logo
Old 01-08-2006, 09:29 PM
Find More Posts by Biff
South Carolina
Joined Jan 2006
3,223 Posts
Pattern anyone?

Brace yourselves! Okay guys, you know I have given all my buds (world's best included!) both barrels regarding lawn darts, smoothies, pointy nosed money on wings,,,, or any other word I've used for pattern planes. I flew pattern years ago (getting my butt handed to me time and time again) and still have some of the earlier airplanes.

I've talked to several buds who fly pattern these days and must say, pattern has changed for the better. Used to be only the country club group flew these things and it was not a very friendly atmosphere. Need a prop between rounds,,, good luck! Now the vibe is much better and guys are having fun flying again!

My thought here is to see what you guys think about adding a thread for pattern on the Giant site. It was pointed out we back IMAC 100%,, why not throw us a bone? Seems to me if the pattern guys would like to have a user friendly home for discussion and shooting the breeze perhaps it might be fun.

I know they are a wealth of information. Trimming and getting the utmost out of airplanes are right down their alley. We've got some of the best in the business on the Giants already. Why not give 'em a spot? For those of you saying Biffy has gone soft,,, you're wrong! For those of you who say I've done a 180,,,, you're RIGHT!

Give us your thoughts guys! My thinking is we could learn some great stuff from them and maybe they could learn something from us,,,,,,, I say we give 'em a thread. There's already lawn darts on the Giant site,,,,, thoughts??

Biffy
Biff is offline Find More Posts by Biff
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 01-08-2006, 09:33 PM
Find More Posts by F3AFlyer7
L'ectrics r COOOOOL!!!
New Baltimore, Michigan
Joined Jan 2006
281 Posts
Re: Pattern anyone?

Biff you know I'm all for it! I think it will be a good resource as I'm seeing more and more pattern fliers on here, and I think it will be a good place for us to bring a little interest toward the sport. FC and even FG has always primarially been an IMAC/3D site. I think pattern will be a good addition as helis have been.
F3AFlyer7 is offline Find More Posts by F3AFlyer7
Old 01-08-2006, 09:51 PM
Find More Posts by marpman
Joined Jan 2006
197 Posts

All sorts of R/C models should be represented and I respect each individuals love for what they fly.
One thing I have noticed with Pattern F3A flyers not all but most that I have known, the ones in our club paticually really don't want to know you if you don't fly Pattern planes.
Seems to me like they think that the IMAC comps may be the demise of Pattern in Australia.

What I like about IMAC is that the models that are flown represent a full size aircraft where as a Pattern Plane does not. Also I find that the pattern can be very clinical and they don't seem to do anything but fly schedules, boring.

With IMAC scale aircraft, these guys are a different breed they can do there schedules at the IMAC comp and then goof off doing 3D which is most interesting. I know for a fact if there is an F3A Pattern comp at our field the spectators dont show up.
But when there is an IMAC comp on there seems to be all these people show up to check out these models. We have a field which is next to a freeway and it is unreal how so many people stop to have a look.

Just putting in my views, some may like it some may not. I don't wish to offend anyone
marpman is offline Find More Posts by marpman
Old 01-08-2006, 09:52 PM
Find More Posts by ShortBus
Workin' the pole
Hopewell Jct, NY
Joined Jan 2006
4,483 Posts

Wooohooo Go Pattern!

Gottahave a pattern forum
ShortBus is offline Find More Posts by ShortBus
Old 01-08-2006, 09:52 PM
Find More Posts by mwick
Gettin' Lower!
The Woodlands, TX
Joined Jan 2006
72 Posts

I think a pattern thread would be great.

Scott are you going electric this year, if so what is your setup going to be?

Job well done at last year's NATs, moving up to Masters this year?
mwick is offline Find More Posts by mwick
Old 01-08-2006, 09:55 PM
Find More Posts by Judge
Team Futaba
United States, CA, Ladera Ranch
Joined Jan 2006
11,549 Posts

Just what we need. A bunch of pattern pukes hanging here.

Pattern is too easy. The planes fly damn near perfectly and track like nothing really has a right to track. They can draw straight lines like a laser and just flat fly like you can't believe.

So where's the challenge in that. Plus no Unknowns?? Weenies. :aa:

And did I forget to point out that they use GLOW FUEL!!! YIKES!!! $25 a gallon!!!
Judge is online now Find More Posts by Judge
Old 01-08-2006, 09:59 PM
L'ectrics r COOOOOL!!!
New Baltimore, Michigan
Joined Jan 2006
281 Posts

Mike,

We were thinking about going electric but I want to be completely used to my airplane when I fly Masters this year. So yes I will be moving up. However, we're doing an Aero-Models 1.40 Funtana in electric with a PJS 8000 outrunner and Tanic 10s3p 5000's. I'm just going to transfer this equipment to a pattern plane in 07. How about Brett? I heard him saying somthing about going right to masters. He flew absolutely amazing in 05 I remember judging him. He should rock in 06!!! You guys going electric?
Old 01-08-2006, 10:01 PM
L'ectrics r COOOOOL!!!
New Baltimore, Michigan
Joined Jan 2006
281 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge

Pattern is too easy. The planes fly damn near perfectly and track like nothing really has a right to track. They can draw straight lines like a laser and just flat fly like you can't believe.

And did I forget to point out that they use GLOW FUEL!!! YIKES!!! $25 a gallon!!!
Are you being serious?
Old 01-08-2006, 10:10 PM
Find More Posts by Judge
Team Futaba
Joined Jan 2006
11,549 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by F3AFlyer7
Are you being serious?
Absolutely.

You think I'd joke about something like this???
Old 01-08-2006, 10:11 PM
Find More Posts by Kiwi
Chile
Joined Jan 2006
5,983 Posts

Bifford dude,

Bring it on. It has a lot going for it. Those guys are friggin freaks when it comes to setting up a plane. They fly like they fly because someone made them to do that. So they might crank a few IMAC guys over to the grey side to liven up the camaraderie and spirit. Thats good too.

However the IMAC and GS guys can learn a ton from them if you stay quiet and listen long enough.

If you want to see the epitomy of an all round guy who uses his experience in every avenue of this sport just take a look at Peter Goldsmith. They just dont come any better than that guy and if we can get guys like him across onto our site then lets do it. It can only be good, there are no downsides to letting the guys have a place to hang out and join the fun.

Kiwi
Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by Kiwi
Old 01-08-2006, 10:14 PM
Find More Posts by Judge
Team Futaba
Joined Jan 2006
11,549 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi
If you want to see the epitomy of an all round guy who uses his experience in every avenue of this sport just take a look at Peter Goldsmith.
Kiwi
Oh Jeez!! A southern Hemisphere Love In!!!
Old 01-08-2006, 10:23 PM
Find More Posts by MetHerInBaghdad
Cheaper than Botox
San Diego
Joined Jan 2006
786 Posts

Add the pattern forum and then monitor who visits the forum.
Bet most of the haters would secretly go there to find out how to fly straight.

By the way can I still use terms like 'straight'?
No intent to unfairly place a label on those of us who like women only.
I know the Giants is open to anyone, no matter which side of the runway they land on.....though I was taught a 'downwind landing' will get you in trouble.

Ah heck, open the thread already will ya.............
MetHerInBaghdad is offline Find More Posts by MetHerInBaghdad
Old 01-08-2006, 10:23 PM
Find More Posts by Biff
South Carolina
Joined Jan 2006
3,223 Posts

Judge,,, now now,, stop picking on people or I'll stop calling you Mr.!! It all makes sense now. Good natured fun,, DRY sense of humor. Honestly guys I was laughing when I saw the Judge's trademark sarcasm. He is a good dude trust me!
Biff is offline Find More Posts by Biff
Old 01-08-2006, 10:27 PM
L'ectrics r COOOOOL!!!
New Baltimore, Michigan
Joined Jan 2006
281 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff
Judge,,, now now,, stop picking on people or I'll stop calling you Mr.!! It all makes sense now. Good natured fun,, DRY sense of humor. Honestly guys I was laughing when I saw the Judge's trademark sarcasm. He is a good dude trust me!
Had me fooled! Thats why I love this place haha.
Old 01-08-2006, 10:44 PM
Find More Posts by madmax
The Michael Jordan of RC
United States, CA, Aliso Viejo
Joined Jan 2006
22,515 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge

ROTFLMAO!!!! To be honest, I'm completely ignorant when it comes to anything pattern but I know it's pretty big... somewhere.... Now's the time to do it, maybe we need a poll..... not a pole bob, a voting thread.

MD
madmax is offline Find More Posts by madmax

Quick Reply