logo
Old 04-12-2020, 12:33 PM
Find More Posts by ululi1970
United States, NC, Chapel Hill
Joined Jan 2016
51 Posts
Discussion
rx ground to engine body?

I have a Zenoah 80cc with the self contained ignition, the one that does not need an external battery. I have a three way switch operated by a servo as a kill switch. I was thinking about connecting the other pin to turn on a LED to let me know that the ignition is hot, but for that I would need to ground the Rx system to the engine block. Is this a good idea?
ululi1970 is offline Find More Posts by ululi1970
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 04-12-2020, 02:26 PM
Find More Posts by Truckracer
Des Moines, Iowa USA
Joined Nov 2007
5,405 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ululi1970 View Post
I have a Zenoah 80cc with the self contained ignition, the one that does not need an external battery. I have a three way switch operated by a servo as a kill switch. I was thinking about connecting the other pin to turn on a LED to let me know that the ignition is hot, but for that I would need to ground the Rx system to the engine block. Is this a good idea?
Bad idea! Especially with a mag ignition like you have, you want no connection between that noisy, EFI producing mag and your receiver.

If you must have a light, use a completely separate battery / wiring and completely isolate the mag switch from the receiver by a non metalic link such as a nyrod. Also keep some distance between the switch and the radio system keeping all mag related wiring as short as possible. Even if you don't use the light, isolate the switch from the radio. Reason: wiring connected to a mag acts like an antenna for the RFI energy from the mag.

You might consider converting the engine to electronic ignition using one of the available kits from companies like RC Extreme Power. Then any mag related issues go away. Then you could use a IBEC like the TechAero that comes with a light in your choice of colors.
Truckracer is offline Find More Posts by Truckracer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply