sheets for the contest. I know here int he SW FASST is a small minority and in the heli community is non existent. All I seem to hear is that people want to wait until all the bugs are working out. I think Futaba will need Dale's Dead Bug before this is over. Don't get me wrong I have been a die hard Futaba guy for 8 years but lately I have been "shopping around" Also I don't remember when this was mentioned to me before so please enlighten me and I will recant.

Dave
Then buy the Spektrum and be done with it. It will save us the trouble of the rants. Your first post was helpful, the rest have been worthless.
xcellheli is offline Find More Posts by xcellheli
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message


Quick Reply
Message:


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DA 100 Owners Manual? 3Dkid330 Gas Engines 9 09-14-2008 08:30 AM
24cc engine options for a 1/4 cub pepito9 Gas Engines 22 05-13-2008 06:52 AM
Charger options for LI-Ion.... Paul Cataldo Onboard Electronics 20 03-13-2008 12:37 AM
3W 80 B2 Owners Manual jorgecajiao Gas Engines 0 11-30-2007 01:00 AM
12Z & 14Z Owners - What Receivers being Used? Fixed Wing Radios 18 01-27-2007 11:48 AM