logo
Old 09-23-2016, 08:09 AM
Find More Posts by djmoose
Lowlife
Macedonia, OH
Joined Mar 2010
600 Posts
Dave, were you logging I and Q values? do you see those drop to 0 for both Rx's before end of data? I'd like to see if they both drop at the same time.

Are you sure the end of the telemetry data is at the time of impact or when you lost control of the airplane? How are you sure of this? (not doubting you...just a question I would ask myself in this situation)

I'd also like to compare those I and Q values to your other flights at that same field. (same day would be best)

Did you have an alarm for signal loss? (I *think it's enabled by default)

I'd also like to check the Amp draw for each battery...did maybe a servo lock up or something drawing a ton of AMPs and lock up an aileron or cause some problems?

Trying to help man...I'm so sorry for your loss.
djmoose is offline Find More Posts by djmoose
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 09-23-2016, 08:46 AM
Find More Posts by Desertrat
Boerne Texas
Joined Feb 2007
895 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratobatics123 View Post
wow I have heard enough about ibecs I am gonna use and ignition battery and my old faithful setups on my pau ultimate on the bench isn't worth loosing a several thousand dollar plane over it weighing a few ounces less!!!!
just some perspective - I've been using the tech aero iBecs for a few years now on 7 different airframes, using JR/DSM with spektrum telemetry, as well as a Futaba 18SZ. I've had my battery alarms set to 7 volts, and I run LiPo both regulated and non regulated. I also run single receivers as well as dual receivers. I've logged hundreds of hours with these devices and never once had any kind of issue. I'm going to side with Terry and say that is seems extremely unlikely the ibec was the cause, but then again, I've never flown Jeti. YMMV.
Desertrat is offline Find More Posts by Desertrat
Old 09-23-2016, 09:27 AM
Find More Posts by Sukhoikid
Team Futaba
Joined Jan 2006
11,594 Posts
Am I missing something? I thought the tech aero ibec just controls ignition? How would this interfere with the rx? Guess I need to read a few pages. I am running my first tech aero in my 100cc plane. Is it more of it failing and draining the batteries? I have Smart-Fly ignition cut off and seperate battery on my Dalton

Sorry for your lost that is a really bad feeling for sure!
Sukhoikid is offline Find More Posts by Sukhoikid
Last edited by Sukhoikid; 09-23-2016 at 09:33 AM.
Old 09-23-2016, 09:36 AM
Find More Posts by Slats!
Joined Dec 2008
1,287 Posts
Drrraaammaa on post number 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratobatics123 View Post
wow I have heard enough about ibecs I am gonna use and ignition battery and my old faithful setups on my pau ultimate on the bench isn't worth loosing a several thousand dollar plane over it weighing a few ounces less!!!!
Slats! is offline Find More Posts by Slats!
Old 09-23-2016, 09:46 AM
Find More Posts by Islandflyer
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Mar 2007
2,476 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sukhoikid View Post
Am I missing something? I thought the tech aero ibec just controls ignition? How would this interfere with the rx? Guess I need to read a few pages. I am running my first tech aero in my 100cc plane. Is it more of it failing and draining the batteries? I have Smart-Fly ignition cut off and seperate battery on my Dalton

Sorry for your lost that is a really bad feeling for sure!
The Smartfly optical kill is not an IBEC: it simply used an optical cable to isolate the ignition swith (kill) from the receiver, while controlling its switching on/off. It is used with a separate ignition battery, eliminating any possibility of ignition noise traveling to the RX through any shared wire (optical cables transmit light, an are made of non-conducting material).

IBEC is: Ignition Battery Eliminator Circuit
It uses the RX battery to power the ignition, therefore has conducting cables between the ignition and the RX. It does have built-in noise filtering components (at least for the better ones).
Islandflyer is offline Find More Posts by Islandflyer
Old 09-23-2016, 10:07 AM
Find More Posts by Sukhoikid
Team Futaba
Joined Jan 2006
11,594 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandflyer View Post
The Smartfly optical kill is not an IBEC: it simply used an optical cable to isolate the ignition swith (kill) from the receiver, while controlling its switching on/off. It is used with a separate ignition battery, eliminating any possibility of ignition noise traveling to the RX through any shared wire (optical cables transmit light, an are made of non-conducting material).

IBEC is: Ignition Battery Eliminator Circuit
It uses the RX battery to power the ignition, therefore has conducting cables between the ignition and the RX. It does have built-in noise filtering components (at least for the better ones).
So it seems Smart-Fly is a better path to go. I understand what the differences are but it seems that if the ibec has an issue you might have interference.

I have always used smart fly ignition cut off. I do have a tech aero in my 120cc plane and have had no issues so far. Personally I didn't want to throw a third battery in that plane.
Sukhoikid is offline Find More Posts by Sukhoikid
Old 09-23-2016, 10:11 AM
Find More Posts by ratobatics123
United States, KY, Manitou
Joined Sep 2016
45 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats! View Post
Drrraaammaa on post number 2.

No drama mr slats. I just cant lie, I am a future sponsor of the pau Dalton crash owner( my big brother) So I am gonna be vested. just don't want a repeat
ratobatics123 is offline Find More Posts by ratobatics123
Last edited by ratobatics123; 09-23-2016 at 10:49 AM.
Old 09-23-2016, 10:12 AM
Find More Posts by columbo
IMAC
United States, OK, Norman
Joined Jan 2006
1,015 Posts
I know many have used the IBECS with no issues, but I am old school and don't like the idea of powering the ignition with the receiver battery. It is yet another component that introduces more room for failure. I like to keep these setups simple...two batteries to a powersafe receiver and a separate ignition battery.
columbo is offline Find More Posts by columbo
Old 09-23-2016, 10:15 AM
Find More Posts by ratobatics123
United States, KY, Manitou
Joined Sep 2016
45 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by columbo View Post
I know many have used the IBECS with no issues, but I am old school and don't like the idea of powering the ignition with the receiver battery. It is yet another component that introduces more room for failure. I like to keep these setups simple...two batteries to a powersafe receiver and a separate ignition battery.
I second this..
ratobatics123 is offline Find More Posts by ratobatics123
Old 09-23-2016, 12:42 PM
Find More Posts by Desertrat
Boerne Texas
Joined Feb 2007
895 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by columbo View Post
To each his own. FWIW, I don't feel comfortable not having a radio kill for the ignition. I went through a series of SF Opto-kill failures (due to age) that prompted me to go to the iBec. So, pick your poison, you have a failure point at the ignition no matter what, a physical switch, an opt kill, or an iBec. Again, years of use, no issues.
Desertrat is offline Find More Posts by Desertrat
Old 09-23-2016, 12:49 PM
Find More Posts by wyo69cowboy
Gettin better 1 crash@ a time!
Cody WY
Joined Apr 2009
1,890 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertrat View Post
you have a failure point at the ignition no matter what, a physical switch, an opt kill, or an iBec.
Bingo! And another battery that could fail, short, etc. I've used TechAero IBEC's on 4 different planes with many, many flights, no issues. I did however, have issues with a couple RcEXL IBECs of similar design, and I have had one anecdotal report of another local flyer having an issue with the TechAero, so it IS possible for any electrical component to have an issue...again, to each his own.

And, sorry to the OP for the loss--that smashed DA200 pic made me sick
wyo69cowboy is offline Find More Posts by wyo69cowboy
Old 09-23-2016, 01:27 PM
Find More Posts by Islandflyer
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Mar 2007
2,476 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyo69cowboy View Post
Bingo! And another battery that could fail, short, etc. I've used TechAero IBEC's on 4 different planes with many, many flights, no issues. I did however, have issues with a couple RcEXL IBECs of similar design, and I have had one anecdotal report of another local flyer having an issue with the TechAero, so it IS possible for any electrical component to have an issue...again, to each his own.

And, sorry to the OP for the loss--that smashed DA200 pic made me sick
True that everything can fail, whether IBEC or Opti-kill and separate battery.
However, in the Opti-kill scenario, the shorted battery, failed regulator, or sudden excessive RF noise from the ignition (the latter happened to me twice on proven planes/engines) cannot propagate to the rest of there electronics, as there is no conducting wire linking the ignition system and the receiver system. So, I can potentially have a dad stick, which can happen with any system.

I have asked several electronics engineers in this business (I am not one of them- but I wish), and they told me that there is simply no way to design a usable IBEC circuit that can completely filter all possible ignition noises (that can happen when ignition filtering fails, which happened to me twice), or eliminate possible sudden current spikes.

So I too know a lot of people who have successfully used IBEC's for a long time. I even have friends who currently fly with a single battery, and the ignition is simply plugged into an open receiver channel (no switch, regulator or opti-kill).

I also know some people who have been driving for decades without buckling seat belts: it doesn't mean it is the best practice for me.

I use seat belts, and I use a separate ignition batteries.
Islandflyer is offline Find More Posts by Islandflyer
Old 09-23-2016, 01:47 PM
Find More Posts by Keith Cannon
Only Amateurs Measure First
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Apr 2016
1,389 Posts
As someone in the electrical industry (and working on my EE degree) I do not see the IBEC as a suspect. If there was telemetry data coming back until the crash it sounds like the RX's were working fine.

I am wondering if the Transmitter circuitry in the TX somehow froze up and stopped sending the updated stick commands to the RX. The RX is still receiving the signal which keeps it out of failsafe, and is sending back Telemetry data.
Keith Cannon is offline Find More Posts by Keith Cannon
Old 09-23-2016, 02:27 PM
Find More Posts by dhal22
United States, GA, Roswell
Joined Apr 2009
2,478 Posts
How in the world could a device diverting some of the available electricity to the ignition affect the connection/ link between the transmitter and receivers?
dhal22 is offline Find More Posts by dhal22
Old 09-23-2016, 02:30 PM
Find More Posts by dhal22
United States, GA, Roswell
Joined Apr 2009
2,478 Posts
Odd to not see esprit model yammering here about how if the plane owner was using a Jeti this would have never happened,.
dhal22 is offline Find More Posts by dhal22

Quick Reply